Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best up-to-date science/etc recommendations

Q-C

Since many of you are extremely knowledgeable in various sciences and scientific knowledge "changes" or grows rapidly in some areas, I'd love some recommendations on:

1. Favorite periodicals (available to the general public!)

2. Favorite Websites

3. Favorite scientists current and past: Book titles, papers, etc., to follow and pay attention to

For any scientific discipline: Biology, physics, anthropology, astronomy, even current events, etc., and more specific subtopics

4. How do you rate National Geographic? Popular Science? Psychology Today? The Wall Street Journal? (old standbys)

Maybe others like me who aren't so knowledgeable on UM or who want to bone up on something, might find these useful for UM discussions and understanding posts and OP's and deconstructing certain POV's.

Anyway, thanks and I hope a lot of you will reply! Being (more) knowledgeable is something we can all use in sorting out our world.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

No real favorite periodicals (Scientific American has gone all "Time Magazine" in the past few decades.)

Phil Plait is a favorite for astronomy. Pharyngula for many other things. The EEF mailing list for current Egyptology news (though this is a closed list.)

Al Jazeera for general news.

An oldie but a goody is Freud's conscious, unconscious mind theory, for me anyway it really gels with my ideology on why people are the way they are and behave a certain way.

I am a scientist, so I get most of my science news from peer-reviewed and subscription-based journals.

But outside that, Ars Technica is probably my favourite source. It is computer-focussed, but often has good general science articles as well.

You are certainly correct that scientific knowledge can progress quickly. This report done in 2006 concluded there were approximately 1,350,000 articles published that year, and the number grows by a few percent each year, so it may be a little over 1.5 million this year.

I visit PLOS One frequently. It is an open access online journal, and has both an internal and external peer review process. I think the journal's average number of published articles is over 600 a week.

Scientific Reports is another peer reviewed open access online journal and is hosted by Nature.

The journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences is also peer reviewed and allows open access to summaries of their most recent articles and complete access to them 6 months after publication (I believe).

LiveScience is more of a blog of recent scientific reports, usually their articles are just a summary of the published article, though they will often have a few interview questions with either those involved in the research, or someone else who works in the field for their opinions and thoughts. They almost always have the original article cited or at least the name of the journal and date so you could take note if you wanted.

I will occasionally visit the local university as their library is open to the public, at least to sit and read, no check outs. They have open access to many journals via their computers, so if there is an article that is not open access currently, often I can access it as a downloadable pdf.

Since many of you are extremely knowledgeable in various sciences and scientific knowledge "changes" or grows rapidly in some areas, I'd love some recommendations on:

1. Favorite periodicals (available to the general public!)

2. Favorite Websites

3. Favorite scientists current and past: Book titles, papers, etc., to follow and pay attention to

For any scientific discipline: Biology, physics, anthropology, astronomy, even current events, etc., and more specific subtopics

4. How do you rate National Geographic? Popular Science? Psychology Today? The Wall Street Journal? (old standbys)

Maybe others like me who aren't so knowledgeable on UM or who want to bone up on something, might find these useful for UM discussions and understanding posts and OP's and deconstructing certain POV's.

Anyway, thanks and I hope a lot of you will reply! Being (more) knowledgeable is something we can all use in sorting out our world.

But where that knowledge comes from and why they are propogating it is brought to question. I go to places where my information isn't being cherry-picked by someone else that I am sure I would not trust in person.

These are where I generally go:

This one first and foremost - http://www.eurekalert.org/pubnews.php

This second http://phys.org/

When it comes to health issues, because of my nursing education and because of my spouse's pharmaceutical job and his extensive educaiton and professional experience, we assess the study designs and conclusions from the data ourselves.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/latest

The last place we go is to government sites for health information. But then he works with the agencies that we avoid and knows the inside workings of them. And we simply no longer trust governments to tell the truth these days.

I no longer consider the CDC a valid authority on anything. The onlly goo9d information I get from the CDC is that the information they present is what we are supposed to believe. It is NOT however what I believe a good portion of the time.

I also buy books, hard copies, Text books, investigative books, informative books. Very seldom do I read a fiction book. I will never read 50 SHADES OF GREY. I have a good enough imagination that if I need that kind of strange kink fix, I can do it myself.

Edited by regeneratia

Spectrum.org is a collection of articles run by ieee. It has latest updates on all the fields. Also if you want the best peer reviewed papers subscribe to ieee.