Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists make 'feel full' chemical

Still Waters

Scientists have created a chemical that can be added to food to make people feel full.

Initial tests showed it helped people to eat less and slow weight gain.

It harnessed the power of a proprionate, which naturally makes us feel full when it is produced by breaking down fibre in the gut.

Writing in the journal Gut, the UK researchers said their chemical would have to be eaten regularly to have an effect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-30411251

As long as the side effects don't include bloody coughing, internal bleeding, diarrhea or an increased chance of sudden death then it sounds promising.

• Like 1

What a crap. There already exists a nutrient called "protein" that makes you feel full. When I eat 4 full eggs (hardboiled with yolk) or 200 grams of tofu, I feel so full that I don't feel like eating anything for the next 8 hours. And they all have low calories too.

Eating protein-rich (which at the same time has low calories!) food is the easiest way to curb hunger and promote fat loss. There is no need for such a stupid invention or a "feel full chemical".

When you eat a protein and fiber-rich diet with very low sugar and salt intake, then you will see very significant fat loss in a short amount of time. You don't need to exercise.

From May to July 2013, I went on a protein and fiber-rich diet (I don't eat sweets or take highly processed/salty food for years already) and lost 6 kilos leading a sedentary lifestyle (desk bound job), barely walking 10 minutes a day.

Routine was Intermittent Fasting with 5 days of 24-hour fast (eat at 7pm, 1000 kcal meal once a day) then 2 days at slight calorie deficit on weekends (Saturday/Sunday at 1800 kcal split between 2 meals in a 6 hour period), doing this on a protein and fiber-rich diet prevented me from feeling hungry and the body is reprogrammed to not lust for food all the time (leading to higher hunger tolerance threshold), and fat loss is greatly increased.

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 2

I have found that putting 3.1 pounds of food in my stomach also does the same thing.

I personally go for the giant slab-o-cheesecake after a 16 oz. prime rib and some mashed potatoes, followed by the electric paddles to jump start the heart again!

• Like 2

I personally go for the giant slab-o-cheesecake after a 16 oz. prime rib and some mashed potatoes, followed by the electric paddles to jump start the heart again!

Now you're making me hungry.

Perhaps that's one answer for natural weight loss. Since suggestion or pics of yummy food can make one hungry, why not do the reverse?

Verbally suggest and show pics of disgusting food before meal time.

Of course the tried and true method is a simple one-liner... Burn more calories through exercise than you consume through foods.

There's something missing here, it's called eating properly, and getting plenty of exercise. Not rocket science really.

• Like 1

When I eat 4 full eggs (hardboiled with yolk) or 200 grams of tofu,

200 grams of tofu.

You're tougher than me

200 grams of tofu.

You're tougher than me

Tofu is an everyday food here. Maybe you just aren't used to eating it.

We make tofu in many forms, some have fishcakes mixed in, some have the texture of baked potato, some are soft like whipped cream, others are tofu wrapped in glutinous rice...etc.

Not always easy to excercise if you have a physical disability. I don't think this will be the answer to the weight problem though. I thought scientists had managed to speed up metabolisms in mice or rats. 14% less food is probably still twice as much as what some should be eating.

Tofu is an everyday food here. Maybe you just aren't used to eating it.

We make tofu in many forms, some have fishcakes mixed in, some have the texture of baked potato, some are soft like whipped cream, others are tofu wrapped in glutinous rice...etc.

I'm a dork, didn't realize you were in Singapore. I've only had tofu in a few things, but I meant what I said as a joke.