Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meditation doesn't do anything.

onefourfour

I should have put a question mark at the end of the subject rather than a period.

I have never come across anyone, nor any credible report of anyone, who has began meditation and after practice of any amount of time, has become enlightened or traveled through the universe, or through other dimensions, or gained powers or healing abilities of any kind, even remotely. On the contrary, I have many contacts with people who practice meditation, fully believe in it, and are persistent and live pure lives... and they have achieved nothing. They have no gained any insights, powers, or been healed. They have not gained wisdom, they have not met other beings, they have not prospered. The most dedicated sincere individuals, who give up everything and devote themselvs entirely to spiritual practice, end up asking for money, needing support, or selling things.

One man's experience. Please help me.

Edited by onefourfour
  • Like 1

I should have put a question mark at the end of the subject rather than a period.

I have never come across anyone, nor any credible report of anyone, who has began meditation and after practice of any amount of time, has become enlightened or traveled through the universe, or through other dimensions, or gained powers or healing abilities of any kind, even remotely. On the contrary, I have many contacts with people who practice meditation, fully believe in it, and are persistent and live pure lives... and they have achieved nothing. They have no gained any insights, powers, or been healed. They have not gained wisdom, they have not met other beings, they have not prospered. The most dedicated sincere individuals, who give up everything and devote themselvs entirely to spiritual practice, end up asking for money, needing support, or selling things.

Meditation dosnt accomplish those things, it only helps to condition your mind. Meditation has helped many people including this person. Do a little more research. Look up the video dharma brothers. Now specific types of meditation techniques do allow you to have exsperiences of traveling the universe and melding with super conciousness etc etc. weather you think these are purely internal constructs or something greater is your choice, but I do know for a fact that it happens.

• Like 3

Yeah, onefourfour, I do not understand where you are getting this information that this is primarily what meditation is for. I meditate here and there, and it's to relax me, get closer to my spiritual self, and to reflect. It's almost like a vacation for me. Well, a bodily staycation if you will. I don't leave the body or anything, I can't even fathom how that is even done.

• Like 1

Some of my first attempts at mediation and follow ups with different methods turned me from being a profoundly nonspiritual person to someone who really feels the force... (star wars pun intended) In my experience, Meditation can teach you about yourself, and can introduce you to a world of "what tha..!" weirdness you can grow to love.. . But ultimately, meditation helps you be you and understand the real you..

You are asking for help.. But it's a task that you alone can do..

• Like 3

Some of my first attempts at mediation and follow ups with different methods turned me from being a profoundly nonspiritual person to someone who really feels the force... (star wars pun intended) In my experience, Meditation can teach you about yourself, and can introduce you to a world of "what tha..!" weirdness you can grow to love.. . But ultimately, meditation helps you be you and understand the real you..

You are asking for help.. But it's a task that you alone can do..

Haha I remember you once told me that you did not want any new age mumbo jumbo or something to that effect. My how times change. Interestingly enough 15 years ago you might have called me a militant atheist for a time... But not really deep down .....I knew.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

But ultimately, meditation helps you be you and understand the real you.

(Forgive the edit).

Exactly. The purpose of meditation is the meditation experience itself, and the benefits it brings to our life. By meditating properly we may discover something unexpected, our true nature. If we expect something 'extra' from it, that expectation is not within the meditative mind.

• Like 3

Like anything in excess, over endulging in meditation wont do you much good either, you have to use it in an intelligent way to gain from it's benefits. I would say the most striking effect meditation had on me when I first started, was changing me into becoming a much calmer stress free person, and because of this I found it much easier to resolve problems especially at work. Being a calmer person, means you're less likely to have a heart attack, so meditation goes some way in protecting your health in that respect. You will also find that your sense of consciousness expands, and you will be able to take in a lot more of what's going on around you, which becomes very noticeable when you're driving.

There are other things you experience from meditation, which are to do with your subconscious mind and your energetic self. So if you want to explore the hidden part of you, then meditation will give you this insight.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. The mystical side of meditation is something I got from reading about what Yoga is meant to be, and from impressions formed reading the Gita. Also concepts like the "Third Eye", "Kundalini" and the like. Certainly, certainly, to calm down and relieve stress is not what the practice was until it was adopted by western culture.

Does anyone reading this believe those things are the true aim and reward of meditation?

What about my true nature is revealed by meditation, and why is that my true nature as opposed to the thing I am when I'm not meditating?

http://www.psycholog...itation&x=0&y=0

A little help on your research into meditation.

This would mean a lot more if a million other things didn't do exactly the same thing for people.

There are many different meditations. :yes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation

And obtain a powers depends on many different factors. Mostly how long you do a meditation and what kind of meditation you do. For obtain a powers is mostly necessary years of meditations about a one things only.

There does seem to be a wide misunderstanding about meditation. There are several other threads which discuss the topic.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. The mystical side of meditation is something I got from reading about what Yoga is meant to be, and from impressions formed reading the Gita. Also concepts like the "Third Eye", "Kundalini" and the like. Certainly, certainly, to calm down and relieve stress is not what the practice was until it was adopted by western culture.

Does anyone reading this believe those things are the true aim and reward of meditation?

What about my true nature is revealed by meditation, and why is that my true nature as opposed to the thing I am when I'm not meditating?

This would mean a lot more if a million other things didn't do exactly the same thing for people.

Your preconceptions seem to be getting in the way.

Firstly, meditation helps you calm down and discover yourself more clearly. Is that the real historic purpose? Absolutely. The Buddha never talked, as far as I am aware, about travelling through the universe. Enlightenment is internal not external. Once your mind is reasonably trained you can dig deep, examining and developing your view of yourself, your creator (if there was one), whatever. Your view, though- and I hope you will forgive me for saying this- sounds more like the 1960's hippy culture, fuelled by acid. It isn't like that.

But until you dig down you don't know what you will find. I hope you find peace and inner contentment.

Have you ever sat by the ocean, or by an open fire ? Let your mind wander away and watch the repetitive waves or flames ? They are just some of my favourite places to meditate . I have tried different types of meditation, on beads, listening to audio etc , but the beach, the stars , the forest or an open fire always calm me and brings me to the here and now . Keep looking until you find what you are looking for
  • Like 2

The practise of meditation to relieve anxiety was followed in the East , I don't know who told you that it was adopted for that purpose only in the West . If you read the Iskcon Gita , their fundamental belief is to chant Hare Krsna and be happy , the Iskcon Gita was translated by a Bengali man , his translation was heavily influenced by his childhood and by his Guru's beliefs ~ It is one man's translation, of a translation of a translation . Make your own translation of the Gita , it is your path , no one else's , don't let someone you don't know tell you what path to take . The third eye, kundalini, chakras, karma, reincarntion , they are personal beliefs, if it feels right for you , believe in them . Meditation should ground you so you can calm your mind to find the answers your looking for . good luck :)
  • Like 2

Words such as "enlightened, universe, dimensions, healing..." are relative. For example, dreaming could easily satisfy these words.

Money? There are those who have claimed that channeling and "spiritual work" get results. In fact, some paths insist on concrete results, and wealth is a major sign that the technique is working well and good; otherwise, it's all mental. A teacher asking for money? Well, according to certain groups, that kind of teacher is COMPLETE fake. I, however, wouldn't call these paths meditation, even though certain teachers insist on calling them as such. When it comes to "spiritual work," there is more to this material world than meets the eye...and everything we do has consequences -- negative or positive. In the end, it's how much you're willing to surrender...so I've heard and read. Etcetera.

Who is the real you, your true nature? Who are you when all your thoughts, experiences, knowledge, memories, opinions, beliefs, concepts, strivings and conditionings are abandoned? Who remains?

In my view, this is the essential intention of meditation. But, of course, in meditation, there is no intention to abandon these things. One just allows these to dissipate by themselves, with no interference by the meditator.

Just sit quietly and let go, allow the mind to wander as it will, giving no energy to its wanderings. In this sense, the mind will quiet itself, and the unexpected may appear.

Edited by StarMountainKid
  • Like 3

one, form of meditation is prayer. now if you asked those who pray to god, you may get a completely different set of answers.

At least learn to be meditative before knowing the recognition of meditation ~

• Like 1

Your preconceptions seem to be getting in the way.

Firstly, meditation helps you calm down and discover yourself more clearly. Is that the real historic purpose? Absolutely. The Buddha never talked, as far as I am aware, about travelling through the universe. Enlightenment is internal not external. Once your mind is reasonably trained you can dig deep, examining and developing your view of yourself, your creator (if there was one), whatever. Your view, though- and I hope you will forgive me for saying this- sounds more like the 1960's hippy culture, fuelled by acid. It isn't like that.

But until you dig down you don't know what you will find. I hope you find peace and inner contentment.

I am very influenced by the 60's hippie culture, for sure, no worries. (But I wasn't alive back then lol)

I got the peace and contentment of meditation, practiced it for years and thought there was more coming, and then stopped after a while realizing I wasn't making any progress AND I was getting much deeper meditation experiences from nature than from sitting around watching my breath.

I'll have to start again with a new mindset.

• Like 2

Have you ever sat by the ocean, or by an open fire ? Let your mind wander away and watch the repetitive waves or flames ? They are just some of my favourite places to meditate . I have tried different types of meditation, on beads, listening to audio etc , but the beach, the stars , the forest or an open fire always calm me and brings me to the here and now . Keep looking until you find what you are looking for

Right on. I ended up meditating everywhere and all the time, and the formal process of sitting down to meditation (Sit straight, yadda yadda) was getting old and my expectations weren't being met. (Sorry for the psychology.)

Is the sitting meditation, watching the breath, useful in any way that being outdoors or listening to beautiful music isn't?

The practise of meditation to relieve anxiety was followed in the East , I don't know who told you that it was adopted for that purpose only in the West .

It's just my own impressions. The east sees meditation as spiritual and the goal is union with God. The Gita describes the transformation from duality to unity. They didn't suggest getting a back rub, but that's relaxing and relieves stress too. And in the west, there are plenty of people who see meditation as the equivalent of a massage or a hot bath. (Or say the Hatha Yoga fitness-oriented stuff.)

more replies later, thanks everyone this is very generous and I appreciate it.

Edited by onefourfour

im still trying to get the hang of it but i believe it can have a power effect :) !!

Yes that's right, you do feel very mentally uplifted after you've finished meditating, it feels like you've had a very good sleep. In fact you feel far more alert and awake after meditating, than you do when you wake from sleep.

• Like 1

Is the meditative mind different from everyday mind? If it is, what is the difference? If the meditative mind stills the extraneous internal noise, and brings attention to what is happening in this very moment, why should not the meditative mind be everyday mind?

• Like 2