Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's biggest cruise ship docks in UK

Still Waters

One of the world's largest cruise ships docked in the UK for the first time on Wednesday.

The £800 million Oasis of The Seas arrived in Southampton at 10am before setting off for Florida, via Spain, last night.

The ship, built in Turku, Finland in 2009, is 1,187 feet (362 meters) long, 215 feet (65 meters) wide and weighs more than 100,000 metric tons.

http://www.telegraph...first-time.html

http://www.telegraph...n-pictures.html

• Like 3

Probably looking for that giant crab that escaped it's hold, to feed the 6000 passengers on board.

I'm amazed they can dismembark so many for excursions in a timely manner. We cruised once and you had a limited window. At one stop we thought we'd miss returning to the ship. There was a long line and wait for the shuttle boats. Another time (same cruise) an unfortunate passenger had broken her leg blocking an entry/exit point on the ship. And they keep on schedule or other ships get behind too (domino effect).

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

I'd love to tour that for at least a couple of hours. Before 9/11, if we vacationed in a place with docked cruise ships, they would let us on board to explore, but not anymore And before anyone thinks "only in America" it happened all over the Caribbean and in Mexico.

• Like 1

Lets hope it wont be the biggest Titanic type of disaster one day too!

I think it is hideous. Looks like a block of Council High rise flats stuck on top of an oil tanker.

Not my idea of a luxury holiday.

• Like 3

I never got the whole "Cruise Thing"... it just strikes me as going to Benidorm, fully - inclusive, and never leaving your Hotel. Perhaps I just like a bit more adventure :whistle:

• Like 2

I never got the whole "Cruise Thing"... it just strikes me as going to Benidorm, fully - inclusive, and never leaving your Hotel. Perhaps I just like a bit more adventure :whistle:

It depends how you do it, I've went with Fred Olsen, only small ships and it gives you that personal service, you get to know nearly all the crew in a short time, I went on a cruise to see the Northern Lights, Norwegian Fjords, Iceland whale watching,

Honestly, try it Keith, we went with family, six of us. its a thousand times better than your fortnight flying/ resort. cruising on these smaller ships is like going on a mini adventure, due to size they get in places the massive ones cannot, you arrive in port, have the luxury of having a base (ship) go do what you like, rejoin the ship, go to bed, wake up at your next port of call, i have to admit we where two of the youngest people on board at age 22 (at the time) but 8 countries in 25 days. and sailing into ports is something else. the key is smaller ships.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

Id love to cruise but would have probs in a room without - or with a tiny window - and one very low to the waterline! I need to know I can get out in an emergency!! And not end up like someone in the Poseidon Adventure!!

typo

Edited by seeder

Id love to cruise but would have probs in a room without - or with a tiny window - and one very low to the waterline! I need to know I can get out in an emergency!! And not end up like someone in the Poseidon Adventure!!

typo

join a cruise club and you get membership discounts and free upgrades to outside cabin with balcony, at a very reasonable price.

one example of a cruise club. http://www.liverpoolcruiseclub.com/

• Like 1

typo

The first thing I was taught before going out on the Research Boats and Oil and gas rigs in the North Sea and the Gulf , was to know your exits. I would walk them maybe for just 20 mins and felt confident on how to use them in an emergency. Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (HUET) was something else however. :unsure2:

Just remember, the first thing you do when you get into a liferaft is to take the Sea-sickness tablet!! No kidding.

Overall, just remember that you are ultimately responsible for knowing your exits - and a little time taken out whilst in Port is invaluable should the worst happen, and will boost your confidence immeasurably.

My first research ship was the Rig Master: http://www.shipspott....php?lid=347442

A tiny ship of just 84mtrs length - we hit a storm force 12 over the Norwegian Trench in the North Sea, and we were in it for 72 hours. The worst thing that happened was that the French Navigators (for the sensor arrays) were laid up in their bunks, whilst the Norwegians and us Brits were loving every minute of it, watching endless Blondie Videos(don't ask!), drinking wine from the Captain's Locker, and forging life-long friendships. No cruise ship would ever face these conditions and would run to Port as soon as the warning was received (if possible). If there is nothing to crash into then you will always get through it because Ship Safety and strength is just incredible these days.

Just one more thing (because I am rambling on) you have nothing to worry about with seaward Port-holes or windows as they are stronger than the bulkheads in which they are fixed and cannot shatter

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

The first thing I was taught before going out on the Research Boats and Oil and gas rigs in the North Sea and the Gulf , was to know your exits. I would walk them maybe for just 20 mins and felt confident on how to use them in an emergency. Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (HUET) was something else however. :unsure2:

Just remember, the first thing you do when you get into a liferaft is to take the Sea-sickness tablet!! No kidding.

Overall, just remember that you are ultimately responsible for knowing your exits - and a little time taken out whilst in Port is invaluable should the worst happen, and will boost your confidence immeasurably.

My first research ship was the Rig Master: http://www.shipspott....php?lid=347442

A tiny ship of just 84mtrs length - we hit a storm force 12 over the Norwegian Trench in the North Sea, and we were in it for 72 hours. The worst thing that happened was that the French Navigators (for the sensor arrays) were laid up in their bunks, whilst the Norwegians and us Brits were loving every minute of it, watching endless Blondie Videos(don't ask!), drinking wine from the Captain's Locker, and forging life-long friendships. No cruise ship would ever face these conditions and would run to Port as soon as the warning was received (if possible). If there is nothing to crash into then you will always get through it because Ship Safety and strength is just incredible these days.

Just one more thing (because I am rambling on) you have nothing to worry about with seaward Port-holes or windows as they are stronger than the bulkheads in which they are fixed and cannot shatter

Cheers for that! :tu: All I need now is the dough!

My wife drug me on a cruise under some duress. Fortunately we went with a theme group. We made a lot of friends and had a blast. I was happy to go on the same cruise with many of the same people the next year and we are reserved for next spring. We have developed into more than just a theme cruise and pretty much mutinied last year and the whole group took off to the Cape Canaveral Tour ignoring what was planned for us. We will be worse this next cruise. The first year we snuck off to mayan ruins.

If we were not with this group of trouble makers I would be bored to death. All most people do is migrate from grazing area to grazing area. They do feed you well but charge a fortune for drinks.

When you are longer in the tooth or want to make your wife happy one of these cruises might be more appealing.

• Like 1

One interesting feature of this one is at the stern, where they have blocks of cabins on either side and an open space in between, which the inside cabins look out on to.

Anyway, for something that huge, she could have been a lot uglier (look at the new Norwegain Cruise Line ships, for example), but I think the beam makes her look excessively bloated. At least the stern looks betetr than Azura though, which was in port at the same time.

I haven't heard much about that lately, it seems to have lapsed into desuetude. I suspect it was one of those colourful entrepreneurs that come up with these grandiose ideas but nothing more ever comes of them.

I'm no maritime engineer, but these all look way top heavy

You should see the ballast below the waterline! 2/3rds of the displacement is below the waterline (at least).

I haven't heard much about that lately, it seems to have lapsed into desuetude. I suspect it was one of those colourful entrepreneurs that come up with these grandiose ideas but nothing more ever comes of them.

Mighty fine use of "desuetude"... we are not worthy, :nw:

I'm no maritime engineer, but these all look way top heavy

Just imagine if that ship had to launch the lifeboats, the sheer panic which would spread in that many people would cause chaos, no matter how good the evacuation procedure, and it would be no use jumping off the top deck the hight of it means you'd likely break bones on impact with the water, you'd probably knock yourself out as well.

Thats good news for Southampton, the fact that they chose Southampton shows that there is more economic benefits than Liverpool

Thats good news for Southampton, the fact that they chose Southampton shows that there is more economic benefits than Liverpool

Well, Just by the sheer fact you know of the situation between Southampton and Liverpool means its making waves down there on the south coast. but lets see if your statement holds true,

Southampton has been dragging Liverpool city council through the courts over our Cruise terminal. an our attempt at taking a slice of the cake, because we'd be in direct competition with Southampton, make no mistake about it, Liverpool is building its cruise business to rival and surpass Southampton. The installing of a Second landing stage and proposed new terminal as evidence.

The bonus we have here in the city is the Fact when the ship docks, the moment you step off - you are directly at the water front, in the heart of the city, no travelling by bus, you actually step off into a United Nations world heritage site which is, dominated by The Royal Liver Buildings, The Cunard Building (the spiritual home of the Cunard company) and the Port of Liverpool Building.

Southampton knows Liverpool is a threat, they simply cannot compete with that, we've gone from 12 Cruises a year - four years ago to 52 this year alone. Liverpool’s Cruise Terminal is set for its biggest year ever in 2014, with a raft of major ships making their inaugural call as they sail into the city, Liverpool truly is on the global cruise map again. Its popularity can be seen in the 60,000+ passengers from around the world who will be coming ashore to explore Liverpool in 2014.

Cunard are in talks to bring back the direct start/ending cruising from Liverpool. Look at their 175th Anniversary celebration. They are bring Cunard’s flagship, the 150,000 ton Queen Mary 2, AND will be joined by her two 90,000 ton sisters Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth, in a ‘Three Queens, One Magnificent City’ celebration to mark Cunard’s 175th anniversary.

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson said: “It is hard to imagine or visualise the scale of what is being planned for Cunard’s 175th Anniversary celebrations next May and July, but this dramatic image of the Three Queens together in open water gives you some idea of what’s coming to Cunard’s spiritual home. It will create a new chapter of maritime history, and once again the eyes of the world will fall on Liverpool and its waterfront.

we are already welcoming the biggest and the best, and ask yourself the question do you want to arrive in a City with so much History and cultural influence as Liverpool, step off the ship and your into the City OR Southampton's Container looking Terminal, and get buses to ?? god knows where - Southampton is on a losing wicket already, make no mistake about it. Liverpool will put Southampton to the sword. just give us time, just look at the plans. - (picture below) THIS is the £5.5 billion vision for a world class waterfront next to Liverpool's taxpayer funded cruise terminal that could help lure away cruise trade from Southampton and other UK ports.

And the giant port group that would be a major beneficiary if the Government gives the goahead for Liverpool to start and finish cruises at its £21m terminal is already planning a second terminal nearby, The expansion of the lucrative “turnaround” cruise trade in Liverpool is part of a master plan drawn up by Peel Ports.

Something is happening in this City, you might have to be here to feel it, but the vision is something else, and we havent even touched on the building on the new container terminal2 able to take the worlds biggest ships. creating even more jobs and trade.

Liverpools water front that greets passengers. There is just so much History and things to see and do in Liverpool.

Worth having a read.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1150

St Georges Hall.

Wakler Art Gallery.

Liverpool World Museum.

Ten things you might not know about Liverpool.

1. The city of Liverpool was created in 1207 when King John granted a Royal Charter which was written in Latin. Liverpool was once the "Second City of Empire", eclipsing even London for commerce at times.

2. Liverpool holds the Guinness Book of Records title for being the Capital of Pop. More artists with a Liverpool origin have had a number one hit than from any other location. And of course, Liverpudlian legends The Beatles changed the face of popular music.

3. Liverpool is the most successful footballing city in England, home to both Liverpool and Everton. It has won 27 League championships, four European Cups, three Uefa Cups, one Cup Winners cup, 11 FA Cups, and six League Cups.

4. Liverpool's Walker Art Gallery is the national gallery of the North and houses one of the best collections of European art outside London.

5. Liverpool has the largest collection of Grade II-listed buildings outside London. The city has 2,500 listed buildings and 250 public monuments.

6. Liverpool's three graces - the Liver, the Cunard and the Port of Liverpool buildings - are to be joined by a fourth. Designed by Will Alsop, the Cloud is a futuristic, three-tiered structure that will be home to offices, a hotel and community facilities.

7. Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral is the largest cathedral in Britain and the fifth largest in the world. It was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1904. The city has a second cathedral - the Metropolitan Cathedral, which was designed by Frederick Gibberd after the Second World War.

8. The Liverpool and Manchester Railway was the first successful passenger-carrying railway in the world. Trials for Stephenson's Rocket were carried out at Rainhill in 1829.

9. Liverpool has a thriving film industry. Films that shot there include The Hunt For Red October, The 51st State, The Parole Officer and Letter To Brezhnev. The city was used as a location for more than 140 films last year and has doubled for Moscow, Dublin, Paris and even Venice.

10. Scouse is a type of stew. It was eaten by Liverpudlians living in poverty before the 1900s. Ingredients include lamb or beef, cabbage, carrot, potatoes and onion.

Bear in mind, we're only just getting started.

Edited by Saru
Images removed due to copyright