Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sunday morning inconvenient to attend church

Still Waters

Sunday mornings not ideal for some families to attend church because they are busy shopping and doing DIY, says leading cleric as figures show many switching to midweek services

http://www.telegraph...of-England.html

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• regeneratia

• SHaYap

• Atuke

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday mornings not ideal for some families to attend church because they are busy shopping and doing DIY, says leading cleric as figures show many switching to midweek services

http://www.telegraph...of-England.html

Might be wise. I do not get up in Sat. Or Sunday morning, unless a niece or nephew has some sporting event that I need to go to. I do not get up for farmer's markets unless they run later than noon. I would not get up in the morning for church. Did it the first 17 years of my life. I paid my horrible, senseless dues.

But then I might get up if there were a Gnostic church in these parts.

Edited by regeneratia

Well I guess Heaven really can wait ~

Meh, might as well, it's not like 8 am on Sunday has any overwhelming theological significance we can't depart from.

Besides, God's a night owl anyway and He said that Friday night was a good time to kick off the day of rest. His Son wasn't any more of a morning person either; anyone else remember the time Jesus struck down a healthy fig tree for, like, no reason other than because it was picked bare and He hadn't had His coffee yet?

Anyway, the historical reason that motivated the shift from the tradition Jewish Sabbath to the Christian Sunday-Sabbath was to make it more friendly to the mostly European converts who were already used to thinking of the Christ-God in similar terms and symbolism that they had traditionally associated with various solar deities. Plus Saturn and Saturday always held some pretty dreary and gloomy associations with Gentiles that reminded them of death and harvests and the ends of things. Bump it to the next day and start it at dawn instead of sundown and you couple the new God with a bright-eyed, chipper start to the new week.

It also had easy Biblical justification- Jesus rose on Sunday morning!… Except resurrecting was the end of His busy weekend; Christ wasn't beginning a new life when He resurrected, He was claiming victory after the end of the old one.

It doesn't usually get talked about too much, but after Christ died on the cross, He spent the next forty hours harrowing Hell of the souls it kept imprisoned in Sheol or "Sleeping Death," for want of a better word. So it's kind of a dick move on our part really. We all get together weekly to ask Him for things right when He just finished up going through Hell and worse for us. It doesn't really surprise me that He left the Angel at the Tomb to announce the Resurrection. The Angel answers the phones for a while so Jesus can actually get some rest.

The most important thing to remember about the Sabbath is that it is meant to be a day of rest and reflection where our attention isn't divided by our day-to-day affairs. It's become fused with the logistics of the calendrical system and only really became recognizable to us during the Industrial Revolution and the explosion of manufacturing jobs, but remembering and keeping the Sabbath for its religious value means that it isn't tethered to any particular day of the week. The point of Commandments isn't to instate what we have to do (that would undermine free will), rather, it's through the willful observance of Commandments that we attempt to bridge the spiritual gap between Man and God. It's why you'll often hear Jews translate the Biblical word mitzvah as both "commandment" and "blessing" or "act of kindness".

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday's are for sleeping in and football. It's arbitrary anyway, just a made up construct. When the Earth started to evolve with life it didn't have days or time, just seasons. The seven days are a recent thing. God doesn't care what you do or when you do it, because he already knows the outcome right?