Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abandoned fruit groves in Spain...

keithisco

Living on the Mediterranean coast of Spain I am daily reminded of the thousands of hectares of abandoned Orange, Lime, Lemon, Tomato, Almond and Olive groves. Driving from Madrid to the southern Costas there are thousands more hectares of abandoned groves and orchards where the fruit ripens and eventually spoils either on the trees or on the ground.

Would it be beyond the wit of mankind, or the UN, to instigate a programme of recovery of these fruits which could be pressed, juiced, and frozen to distribute to areas of crisis in the world when needed??

In reality, shouldn't a United Nations be capable of funding and developing such a project - manned by volunteers for the harvesting? Could not the unemployed be requested to assist in this, thus giving them a sense of society and worth?

I would gladly donate my time to such a worthwhile endeavour - the cost to mankind / UN would be the processing and storage of a commodity that offers so much more than just slaking the thirst of starving people in this world.

Logistics of ferrying the produce will always be raised, but Hybrid Air vehicles (Helium transport vehicles) can be built that are capable of ferrying 1000 tonnes of produce at a time and are ideally suited to such projects.

I live in hope, but without expectation....

• Like 5

I think it's worth suggesting. I'm sure there's all sorts of legal issues... but perhaps suggest something to a local town along the lines of "give the unemployed something to do and feed them cheaply if they help tend the trees and pick the fruit.

• Like 3

Living on the Mediterranean coast of Spain I am daily reminded of the thousands of hectares of abandoned Orange, Lime, Lemon, Tomato, Almond and Olive groves. Driving from Madrid to the southern Costas there are thousands more hectares of abandoned groves and orchards where the fruit ripens and eventually spoils either on the trees or on the ground.

Would it be beyond the wit of mankind, or the UN, to instigate a programme of recovery of these fruits which could be pressed, juiced, and frozen to distribute to areas of crisis in the world when needed??

In reality, shouldn't a United Nations be capable of funding and developing such a project - manned by volunteers for the harvesting? Could not the unemployed be requested to assist in this, thus giving them a sense of society and worth?

I would gladly donate my time to such a worthwhile endeavour - the cost to mankind / UN would be the processing and storage of a commodity that offers so much more than just slaking the thirst of starving people in this world.

Logistics of ferrying the produce will always be raised, but Hybrid Air vehicles (Helium transport vehicles) can be built that are capable of ferrying 1000 tonnes of produce at a time and are ideally suited to such projects.

I live in hope, but without expectation....

Why are these fields going unharvested? Who owns these properties? Is there a farm hand shortage there?

I am as big a fan of aviation as anyone but the cheapest air transport costs a lot more than shipping by boat. http://www.universalcargo.com/blog/bid/71724/4-Factors-for-Considering-Air-Freight-vs-Ocean-Freight As for the various exciting airship designs in the news, they are hideously expensive and in the "alpha model" phase. Alaska has been promised an airship for remote surveys but it had to cancel the summer before last and did not even try to fly here this summer. I would not bet on that horse until I at least see it able to walk the whole race track two of three tries.

Even then by using resources near home other resources can be freed up closer to other people in need. Are there "farmers coops" there that might be able to harvest and distribute these wasted foods? One trick old farms that cannot turn a profit in the US have turned to is "Pick Your Own" where people pay you for the privilege of picking their own food. The fee could even be in the form of a donation to help a charitable organization.

I hate seeing food and other resources go to waste too.

• Like 2

I can recall leftover food in mass quantity at Army basic training at Fort Jackson in Columbia S.C. The NCOs in the mess said the food HAD to be sealed and thrown away - couldn't legally be given to the homeless. All because one of them might get a tummy ache and sue the federal gov.

• Like 2

I am surprised there aren't locals all diving in and helping themselves - I know I would if that was anywhere near me, what a waste.

• Like 4

I am surprised there aren't locals all diving in and helping themselves - I know I would if that was anywhere near me, what a waste.

A local solution ought be sought before looking to a global organization

of non-elected foreigners to meddle in matters wherefrom they are so

remote and aloof as to best remain uninvolved.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

I can recall leftover food in mass quantity at Army basic training at Fort Jackson in Columbia S.C. The NCOs in the mess said the food HAD to be sealed and thrown away - couldn't legally be given to the homeless. All because one of them might get a tummy ache and sue the federal gov.

Coincidentally I went to Basic at Ft. Jackson in '79. I recently had the luxury of eating at a mess hall again and now understand that they cannot even give/sell/barter the waste food with pig farms since someone might get sick eating the pork and be able to sue the federal government. This makes me think that the biggest waste of food might be the excess lawyer population. :innocent:

Back to original wasted orchard problem in Spain though - IF the problem boils down to the cost effectiveness or harvesting orchards then in addition to the "pick your own" business solution leasing the property to pig farmers each fall when the almonds or olives drop might be a way to turn a profit with fewer workers. "Almond fed bacon" just might bring a premium price. Or:

http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-dipped-smoked-almond-bacon-brittle-477905

http://www.efncp.org...-spain-navarra/

This article does not offer any single explanation for the abandoned orchards of Spain but it sounds like it is just become too much work for too little profit. A lot of Appalachian farm land is in a similar state but with few orchards the main evidence there is big empty barns.

http://www.pickyourown.org/WV.htm

• Like 1

I've lived near orchards unharvested due to insufficient rain,

which shrivels nuts and leaves fruit overly fibrous versus succulent and sweet.

Edited by aka CAT

There is also the other problem that the children of the farmers just do not find it "sexy" to become farmers and go off to the bigger cities or abroad to learn something else. As the farm owners become older it becomes increasingly difficult for them to maintain the orchards and groves. Eventually, when they die then no-one wants to take over the old way of life and the farms become abandoned. The trees still produce their fruit but are no longer pruned to maximise productivity. This is true (I believe) in many European states.

This is why I suggest National or International organisations to take on the task of upkeep (basically pruning and harvesting) with the fruits being held in Bonded Storage and made available only for relief efforts. This way the price achieved by those farmers still supplying into the local markets will not suffer.

It would be a huge undertaking for planning and storage (Spain is not good at planning **understatement**) which is why I think it would only be feasible under the auspices of UNICEF or similar international relief agency.

There is also the question of National Govts having the will pursue this, but for a country like Spain with 25% unemployment, and 50% unemployment in the under 25 age group, it could be coupled with training in Animal and Farm Husbandry leading to a useful formal qualification boost and even the possibility of leasing farmland directly the graduates of the programme to maintain and enhance their skills whilst earning an income.

I am sure that ordinary people, like myself, could come up with lots of similar schemes that just require the will of governments and international agencies to be implemented, knowing full well that there is not enough Political gain for this to become reality

• Like 1

There is also the other problem that the children of the farmers just do not find it "sexy" to become farmers and go off to the bigger cities or abroad to learn something else. As the farm owners become older it becomes increasingly difficult for them to maintain the orchards and groves. Eventually, when they die then no-one wants to take over the old way of life and the farms become abandoned. The trees still produce their fruit but are no longer pruned to maximise productivity. This is true (I believe) in many European states.

Exactly. I have seen a lot of family farms abandoned across the US for the same reason. Our TV shows and other media all use the same formula that in order to be "cool" and "sexy" teenagers have to move to the big city and become rich stage actresses and musicians leaving only "losers" to take "menial" jobs like farming, construction, repairing, etc... Of course when they move to the big city they become unemployed or underemployed as waiters and shelf stockers. Once upon a time people were happy to have a reliable source of income that put food on the table and kept them out of debt.

This is why I suggest National or International organisations to take on the task of upkeep (basically pruning and harvesting) with the fruits being held in Bonded Storage and made available only for relief efforts. This way the price achieved by those farmers still supplying into the local markets will not suffer.

It would be a huge undertaking for planning and storage (Spain is not good at planning **understatement**) which is why I think it would only be feasible under the auspices of UNICEF or similar international relief agency.

There is also the question of National Govts having the will pursue this, but for a country like Spain with 25% unemployment, and 50% unemployment in the under 25 age group, it could be coupled with training in Animal and Farm Husbandry leading to a useful formal qualification boost and even the possibility of leasing farmland directly the graduates of the programme to maintain and enhance their skills whilst earning an income.

I am sure that ordinary people, like myself, could come up with lots of similar schemes that just require the will of governments and international agencies to be implemented, knowing full well that there is not enough Political gain for this to become reality

I do not share your confidence in the UN or any other world ordering group. Even good employees just do not have the motivation of an actual business owner and the sort of people drawn to governing others are even worse. Militaries tend to be dynamic because they have a goal and train. The US had some success recovering from the Great Depression using the Civilian Conservation Corps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_Conservation_Corps It used borrowed military leadership and tried to train the unemployed to find steady jobs. It came under a fair amount of criticism in its day but the US has been enjoying the benefits of the infrastructure that they built for many decades. They built bridges, schools, parks, rental cabins, and the likes which usually far outlasted their expected life. There have been some local versions established recently like: http://www.servealaska.org/ but I get the impression that the kids they put to work tend to have lots of opportunities already.

Possibly the best thing that a government could do is to "give the opportunity away" then remove themselves from the process. Sell these orchards for 1 Euro an acre and if they cannot pay their taxes in three years confiscate it and sell it to someone else until it turns a profit. Some US states have "quickclaim" laws where you can pay the back taxes on abandoned lands, contact any heirs who might have claims to the property, and if no one wants to pay the taxes back it is yours. I have a friend who picked up almost a hundred acres in the North Carolina hills. He had to mail almost thirty registered letters to potential heirs and only one fellow in California contacted him. The Californian admitted that he could not afford to own the land so they settled that he could stay in the guest cabin there IF he ever traveled to North Carolina and wanted to see the old family farm. Everyone was happy. This land is now mostly used for hunting but then hunting is a form of low impact agriculture.

ak CAT - even low grade nuts and fruits has potential value. One of my favorite sayings when I ran a business was "Profit is made when you buy merchandise not when you sell it." Low grade fruit can still usually be run through a juice press. Ferment it and you can increase your profits. Nuts fatten livestock and fruit and nut tree prunings tend to make very good smoking wood.

Angry-Orchard-Lineup.png

All good ideas but not "get rich quick deals." Maybe supporting groups like FFA https://www.ffa.org/Pages/default.aspx will help make diversified farming cool again. Maybe Amish and Mormons will take an interest in these cheap abandoned farms. Me, I am getting a little long in the tooth for this sort of physical work (and my wife would probably veto it. Probably.)

Here are a couple of links to the UN's World Food Program. They relate to a couple of men who know how to get things like you are suggesting done.

Your idea is really a good one.

For inquiries, please contact: WFPSecretarytotheEB@wfp.org

George McGovern

Bono Vox

Executive Boardwebsite says at the bottom:

For inquiries, please contact: WFPSecretarytotheEB@wfp.org, i.e.

For inquiries, please contact: WFPSecretarytotheEB@wfp.org

In the meantime you might enjoy McGovern's book:

Ending Hunger Now:

and

The Third Freedom: Ending Hunger in Our Time a workable, sustainable plan to end hunger. --MOA

Edited by MyOtherAccount
  • Like 1