Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

camcorder help need to choose one.

newborn

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but basically I have had interest in UFO's for years, seen lots of stuff, sadly never had a camcorder, I am one of these people who don't assume UFO'S are aliens from a different world... but I wont rule out the possibility, as this universe is vast.. so its impossible for us to be the only existence, but I still think UFO'S are interesting, and need someone to maybe suggest a camcorder, I am in the Uk, different people say different things, like get a camconder with night vision.. but it appears only a select few has this ability so I am abit stuck..

You've left out the most important thing - your budget?

The primary things that make for a good camera for shooting small distant objects at night, be it a movie or still camera (or both):

1. Large sensor. Compact cameras with small sensors have limited resolution and lots of noise in low night. Find out what size sensor the camera has and compare. I'd have to suggest that you forget anything of less than the 1" size shown here, and that pretty well excludes all affordable small camcorders, I'm sorry...

2. Large/long lens. Ignore digital zoom claims - it's OPTICAL zoom that is important. And again, smaller lenses (even if they have a lot of optical zoom) are nowhere near as good (all things being equal) as larger ones - bigger lenses/more glass equals more light let into the camera, which equals better results.

3. Manual settings. Being able to manually set the focus to infinity, and also change the exposure while filming, is very useful indeed (I'd say the first one is essential)...

Night Vision? I've yet to hear anyone offer a good reason why that is anyway an advantage. Sure it shows a bit of near IR information, and it certainly adds a strangeness and mystery to your UFOs, but it also makes them harder to identify for that very reason.. Better to spend your money on the biggest sensor and biggest lens you can afford.

Ideally, I'd suggest a DSLR (one with an 'APS-C' sensor or larger) - pretty much any of the current range from Nikon/Canon/Sony*/Pentax, plus you can then upgrade your lens when you can afford it, or maybe buy 'legacy' secondhand lenses that fit that camera's lens mount. Yes, that will cost some hundreds of dollars, but seriously, if you are just going to get a low-power cheap camera then all you will get is more of the horrible out of focus, unresolved dreck that already poisons ufology...

Instead why not go join your nearest astronomy club, and see what those who are SERIOUS about sky observing are using. You will be (pleasantly) shocked, and you will also (rightly) ask yourself - why aren't these folks offering up great UFO footage? Or me and the other thousands upon millions who have good DSLR equipment (or better)?

I'll tell you why - with good equipment you will be able to properly identify the UFO - so it is no longer a mystery...

* - PS - I have a personal bias towards the Sony range of APS-C and larger sensor cameras (I have one), as their 'DSLT' system allows manual focus (and very fast AF) along with manual exposure, in their HD movie mode. Canon/Nikon/Pentax have lagged behind in those aspects, but arguably the sensors on the Canon and Nikon cameras may be a tad better in low light.

Edited by ChrLzs

sorry, I was meaning to put my budget its around £200-279 mark currently. also would be nice if someone could just show me one to buy.. as I always hate having 5 different types to choose from lol, ill take your word for it... that it's good.

Edited by newborn

my budget its around £200-279 mark currently. also would be nice if someone could just show me one to buy.. as I always hate having 5 different types to choose from lol, ill take your word for it... that it's good.

From reviews I read, the best under $1000.00 camcorder for low light is the Panasonic NC-V750K. It would seem to also be a great all around camcorder

http://www.smartrevi...-wifi-camcorder

http://thewirecutter...best-camcorder/

In the US, it can be found as low as US$520.00 but the price on UK amazon is steep at £429.00 - a little over your budget....

http://www.amazon.co...asonic HC-V750K

If you're buying this strictly based on the remote chance that you will encounter another UFO and will have the camera with you at the time, it's a lot of money to put on this. But if you are really looking for an all-around camcorder that you will use regularly, this would seem to be a good choice.

I'd like to stress that I have never tried this camcorder and am going by the reviews and specs.

You may also want to take a look at a thread I started a few months ago called "Photographing UFOs" where we also discussed several lower cost options. Some of the tiny action cams such as the Mobius are available under $100.00, but needless to say, don't expect "stellar" performance. Their main advantage is they are so tiny and lightweight that you can have one with you at all times.

From reviews I read, the best under $1000.00 camcorder for low light is the Panasonic NC-V750K. It would seem to also be a great all around camcorder

http://www.smartrevi...-wifi-camcorder

http://thewirecutter...best-camcorder/

In the US, it can be found as low as US$520.00 but the price on UK amazon is steep at £429.00 - a little over your budget....

http://www.amazon.co...asonic HC-V750K

If you're buying this strictly based on the remote chance that you will encounter another UFO and will have the camera with you at the time, it's a lot of money to put on this. But if you are really looking for an all-around camcorder that you will use regularly, this would seem to be a good choice.

I'd like to stress that I have never tried this camcorder and am going by the reviews and specs.

You may also want to take a look at a thread I started a few months ago called "Photographing UFOs" where we also discussed several lower cost options. Some of the tiny action cams such as the Mobius are available under $100.00, but needless to say, don't expect "stellar" performance. Their main advantage is they are so tiny and lightweight that you can have one with you at all times.

I did look at that, but on a web site, it suggests to have like 27+ optical zoom, and that only has 20, or am I missing something.

I did look at that, but on a web site, it suggests to have like 27+ optical zoom, and that only has 20, or am I missing something.

If you saw 27x optical, it's most likely a typo. That camcorder has 20X optical and 50X digital (which you should just ignore as that only means it crops the image in-camera). 20x is fine. It's the low light performance of the camcorder that matters.

thing is, I am confused, people say this cam has night vision, but others say night mode colour, and night mode inferred

Edited by newborn

In the US, at least, thrift stores are lousy with VHS and VHS-C camcorders, usually for under $10. If you can put up with the bulk of a VHS camera it will certainly give you a big lens and sensor. VHS-C cameras are considerably smaller in all respects. I don't know about the UK, but you might try a few thrifts and see what's available and then research their performance. Should be cheap.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

thing is, I am confused, people say this cam has night vision, but others say night mode colour, and night mode inferred

You're looking at the wrong camera. The one you refer to is the Panasonic W850 that does have night vision mode (which they call "night mode IR"). The "night mode colour" is the regular mode but with a slower frame rate. It's explained in the last clip here.

Also, you may be confusing "Night vision" with "low light" functionality.

Low light functionality is a series of characteristics that allow a camera to record a scene naturally without using intense artificial lighting. This means for example: end of the day or early evening natural lighting, ambient light evening lighting such as those from lamposts, house lamps or candle light, and natural night lighting such as provided by the moon for example.

Here is an example of low light functionality:

Night vision is a setting that allows one to see in the dark where there is very little visible light. Using night vision mode for recording objects emitting light is actually not recommended because you end up overexposing those sources. A lot of those videos you see on YouTube that use night vision to record UFOs often mostly show the lights on planes because the "night vision" function actually ends up overexposing the lights on a plane or helicopter so much that the plane itself cannot be seen.

The main use for night vision is if you are searching in areas where there are few and weak light sources. It's really mainly useful for close range subjects. The reason for the conflicting information you might have come across in regards the functions on this camcorder is because there in another more expensive model that is otherwise identical to it in terms of design and specs but that does have night vision mode. It is (as I mentioned above) the Panasonic W850. However, as you will see in the demo below, the night vision mode is only good with low ambient light or artifical sources of light AIMED at your subject. If you are recording a light source, then it will overexpose it.

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but basically I have had interest in UFO's for years, seen lots of stuff, sadly never had a camcorder, I am one of these people who don't assume UFO'S are aliens from a different world... but I wont rule out the possibility, as this universe is vast.. so its impossible for us to be the only existence, but I still think UFO'S are interesting, and need someone to maybe suggest a camcorder, I am in the Uk, different people say different things, like get a camconder with night vision.. but it appears only a select few has this ability so I am abit stuck..

Recording something in this day and age won't make difference, unfortunately. Get one that is best for filming family and vacations. I'd like to read about what you've seen, though.

Recording something in this day and age won't make difference, unfortunately.

It will for him. That's the only reason I would record a UFO: for my own record and for friends who know and trust me. The rest of the world will either not believe or will try and market it in some way. So there is no point in releasing it publicly.

Save your money, GEt a number #2 pencil and note pad write it down, draw a stick figure and what ever you do, Dont tell anyone what you saw ! :alien::no:

• Like 1

Save your money, Get a number #2 pencil and note pad write it down

Well, for sure, he should not get an expensive camera JUST in the hope that one day he'll see another UFO. It may never happen again. The last time I saw a UFO was 44 years ago. So I would not bet that the next time I see one will be next week. But on the other hand, I am a pro photographer and I have tons of photo equipment. So I'm ready, if it ever happens again. As I said in a previous post, he should only consider such an invesment if he really needs a high quality camcorder for every day use. Not if it's going to stay in its case until an illusive UFO comes along.

Otherwise, yes, a pencil or a low-cost camera or camcorder would be OK.

and what ever you do, Dont tell anyone what you saw ! :alien::no:

Maybe not call a press conference about it, but it's not a bad idea to bring it up in conversations and tell close friends about it even if some might not believe you. It sure makes for more interesting conversation than talking about the weather !