Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A look at Spring-heeled Jack

UM-Bot

Paul Dale Roberts: Before I was even a ghosthunter, I was doing investigations on my own. In 1994, I went to London, England and went to the sites where the infamous Spring-heeled Jack frequented. If you don't know who Spring-heeled Jack is, let me tell you. Spring-heeled Jack was first sighted by witnesses in 1837. He was described as a monster that was able to leap incredibly high. He could leap from rooftop to rooftop or cemetery fences that were 12 feet high. He was seen all around London and other small towns nearby such as Liverpool. He had clawed hands, eyes that were bright flaming red and witnesses said that blue and white flames would at times come out of his mouth. Some witnesses said he spoke perfect English and at times wore a helmet. When looking at his face, his face appeared as 'devilish'. He was truly a frightening creature to look at. His clothes were described as white oil skin and tight fitting. Some witnesses say he wore a cloak.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 2

I'm familiar with his legend however it sounds just like one or more men that took advantage of surprise to sexually assault women while in disguise. However based on the era the guy responsible would be long dead today.

"small towns nearby such as Liverpool" - really? Finding that in the first paragraph made me think the whole article is written by someone not very good at research.

• Like 3

I remember reading about this some thirty years ago. The speculation at the time was that Spring-heeled Jack was a time traveler. Thirty years ago there was no mention of "devilish looks", only the wearing of a helmet.

• 2 weeks later...

"small towns nearby such as Liverpool" - really? Finding that in the first paragraph made me think the whole article is written by someone not very good at research.

Was thinking the same myself, If he really was seen in Liverpool or that far afield it must have been a copycat.

Edited by Auntyseptic

With a little trickery you could make yourself appear to breathe fire.

Flash paper for instance, held at the right place would give that appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, obscure character. With spring-heel in his name make sense he would be a pretty good jumper.

Spring heels at 1:15

• 4 weeks later...

Appalling research! Totally agree with Skithia - to say Liverpool was a "small, nearby town" just demonstrates the ignorance and embarrassing amateurism of the writer.

Liverpool is over 220 miles from London and at the time of Spring Heeled Jack was a rapidly growing industrial hub, hugely important in the continued growth and dominance of the British Empire, with around 200,000 registered residents - the actual number would be far in excess of this figure.

Just because England is a geographically small country you clearly know very little about, doesn't mean you can just make things up as you write - not if you want any credibility at least....

Edited by Jaded_UK