Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1986 JAL Flight 1628 UFO Sighting

Longeyes

This one of the best cases of all time in my opinion that of FAA Division Chief John Callahan and a 1986 Japanese Airlines flight (JAL Flight 1628)

http://www.citizenhe...s_callahan.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFSBZ6wnq4s

He also testified for the Disclosure project at the NPC in 2001. This is his full length in interview done by the Disclosure project leading up to it re-released by Sirius Disclosure with some of the original documents and film of radar scopes.

He was I think head of Alaskan region FAA region at the time. There was ground radar tracking the thing, aircraft radar showed it. He still has copies of all the radar readings and pilot recordings. The pilot saw it dead close said it was huge (ie no Jupiter)

Callahan was asked to recreat the incident for the Pentagon they took all his files and the CIA asked him never to speak about it. Fortunately he was wise enough to make copies of the data.

He's been in a few docs as well I think.

There is a reconstruction here

Callahan also talks about his experience in Leslie Kean's book 'UFOs Generals, Pilots, and Goverment Officials go on the record' p222

The military radar readings from the ground were intermittent but as the craft may have been as large as '4 football pitches' Callahan words, it would be largely beyond the scope of normal radar and partially dismissed as a weather phenomenon.

• Like 1

This one of the best cases of all time in my opinion that of FAA Division Chief John Callahan and a 1986 Japanese Airlines flight (JAL Flight 1628)

We can start with "John Callahan" himself... Did you know that his credentials have never been verified? Thats just for starters... Oh, and did you know that the evidence didnt go to the CIA? It was actually given to Maccabee who was a contractor... his job was to go through the evidence and PUBLISH the findings... which he did in 1987. Also, the members of the government that were present for this meeting have all stated that there was no secrecy... as the "sighting" event had already been widely publicized... and as I mentioned... the investigation report was released in 1987....

Then on to the sighting itself... have you ever wondered why the initial communications with AARTCC describe a completely different scenario than the report given afterward? Just to name one or two of the differences: The captain initially reported that the Aircraft traffic was a mile or better out from their position.... this is what he told AARTCC... however, he later stated that they were so close he could "feel the heat in the cockpit"

The captain also described the lights as "beacons" and "strobe" lights like those found on all modern aircraft.... yet later in time they described that the ships as a whole were pulsating with light.... Also, why did the captain decline a change in altitude if he wanted to get away from the other aircraft? AARTCC offered a course change for him and he declined....

Im not asking you to be a skeptic... im telling you to be rational..... THINK...

Edited by Dredimus
  • Like 6

[...] He still has copies of all the radar readings and pilot recordings. [...]

... and reluctance to share radar data with public and with other UFOlogists is quite telling...

Kinda funny when UFO nutjobs (Callahan likes) are p***ing their pants over governmental secrecy, and in the same time are withholding data in their possession...

• Like 7

Excerpt from transcript

5:21:35 JAL-1628 JAL1628. We cannot identify the type, ah, but we can see, ah, navigation lights and ah, strobe lights.

5:21:48 AARTCC Roger, sir. Say the color of the strobe and beacon lights.

5:21:56 JAL-1628 The color is, ah, white and yellow, I think.

5:22:03 AARTCC White and yellow. Thank you.

Nice to know ufo's follow earthly rules for aircrafts lighting

ETA source

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Air_Lines_flight_1628_incident

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

We can start with "John Callahan" himself... Did you know that his credentials have never been verified? Thats just for starters... Oh, and did you know that the evidence didnt go to the CIA? It was actually given to Maccabee who was a contractor... his job was to go through the evidence and PUBLISH the findings... which he did in 1987. Also, the members of the government that were present for this meeting have all stated that there was no secrecy... as the "sighting" event had already been widely publicized... and as I mentioned... the investigation report was released in 1987....

Then on to the sighting itself... have you ever wondered why the initial communications with AARTCC describe a completely different scenario than the report given afterward? Just to name one or two of the differences: The captain initially reported that the Aircraft traffic was a mile or better out from their position.... this is what he told AARTCC... however, he later stated that they were so close he could "feel the heat in the cockpit"

The captain also described the lights as "beacons" and "strobe" lights like those found on all modern aircraft.... yet later in time they described that the ships as a whole were pulsating with light.... Also, why did the captain decline a change in altitude if he wanted to get away from the other aircraft? AARTCC offered a course change for him and he declined....

Im not asking you to be a skeptic... im telling you to be rational..... THINK...

Come on, I just read something about that Pandolfi and Maceebee claimed they were at a meeting 'like' that one, not the same one and had not been sworn to secrecy. They never directly claimed to be at the same meeting as Callahan. The author is mudding the water there. I seem to remember he gave his testimony at the white house. I'd need to check that.

Come on, I just read something about that Pandolfi and Maceebee claimed they were at a meeting 'like' that one, not the same one and had not been sworn to secrecy. They never directly claimed to be at the same meeting as Callahan. The author is mudding the water there. I seem to remember he gave his testimony at the white house. I'd need to check that.

So, you actually don't really know this field of research?

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 2

So, you actually don't really know this field of research?

Cheers,

Badeskov

No surprisingly I'm not the de facto expert. What I've read over the years has been enough to convince me. I never claimed to be.

Whatever the reason it was a very interesting case. Well documented and certainly spooked a very experience flight crew.

We can start with "John Callahan" himself... Did you know that his credentials have never been verified? Thats just for starters... Oh, and did you know that the evidence didnt go to the CIA? It was actually given to Maccabee who was a contractor... ..

This is actually untrue Maccabee wasn't the contractor on this case he is normally called on up for his visual expertise for TV UFO shows

This is his analysis of the JAL1628 flight from his own website, he seems quite convinced of it veracity.

http://brumac.8k.com...628/JL1628.html

If Maccabee was at this meeting you allege why does he not mention it on his site?

He's a well known ufo believer.

Ron Pandolfi is Dan Smith's CIA contact/ Aviary source

Dan Smith still posts regularly on the new open minds site. Pandolfi from what i've glean over the years definitely has an interest in UFO phenomenon but as his motives no idea.

Dan Smith's ramblings are almost impossible to dechipher.

THINK? You haven't really looked farther than the first debunking story you found.

A Primary return near the plane showed up ie it had no transponder and therefore it was not an aircraft that was tailing JAP 1628

Be very careful of people who make statements like 'Callahan's credentials have never checked out' How does he know? A more honest statement would be 'as far as I know Callahan's credentials have never checked out'

The official documents in the Sirius disclosure show some of his VHS recording and some official FAA papers talking about the event.

Edited by Longeyes

Excerpt from transcript

Nice to know ufo's follow earthly rules for aircrafts lighting

Does it not seem weird to you, that an experienced pilot would mistake standard aircraft lights for a UFO? How many other aircraft must he have seen in his career? They are standardized for a reason.

Also his drawing describes nothing like a plane. He also later reported, according to Maccebee other colours red and green and so did the co pilot.

It also showed up on the military radar as a primary source ie a radar return with no transponder. It is illegal to fly with out one.

Callahan claims they had 30mins of radar data that he handed over to the CIA FBI and Reagan scientific team.

Does it not seem weird to you, that an experienced pilot would mistake standard aircraft lights for a UFO? How many other aircraft must he have seen in his career? They are standardized for a reason.

Also his drawing describes nothing like a plane. He also later reported, according to Maccebee other colours red and green and so did the co pilot.

It also showed up on the military radar as a primary source ie a radar return with no transponder. It is illegal to fly with out one.

Callahan claims they had 30mins of radar data that he handed over to the CIA FBI and Reagan scientific team.

Read this before?

The FAA data package reveals Terauchi to be a "UFO repeater," with two other UFO sightings prior to November 17, and two more this past January, which normally raises a "caution flag" for experienced UFO investigators. The JAL pilot is convinced that UFOs are extraterrestrial and when describing the light(s) Terauchi often used the term spaceship or mothership.

During his January 2 interview with FAA officials, Terauchi said that he believed the "mothership" intentionally positioned itself in the "darkest [easterly] side" of the sky because "I think they did not want to be seen." This enabled the UFO to see the 747 "in front of the sunset and visible for any movement we make." In his report to the FAA, he expressed the hope that "we humans will meet them in the new future"... [On January 11] he again reported spotting unusual lights in roughly the same area while on a repeat flight from Paris to Anchorage...

[Terauchi] always failed to mention that two other aircraft in the area that were vectored into the vicinity of the JAL 747 to try to spot the UFO he had been reporting were unable to see any such object... [Flight Engineer Yoshio Tsukuba] "was not sure whether the object was a UFO or not"... When the copilot [Takanori Tamefuji] was asked if he could distinguish these lights "as being different" from a star, he replied: "No."

http://badufos.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/jal-1628-capt-terauchis-marvellous.html

• Like 1

This is actually untrue Maccabee wasn't the contractor on this case he is normally called on up for his visual expertise for TV UFO shows

This is his analysis of the JAL1628 flight from his own website, he seems quite convinced of it veracity.

http://brumac.8k.com...628/JL1628.html

If Maccabee was at this meeting you allege why does he not mention it on his site?

He's a well known ufo believer.

Ron Pandolfi is Dan Smith's CIA contact/ Aviary source

Dan Smith still posts regularly on the new open minds site. Pandolfi from what i've glean over the years definitely has an interest in UFO phenomenon but as his motives no idea.

Dan Smith's ramblings are almost impossible to dechipher.

THINK? You haven't really looked farther than the first debunking story you found.

A Primary return near the plane showed up ie it had no transponder and therefore it was not an aircraft that was tailing JAP 1628

Be very careful of people who make statements like 'Callahan's credentials have never checked out' How does he know? A more honest statement would be 'as far as I know Callahan's credentials have never checked out'

The official documents in the Sirius disclosure show some of his VHS recording and some official FAA papers talking about the event.

"At the time the UFO incident began near Ft. Yukon, the JAL airliner was flying south in twilight conditions so that an extremely bright Jupiter (-2.6 magnitude) would have been visible on the pilot's left-hand side, where he first reported seeing the UFO, according to Klass. Jupiter was only 10 degrees above the horizon, making it appear to the pilot to be at roughly his own 35,000 ft. altitude. Mars, slightly lower on the horizon, was about 20 degrees to the right of Jupiter but not as bright....Although the very bright Jupiter, and less bright Mars, had to be visible to JAL Capt. Kenjyu Terauchi, the pilot never once reported seeing either -- only a UFO

Many of the colorful details of the incident carried by the news media, largely based on the six-week-old recollections of the pilot of JAL Flight 1628, are contradicted by a transcript of radio messages from the pilot to FAA controllers while the incident was in progress. For example, news media accounts quoting the 747 pilot said that when he executed a 360 degree turn, the UFO had followed him around the turn. But this claim is contrary to what the pilot told FAA controllers at the time."

" Captain[Terauchi] always failed to mention that two other aircraft in the area that were vectored into the vicinity of the JAL 747 to try to spot the UFO he had been reporting were unable to see any such object... [Flight Engineer Yoshio Tsukuba] "was not sure whether the object was a UFO or not"... When the copilot [Takanori Tamefuji] was asked if he could distinguish these lights "as being different" from a star, he replied: "No."

"The FAA data package reveals Terauchi to be a "UFO repeater," with two other UFO sightings prior to November 17, and two more this past January, which normally raises a "caution flag" for experienced UFO investigators. The JAL pilot is convinced that UFOs are extraterrestrial and when describing the light(s) Terauchi often used the term spaceship or mothership.

As for Maccabee, I wasnt stating anything about his views, I was simply stating that he was not CIA/FBI/NSA as previously stated. Yes, everyone knows what Maccabbee's views are on this topic... and he is a nutter like the rest that likes to pick and choose what he puts in his "reports". Like the fact that he didnt once mention that the co-pilot and other crew members of JAL 1628 didn't see nor back up the story of the captain 6 WEEKS AFTER THE "EVENT"...

Read this before?

damnit, I was prepping mine when you posted yours! lol

Edited by Dredimus
  • Like 2

Read this before?

Yes I did see that and that makes him slightly suspect. He was clearly into UFOs. I would normally discount multiple sightings witnesses on that basis.

But what doesn't in this case is the fact that the UFO was picked up on three sources of radar. It was seen by his crew as well.

His weather radar for a time. The military radar and from the FAA radar something could be gleaned as well.

"At the time the UFO incident began near Ft. Yukon, the JAL airliner was flying south in twilight conditions so that an extremely bright Jupiter (-2.6 magnitude) would have been visible on the pilot's left-hand side, where he first reported seeing the UFO, according to Klass. Jupiter was only 10 degrees above the horizon, making it appear to the pilot to be at roughly his own 35,000 ft. altitude. Mars, slightly lower on the horizon, was about 20 degrees to the right of Jupiter but not as bright....Although the very bright Jupiter, and less bright Mars, had to be visible to JAL Capt. Kenjyu Terauchi, the pilot never once reported seeing either -- only a UFO

Only an idiot like Klass would suggest it was Jupiter. Have you ever looked up in the night sky at any of the planets? They never look anything bigger than the brightest star.

Normally someone has to point out which 'star' is Mars or Venus let alone Jupiter which is far farther away.

It just clearly doesn't fit. Stars do not show up on radar or move about and certainly don't fit the description of his 'mothership'

Callahan says in his Sirus interview that although the UFO seems to disappear from view when the United Airlines plane was vectored in. The UFO reappeared and tailed the United Airlines craft. He never claims they saw it so it must have been in the radar data or reports.

• Like 1

. Like the fact that he didnt once mention that the co-pilot and other crew members of JAL 1628 didn't see nor back up the story of the captain 6 WEEKS AFTER THE "EVENT"...

Look at the flack I'm getting for only suggesting it is a real case. They had to face the public in Japan for weeks after the event.

Hundreds of pilots don't report sightings because they stand to lose their jobs. I think it is now FAA policy that forbids you reporting a UFO.

As for Maccabee, I wasnt stating anything about his views, I was simply stating that he was not CIA/FBI/NSA as previously stated.

Who said that? He wasn't at the meeting Callahan claims and I very much doubt that he'd claim that himself.

You also said

'Oh, and did you know that the evidence didnt go to the CIA? It was actually given to Maccabee who was a contractor... his job was to go through the evidence and PUBLISH the findings... which he did in 1987.'

Where does this claim come from?

Edited by Longeyes

This is from Kean's book p228

Callahan writes

During the playback of the 1986 event I clearly observed a primary radar target in the position reported by the Japanese pilot. But the radar signals were intermittent because the UFO was painted as an extremely large primary target and so the FAA computer system treated the UFO radar return as weather. Regardless, the target could be seen near the 747 off and on for thirty-one minutes.

Edited by Longeyes

Only an idiot like Klass would suggest it was Jupiter. Have you ever looked up in the night sky at any of the planets? They never look anything bigger than the brightest star.

Normally someone has to point out which 'star' is Mars or Venus let alone Jupiter which is far farther away.

It just clearly doesn't fit. Stars do not show up on radar or move about and certainly don't fit the description of his 'mothership'

Callahan says in his Sirus interview that although the UFO seems to disappear from view when the United Airlines plane was vectored in. The UFO reappeared and tailed the United Airlines craft. He never claims they saw it so it must have been in the radar data or reports.

1. Kean completely ignored the contradictory witness statements that she received first-hand, and instead went on to publish a book in 2010 titled UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record

2. Krass didnt make those claims.. he was aided in his research by Nick Sanduleak... Nick's testimony and expertise is beyond questioning... look him up.

3. It was not seen by his crew... thats BS from KEAN's book... his crew openly states that they did not see this "mothership". You keep ignoring that the transcripts of the conversation do not match up with the claims he made 6 weeks later...

4. It was one radar, not 3, and I offered you a scientific, true explanation... you have chosen to ignore that as well.

5. You arent catching flack because you say its a real case... you are catching flack because you, in line with every other "believer", refuse to acknowledge contrary evidence... as long as it doesnt support your stance, you dont want to hear it. You are willing, like KEAN, to bend the words and timeline of events to make it fit your scenario. It doesnt work that way. The Fact Is... this has been debunked, it has been proven to be nothing more than the ramblings of this "believer" pilot... Everything about that day refutes what he says 6 weeks later... from the radar imagery to the radio transcripts.

With all that being said, im done going back and forth with you. You keep your head in the clouds and refuse to actually bend when hardline evidence is laid before you... That makes this a fruitless conversation. Good Day.

• Like 2

The key point being, looking up, usually from a town or city (where we live), which has light pollution and clouds/atmospheric distortions. Blimey you cant even see the colors of the milky way or even half of the stars in most modern countries

BTW heres a groundshot of Jupiter, looks pretty damned BIG to me,

source: http://www.skyandtel...osest-by-earth/

Jupiter-scene_Tafresh_small.jpg

You also need to know when the planets are closer, and that info was in the article I posted. Planes of course fly above light pollution...and clouds, so they have a different view entirely

With ideal conditions, and thats NEVER in many countries the skies should look like this

http://gizmodo.com/a...erwh-1521274956

19fgg0s6qsslhjpg.jpg

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Look at the flack I'm getting for only suggesting it is a real case. They had to face the public in Japan for weeks after the event.

Hundreds of pilots don't report sightings because they stand to lose their jobs. I think it is now FAA policy that forbids you reporting a UFO.

When I read about this case there was a few things that convinced me this UFO wasn't another craft of any kind but a combination of weather, dusk and planets and the moon rising.

1. The CAPT in the left seat is the only member of the three man crew that saw giant ship. The other two crewmembers saw "something" and "some lights". I agree that peer pressure may contribute to this lack of memory.

2. A UAL airliner and a USAF C-130 were vectored close enough to see the JAL 747's lights but saw nothing else. If they had seen anything then they would've been required by regulations to report the traffic to center since center directed them into the area to do just that.

3. The FAA and military air search radars picked up a very weak reflection in the general area. This sounds like weather reflection to me but very weak. Certainly not skin paint from a large airborne craft.

4. The JAL weather radar picked up some weak, scattered returns. Once again weather in my opinion.

5. The primary witness is a self-admitted UFO believer who has reported UFO's before.

6. When the JAL 747 pilot reported something large and dark behind his aircraft he was allowed to do a 360° turn and neither he or his crew saw anything.

So what do we have here:

1. We have one pilot who says he saw a giant mothership and two other aircraft and the eyewitness's crew who saw nothing or just some lights

2. Some weak radar returns in the general area.

3. All this happened at dusk with the planets and moon rising and some weather in the area.

If his cockpit crew or the crew from the two other aircraft that were vectored into the area, had seen something or the radars sets had strong returns on a definite aircraft skin then I'd say this case may warrant further investigation but as it stands it sounds like a tired pilot whose eyes were playing tricks on him.

This certainly is NOT a definitive case that would convince anyone to change their mind about ET visitation

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

1. Kean completely ignored the contradictory witness statements that she received first-hand, and instead went on to publish a book in 2010 titled UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record

What? Your restating that rubbish claim that just because Maccabee and Pandolfi were at similar meetings and weren't ask to keep quiet -that debunks Callahan's claims?

They weren't at the same meeting. So the witness statements are not contradictory and she was right to ignore them. I believe Kean to be a fine journalist.

2. Krass didnt make those claims.. he was aided in his research by Nick Sanduleak... Nick's testimony and expertise is beyond questioning... look him up.

Klaus would sell his grandmother to disprove a UFO sighting. He is as bad as the people fabricating UFO stories.

3. It was not seen by his crew... thats BS from KEAN's book... his crew openly states that they did not see this "mothership". You keep ignoring that the transcripts of the conversation do not match up with the claims he made 6 weeks later..

4. It was one radar, not 3, and I offered you a scientific, true explanation... you have chosen to ignore that as well.

Jupiter? However convenient an proposal doesn't fit the data that's not science that's burying your head in the sand.

Jupiter does not give a radar return and no it wasn't on just one radar it showed up on all three. The plane's weather radar, the military radar and as Callahan states in his testimony intermittently on the FAA radar.

Jupiter doesn't jump about in front of the aircraft split into two craft then appear as something else behind the craft.

5. You arent catching flack because you say its a real case... you are catching flack because you, in line with every other "believer", refuse to acknowledge contrary evidence... as long as it doesnt support your stance, you dont want to hear it. You are willing, like KEAN, to bend the words and timeline of events to make it fit your scenario. It doesnt work that way. The Fact Is... this has been debunked, it has been proven to be nothing more than the ramblings of this "believer" pilot... Everything about that day refutes what he says 6 weeks later... from the radar imagery to the radio transcripts.

With all that being said, im done going back and forth with you. You keep your head in the clouds and refuse to actually bend when hardline evidence is laid before you... That makes this a fruitless conversation. Good Day.

That's not hardline evidence. Just because he believes in UFOs doesn't make him a criminal (maybe in your eyes it does) just makes it more likely that he has misjudged the situation but the other evidence backs him up.

• Like 1

Only an idiot like Klass would suggest it was Jupiter.

Only an idiot would consider Klass an idiot.

Have you ever looked up in the night sky at any of the planets?

All the time, I have a 10"Dobsonian and a 4" Celestron and a half decent pair of binoculars - you?

They never look anything bigger than the brightest star.

Totally wrong, and I am not the only one who thinks so.

LINK - Pilot sends plane into dive after mistaking Venus for oncoming plane

LINK - Surprising as it may seem, astronomical objects are the most common cause of mistaken UFO reports, including close encounters

You really do not know the night sky do you. Do you realise you can identify them more easily by location? And I can pick Jupiter from a star with one eye tied behind my back.

The captain is the only one claiming to have a solid reading, the reading from the ground was a "surge primary return." This means that they were picking up occasional radar echo returns. That confirms nothing.

You do not see the big holes in this claim?? Really? Nobody knows how the information was acquired, but hey, who cares if we can play aliens and UFO's.

• Like 1

Klaus would sell his grandmother to disprove a UFO sighting. He is as bad as the people fabricating UFO stories.

That's not hardline evidence. Just because he believes in UFOs doesn't make him a criminal (maybe in your eyes it does) just makes it more likely that he has misjudged the situation but the other evidence backs him up

Come on now, this is a bit dramatic isn't it? Where did anyone compare believing in UFO's to be criminal. You ask for a reasonable discussion and then litter your responses with hysterics like this.

Jupiter? However convenient an proposal doesn't fit the data that's not science that's burying your head in the sand.

Jupiter does not give a radar return and no it wasn't on just one radar it showed up on all three. The plane's weather radar, the military radar and as Callahan states in his testimony intermittently on the FAA radar.

Jupiter doesn't jump about in front of the aircraft split into two craft then appear as something else behind the craft.

No one but a blithering idiot would suggest that Jupiter was causing the radar returns the ground radar was seeing. Where did you get that impression? From the operator's descriptions I read it sounds like they were getting reflections from local weather which would cause spurious, intermittent and spread out returns. There was never anything like a solid return mentioned in the testimony.

• Like 2

No one but a blithering idiot would suggest that Jupiter was causing the radar returns the ground radar was seeing. Where did you get that impression? From the operator's descriptions I read it sounds like they were getting reflections from local weather which would cause spurious, intermittent and spread out returns. There was never anything like a solid return mentioned in the testimony.

That's not true the return was seen by the military was a primary not spread out like the FAA returns. The fact is as Callahan pointed out the FAA radar returns matched where the capt mentioned the the craft was. Clouds don't follow aircraft or move about them. We also know that a craft, assuming it was a big as an aircraft carrier as claimed, would only ever show up as a weather like feature on the Alaskan FAA radar. Modern radar I think I'm right in saying pretty much removes any primaries at all that don't match a transponder. The military radar would be far more advanced and the return would have been much clearer and probably show up on more than one system. They would never release that radar data it got wiped.

Jupiter has been used to explain away the sighting and the Capt's sighting. He was on the left hand side of the cockpit with the sun setting to that side that brighter sky, Klass's explanation was given before a full summary of the sightings was made available.

Jupiter and Mars don't change arrangement in the sky ,ie from side to side to one above the other in the Capt testimony and certainly don't move of to the side and certainly don't appear to be anything like the 'mothership' I read somewhere the CSICOP dropped the Mars-Jupiter explanation in favor of ice crystals.

• Like 1