Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Burger King at it again...

StRoostifer

LONDON — British and Irish burger fans could face a Whopper shortage. Burger King has stopped buying beef from an Irish meat processor whose patties were found to contain traces of horsemeat.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Burger-King-drops-supplier-linked-to-horsemeat-4225844.php

This article here is just scary!

The veterinarian drug, Bute, was found in the horses slaughtered for meat and sent to processing plants to be passed off as beef in products sold to customers. Bute, a.k.a. phenybutazone, is a painkiller and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) used on horses and considered harmful to humans if ingested.

In the US and the UK Bute has been shown to cause the suppression of white blood cell production; as well as aplastic anemia. The drug was created to treat rheumatoid arthritis and gout over 60 years ago.

This drug has been linked to cancer and banned from use.

http://www.occupycorporatism.com/home/taco-bell-burger-king-other-brands-using-horse-meat-in-products/

Man am I glad I changed my diet! I used to live on fast food. :yes:

• Like 1

I wish people would just sell us real food...

• Like 7

I wish people would just sell us real food...

Unfortunately, the best way to be sure you're buying real food is in the grocery section of the food store where the fruits and veggies are sold.

Its a shame. I used to love fast food. Burger King and Wendy's had my favorite burgers, McDonalds my favorite fries and breakfast menu, Wendy's for chicken sandwich, Popeye's and KFC for chicken, also used to love eating a few big slices of pizza for lunch. Now, all those foods destroy my guts something fierce and cannot eat them anymore , ever.

• Like 1

This post reminded me of an old commercial.

[media=]

[/media]

:lol:

I remember those commercials!

Just be glad you guys aren't in Taiwan :

In mid May 2011, Taiwanese authorities reported that two Taiwanese companies[3] Yu Shen Chemical Co. and Pin Han Perfumery Co. were using plasticizer DEHP in clouding agents the firms manufactured.[3] This was used as a substitute for palm oil in clouding agents as a way to keep cost down and improve profits.[3] However, Wei Te Chemical Co., a manufacturer of clouding agents, claims that "the reason most businesses tended to utilize illegal clouding agents was not because of price, but rather the long preservation periods and esthetically pleasing effect of using DEHP-laced products."[5]

Near the end of May 2011, the Taiwanese government had begun seizures of contaminated products and announced a ban from exporting.[6] Later, the list for government safety checks was extended to syrups, tablets, pastries, and powders.[7] By May 27, 2011, "up to 465,638 bottles of DEHP-tainted beverages have been pulled out from store shelves. Also, up to 270,822 boxes and 68,924 packs of powdered probiotics and 28,539 kilos of fruit juices, fruit jam, powder and syrup, and yoghurt powder have been removed from shelves",[8] according to EcoWaste Coalition and a report from Taiwan's Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

As of mid June, there are roughly 900 products which have been recalled from nearly 40,000 Taiwanese retailers.[9] Some media reports, including in The Economist, conclude that Taiwan's former reputation as a reliable and safe food manufacturing country has been damaged.[9]

Taiwanese prosecutors alleges that one of the company Yu Shen at the centre of the crisis has used 5 tonne of DEHP every month to manufacture clouding agents which is supplied to food processing firms and pastry shops.[10] There were 95 Taiwanese manufacturers which has used the DEHP ingredient.[10] A further 244 ingredient manufacturing firms had also used the DEHP.[10]

The 2013 Taiwan food scandal refers to food safety incidents in Taiwan that began in October 2013. Affected products included cooking oil, health pills, alcoholic beverages, milk and rice.[1]

The series of incidents first came to light on 4 September 2014, when it was discovered that tainted cooking oil was being produced by Kaohsiung-based company Chang Guann Co. (強冠企業) and branded as Chuan Tung Fragrant Lard Oil (全統香豬油).[5] The company was found to have blended cooking oil with recycled oil, grease and leather cleaner. The recycled oil was processed by an unlicensed factory in Pingtung County owned by Kuo Lieh-cheng (郭烈成), who allegedly purchased the oil from waste recycler Hu Hsin-te (胡信德), whose factory is named Shun Te Enterprises (順德企業行), located in the Daliao District of Kaohsiung.[6][7]

Chang Guann purchased up to 243 tonnes of recycled waste oil disguised as lard from the Pingtung factory, starting in February 2014. The company then allegedly refined the waste oil before mixing it with processed lard and selling the tainted product to its distributors. The recycled waste oil was collected from restaurants, and included discarded animal parts, fat and skin.

On 11 September, reports revealed that in 2014, Chang Guann had also imported 87.72 tonnes of lard oil falsely listed for human consumption from Hong Kong-based Globalway Corp Ltd. (金寶運貿易) that were actually meant for animal use only. Since 2008, Chang Guann had imported 56 batches of lard oil weighing 2,385.1 tonnes from Hong Kong, about 300 tonnes of which were purchased from Globalway Corp between 2011 and 2014.[8]

The Taiwan Food Good Manufacturing Practice Development Association (TFGMPDA) reported that the cooking oil produced by Chang Guann has never been awarded GMP certification, although the TFGMPDA issued an apology saying that five food companies whose products have won GMP certification have used the tainted oil.[9]

~

• Like 2

Thanks for posting that third_eye. That's worse than what BK did. What's more scary is the stuff going on that we don't know of. :no:

• Like 3

Thanks for posting that third_eye. That's worse than what BK did. What's more scary is the stuff going on that we don't know of. :no:

And that is but the tip of the proverbial iceberg ... the rich goose is a laughing all the way to the banks ~ while the humble farmer ... the ones that really contributes and provides for the world ... is looked down upon as 'non productive' sectors to the GDP ~

You know way back in old time China ...

The merchants, traders, and peddlers of goods were viewed by the scholarly elite as essential members of society, yet were placed on the lowest of the four grades in the official Chinese social hierarchy, due to the view that they do not produce anything, only profit from others' creations. This was in spite the fact throughout Chinese history, the merchant class were often wealthy and held considerable influence above and beyond their supposed social standing. The scholars' attitudes towards commerce and business was almost universally apparent in their writings which denounced the merchant class as greedy and lacking moral character.[citation needed] It was also unacceptable for scholar-officials to engage in personal profiteering outside their official salary, even though by the Song period they were using intermediary agents to handle their anonymous business affairs for them.[22] Merchants were seen as somewhat parasitic to the needs of all other groups in society, since it was acknowledged that they used the goods that others produced and made their own profits from them. In essence, they were seen as business savvy, but not morally cultivated[citation needed] enough to be leading members of society or highly venerated representatives of Chinese culture.

• wiki link (emphasis mine)

It always cracks me up when some claims that China today is 'evil' because they don't submit to the Capitalistic overtures of modern economics ~ China knows and remembers what unrestrained capitalism can do to society ~ where ever they may be ~

~

• Like 2

And yet Europe is afraid of importing chickens from the US that have been chlorine washed and rinsed to prevent bacteria forming. At least you'd know it's chicken and not chicken mixed with other meat you'd rather not eat.

Firstly, what's so bad about horse meat (besides there being Bute in it)?

Secondly, is there still Bute in the meat when it reaches customers? I'd figure the processing of the meat would remove most, if not all of it.

As a note, I don't approve of BK calling it beef and selling horse meat.

I think they should clearly label it as containing anything it, uh... contains.

• Like 2

Two reasons I don't eat burger king anymore.

1. The Whopper is no longer $0.99

2. The oil they use is disgusting.

3. The Whopper is no longer $0.99

Two reasons I don't eat burger king anymore.

1. The Whopper is no longer $0.99

2. The oil they use is disgusting.

3. The Whopper is no longer $0.99

Yeah, they changed their yummy bread, size of the meat patty, ingredients in the sauce, the amount of add-on's, etc...

It just doesn't taste the same at all. And I used to have to use two big hands to hold it. Now it's a small sandwich that I can hold in one hand, tastes nothing like the original, and yet costs more.

They did the same thing with their breakfast croissants years ago. I used to LOVE them.

The croissant itself now is crap, and the ingredients are crap.

No more BK for me for the last 10-years. They totally suck.

• Like 2

They did the same thing with their breakfast croissants years ago. I used to LOVE them.

The croissant itself now is crap, and the ingredients are crap.

I did too! I hadn't had one in probably ten years, until last year, when we were on vacation. The little town we stayed overnight in didn't have a lot to choose from so we stopped there for a quick bite before going on our way. I couldn't eat half of it. It's a good thing I always keep fruit in the car, because there was nothing for miles in the direction we were going.

• Like 1

And yet Europe is afraid of importing chickens from the US that have been chlorine washed and rinsed to prevent

bacteria forming. At least you'd know it's chicken and not chicken mixed with other meat you'd rather not eat.

We in Europe survived thousands of years, eating non chlorine washed chicken without problems. Maybe the US

chicken grow up in such a lousy environment that such disinfection is required. And yeah, GMO feeded as well.

Edited by toast