Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The lunacy at Beatles Abbey Road Crossing

skookum

For ages major safety concerns have been raised with people trying to recreate the Beatles Iconic album cover at Abbey Road.

Shocking video of a girl being knocked down has come to light, which unfortunately is just one incident in many over the years.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/11/woman-hit-by-car-after-running-across-the-beatles-abbey-road-zebra-crossing-4943833/

I was sent a link to the live feed from the crossing and have been absolutely gob smacked how dangerous people behave. In 10 minutes of on and off viewing I witnessed large groups standing in the middle of the road, people sitting and basically losing awareness of road safety.

If you have 5 minutes spare you will see what I mean.

http://www.abbeyroad.com/crossing

The local council want to replace the crossing with lights but are facing lots of opposition because of it's iconic background.

What you guys think?

• Like 7

well, thanks for that link. I wasn't aware of them having a webcam there.

I just tuned in for a minute and...what can i say: a guy was posing on the zebra crossing, having his girl take a picture and she just walked into the road,

with her back to an approaching car. Man, this is going to be my new sideshow at work!

• Like 3

I think the bus was going much too fast and wow, so many taxis.

Give them their little thrill and leave it as it is...,the stupid ATCV-1 challenged, will still cross when ever they want to, no matter what colour light is, they want a picture of themselves, not a load of other tourists crossing at the same time.

All the council should do is put up a sign saying all casualties will have to pay for hospital treatment and do not even think about suing the drivers. (Ok, maybe that 1st bus driver, he had no time to slow down for anyone).

• Like 4

Watching it the problem with the crossing is drivers are having to ignore the basic rules. They are stopping as people are waiting, but the people are not crossing as they are waiting for that moment for their perfect shot.

In the stalemate the driver starts to move across the crossing then some genuine crossing user is put at danger.

• Like 4

Ouch, that looked painful!!!

Yes it's iconic but I think the crossing should be removed and a green cross lights crossing put in a different spot instead.

You can't fix stupid and even if it's the person crossing the road who is to blame, it wouldn't be fun for the driver. I know if I ever knocked someone down, no matter who was to blame, I would feel absolutely terrible and am sure it would play on my mind forever.

• Like 1

Great little shot here of stupidity.

2ynm96w.jpg

Her back to oncoming traffic and she began to walk backwards so the car hooted.

Edited by skookum
  • Like 1

It would drive you absolutely bonkers if that was a regular route you had to drive!

• Like 2

Pardon the stateside view...what is the significance of the diagonal lines?

It's a zebra crossing. Basically if someone is waiting to cross or already crossing.... cars have to stop and wait until they are crossed. As a driver you should slow down when approaching in case someone is waiting to cross. That is what would drive me bonkers as there are so many people stood around there you would be hesitant to drive on as if someone decided to cross you would probably be classed as at fault because they were on a zebra crossing,

Leave it alone. I've been watching the cam off and on for a long time. Why not just put "Slow Down!" signs on the road before the crossing, and "Beware of Oncoming Traffic" signs on the crossing? You can't cure stupid.

As an aside, I think 'round abouts' look dangerous. If we had them here in the U.S. their'd be lots of casualties.

Leave it alone. I've been watching the cam off and on for a long time. Why not just put "Slow Down!" signs on the road before the crossing, and "Beware of Oncoming Traffic" signs on the crossing? You can't cure stupid.

As an aside, I think 'round abouts' look dangerous. If we had them here in the U.S. their'd be lots of casualties.

Oh... you have roundabouts in the USA, I have used them many times myself, you just don't have many of them. It just needs a bit of Driver - Ed to understand how to use them and they are actually much better for flow of traffic than having light controlled intersections.

The Girl who got knocked down must have forgot how you use a zebra crossing. It was Darwin in action and you cannot legislate for that, and for those messing about, arrest them they are breaking the law.

Section 19

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

You MUST NOT loiter on any type of crossing.

Laws ZPPPCRGD reg 19 & RTRA sect 25(5)

• Like 4

http://i.telegraph.c...n1_1742986c.jpg

The Girl who got knocked down must have forgot how you use a zebra crossing. It was Darwin in action and you cannot legislate for that, and for those messing about, arrest them they are breaking the law.

Section 19

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

You MUST NOT loiter on any type of crossing.

Laws ZPPPCRGD reg 19 & RTRA sect 25(5)

That reminds me, whatever happened to this guy? green-man1_1742986c.jpg

greencrosscode1.jpg

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

For ages major safety concerns have been raised with people trying to recreate the Beatles Iconic album cover at Abbey Road.

Shocking video of a girl being knocked down has come to light, which unfortunately is just one incident in many over the years.

http://metro.co.uk/2...ossing-4943833/

I was sent a link to the live feed from the crossing and have been absolutely gob smacked how dangerous people behave. In 10 minutes of on and off viewing I witnessed large groups standing in the middle of the road, people sitting and basically losing awareness of road safety.

If you have 5 minutes spare you will see what I mean.

http://www.abbeyroad.com/crossing

The local council want to replace the crossing with lights but are facing lots of opposition because of it's iconic background.

What you guys think?

Is that a live feed or recorded hilites? There was some plonker who stepped out into the road with his back to a motorcycle as I watched.

Always seemed a funny place to have somewhere that was a global centre of popular culture, it's basically an ordinary suburban house that was converted to a studio. Remarkably unglamorous really. I've been past it a few times, you'd hardly know it was there if it wasn't for the fools hanging around. And the graffiti that people keep painting on the wall outside.

• Like 2

Pardon the stateside view...what is the significance of the diagonal lines?

If you mean the zig zag lines.....No parking at any time for any reason.

• Like 1

I think he became Darth Vader.

• Like 3

I think he became Darth Vader.

I hope, He stopped, looked and listened when he crossed over to the Darkside. :lol: i'll get my coat.

• Like 2

Always seemed a funny place to have somewhere that was a global centre of popular culture, it's basically an ordinary suburban house that was converted to a studio. Remarkably unglamorous really. I've been past it a few times, you'd hardly know it was there if it wasn't for the fools hanging around. And the graffiti that people keep painting on the wall outside.

Anything touched by the Beatles became Iconic.
  • Like 1

The Beatles are to Britain, what Elvis is to America, persistent cultural Icons, still acquiring new fans, generation after generation.

• Like 2

There are tons of round-abouts in the US. They're all over in Columbus. I hate them, but I have yet to see any accidents at them. I don't trust other drivers.

• Like 1