Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Some can be convinced they committed a crime

Still Waters

Evidence from some wrongful-conviction cases suggests that suspects can be questioned in ways that lead them to falsely believe in and confess to committing crimes they didn't actually commit.

New research provides lab-based evidence for this phenomenon, showing that innocent adult participants can be convinced, over the course of a few hours, that they had perpetrated crimes as serious as assault with a weapon in their teenage years.

http://www.scienceda...50115102835.htm

• Like 4

There are many cases of this I suppose, but certainly the case of the Central Park Five demonstrates what the thread title claims. Through coercion and intimidation, long hours of interrogation, the average human can begin to doubt himself.

I think it was PBS who did a special on the Central Park defendants, and prosecutorial misconduct was a large factor. Some of the defendants did begin to doubt themselves. A sad story.

I think has been known for a very very long time which is why people accused of crimes in the USA (and other places) can request a lawyer and all questioning has to stop immediately. The big problem is that innocent people are innocent and frequently believe they don't need an attorney because well, they're innocent, so they fail to ask for one.

• Like 1

Regarding the NFL, and the NE Patriot's "deflate-gate"

the Pat's QB was asked by a member of the press corps:

"Is Tom Brady a cheater?"

Brady's reply?

"I don't believe so."

Interesting choice of words.

Just like lie-detector tests can be worded in such a way to get someone to look like they are lying. Hence why they are not admissable in court, but the police still use them to sort of get a feel for who they want to go after. Additionally, i'm pretty sure the FBI still uses them to screen candidates.

This is why you never ever talk to the police. Demand a lawyer right away and say nothing to the SS.

• Like 2

Regarding the NFL, and the NE Patriot's "deflate-gate"

the Pat's QB was asked by a member of the press corps:

"Is Tom Brady a cheater?"

Brady's reply?

"I don't believe so."

Interesting choice of words.

I noticed that too. Watching on TV, I was amused at Brady's choice of words.

It could be read at least 2 different ways

I think people can believe in anything given the right situation and pressure. Stockholm syndrome is a good example.

Most of us have the attitude that we'd never act in a certain manner, whatever the circumstances. The truth is that we wouldn't know until we were in those circumstances, and our 'personal operating guides' thrown out of the window.

This is why you never ever talk to the police. Demand a lawyer right away and say nothing to the SS.

While I wouldn't go as far as the Nazi comparison, I do think that it's wise to not surrender the right to remain silent.

LV #8

YES!

No denying the Stockholm Syndrome.

I'm not sure it's about belief.

I suspect it's rather more about survival.

Persuade one's malefactors (captors) the captive is on the captor's side; could mean the difference between life & death.

I don't think that's a conversion.

I think it's a survival strategy.

EG #7

I swayed slightly toward a vote of guilty, based on that.

But after Belachek's Boyle's Law explanation, I'm inclined to give the Pats' benefit of doubt.