Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Queen Khentakawess III's tomb unearthed

questionmark

ABU-SIR, Egypt, Jan. 5 (UPI) -- Some 4,500 years ago, Pharaoh Neferefre ruled Egypt -- part of the less iconic (oft ignored) 4th Dynasty that lasted from approximately 2494 to 2345 BCE. Archaeologists and historians have known as much. But Neferefre's wife, the Queen of Egypt, has remained unknown -- until now.

Researchers recently unearthed the inscribed tomb of Neferefre's partner, revealing her to be Queen Khentakawess III.

The tomb was recently excavated by a group of archaeologists from the Czech Institute of Egyptology; researchers also found several dozen vessels, tools and utensils made of limestone and copper. The tomb was discovered while excavating the funeral complex of Neferefre at an ancient royal cemetery in Abu-Sir, south-west of Cairo.

• Like 5

Interesting

No mention of a mummy so one can presume the tomb was looted long ago.

• Like 1

Interesting

No mention of a mummy so one can presume the tomb was looted long ago.

I was wondering that as well. Copper, but no gold or jewelry in the report.

Why did some grave robbers steal mummies? If that would even be true.

Perhaps there are hidden chambers to be found at that complex. IDK.

It is my understanding that jewelry was placed within the mummy for magical purposes and since the resin used in the process made getting to said jewelry difficult they were often burned or chopped up.

• Like 4

It is my understanding that jewelry was placed within the mummy for magical purposes and since the resin used in the process made getting to said jewelry difficult they were often burned or chopped up.

quite...besides that, for a long period mummies have been exported to Europe and Asia for "medicinal purposes"... in fact, at a time they even made oil paint out of mummies...

• Like 1

I'm sure someone, somewhere, who has read this article, had this little question pop into their head; "Was she hot?"

Edited by Karasu

I'm sure someone, somewhere, who has read this article, had this little question pop into their head; "Was she hot?"

She lived in a desert, so yes, for most of the year she was very hot.

• Like 3

She lived in a desert, so yes, for most of the year she was very hot.

I was hoping someone would get that. Good on you.

• Like 2