Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA set to drop a robot in to a volcano

UM-Bot

Scientists are experimenting with new ways to explore volcanic fissures and vents on other planets.

Developed by researchers Carolyn Parcheta and Aaron Parness, the aptly named VolcanoBot 2 will attempt to explore deep inside the inhospitable tunnels and vents of an active volcano in Hawaii when it is deployed there some time in March.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...in-to-a-volcano

• Like 1

Awww, poor robot.

I hope it's not you, UM-Bot? I hope you haven't incurred the displeasure of Management? : :cry:

• Like 2

Good for them! Should see some interesting pics too that otherwise would be unobtainable.

If they are storing the data on-board then what happens if the little robot gets stuck in the fissure?

If they are storing the data on-board then what happens if the little robot gets stuck in the fissure?

I wondered the same thing. NASA must expect to get the robot back out of the volcano. Otherwise it makes no sense to store the data on board. Maybe the data will be transmitted until it goes too deep.

The League of Robotic Persons Semiconductor Rights has been all over me for this same issue for years.

I maintain my right as an American to sacrifice or otherwise, cause a robotic person to become engaged in any part of a volcano up to and including, rim; lip; vent and/or magma chamber.

• Like 2

They couldn't get Mr. Spock to do this?? He has experience in this type of thing you know.

• Like 1