Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Just how smart are dolphins ?

Saru

Well, IMHO, I'm pretty darn smart! :passifier:

• Like 1

As much as I despise this, and the Japanese doing it......

They are not smart enough to not be scared into a cove every year, from worthless humans hitting long pipes off of boats, to get netted in and slaughtered.

As a dolphin myself, I can tell you that we treat all sea and land animals, including humans, with both respect and caution.

Keep in mind that us dolphins suffer from the same fragility of perceived or sudden threat as do you humans.

That is, our minds are not perfect. One of my dolphin friends may have a mental illness similar to humans, for example, which makes my friend more likely to be captured by the fishers.

Not all of us are caught in this slaughter. Some, like myself recognized the threat, retreat, go to our laptops and post on UM.

As far as mirrors go, we don't have them in my habitat.

So, I and my other dolphin friends and companions rely on each other to inspect one another for injury and such, then we call-out with a special clicking/whistling noise to notify the victim dolphin.

There's not much we can do at that point, but at least as a group we know who is more vulnerable and who is not, and will protect.

The way the dolphin was flexing his fins reminded me of when men check out their biceps and flex their muscles - ah vanity, it's not just a human trait after all.

The way the dolphin was flexing his fins reminded me of when men check out their biceps and flex their muscles - ah vanity, it's not just a human trait after all.

It's not "vanity", rather it is an intelligent "test expression" to help determine if the image is of themselves, or another dolphin.

Presumably, it's also a display of potential defensive aggression.

However, that aspect is unknown, and not yet recorded in the wild.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1