Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Planets, Nearly as Old as Universe

bison

Planets have been observed around an eleven billion year old star. It's been determined that they're even smaller than Earth, and so are very probably rocky worlds. It has not been at all certain that terrestrial-type planets could have formed nearly so early in the history of the universe. The reservation was that not enough of the elements heavier than hydrogen and helium might have been synthesized in the stars.

This discovery greatly expands the range of time in which life as we know it could have begun, and evolved. See link to article below for more on this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26856-ancient-planets-are-almost-as-old-as-the-universe.html#.VMew1BweQrg

• Like 1

I always wonder whether we are interpreting this data correctly...whether or not our own maths is correct. Perhaps "we" are extrapolating information based on false constructs that ultimately are shown to be wrong...IMO

• Like 6

Is it not also possible that the star captured a wandering planet?...

It's possible but extraordinarily unlikely. This system has five planets, capturing one rogue planet would be a rare event, capturing five would be highly unlikely.

• Like 3

I always wonder whether we are interpreting this data correctly...whether or not our own maths is correct. Perhaps "we" are extrapolating information based on false constructs that ultimately are shown to be wrong...IMO

That's always possible in science, which is, by its nature, subject to correction when a better theory or new observations come along. The scientists give it their best shot and hope they're right.

• Like 2

Besides the numerical improbability of five captured planets, these worlds are reportedly in harmonic orbits, the orbital period of one being a multiple of the period of the others. How such an orderly system could be made up of randomly captured planets is hard to imagine.

It's possible but extraordinarily unlikely. This system has five planets, capturing one rogue planet would be a rare event, capturing five would be highly unlikely.

True... I asked my question before I was able to read the linked article... danged outdated browser!...

Planets have been observed around an eleven billion year old star. It's been determined that they're even smaller than Earth, and so are very probably rocky worlds. It has not been at all certain that terrestrial-type planets could have formed nearly so early in the history of the universe. The reservation was that not enough of the elements heavier than hydrogen and helium might have been synthesized in the stars.

This discovery greatly expands the range of time in which life as we know it could have begun, and evolved. See link to article below for more on this:

http://www.newscient...ml#.VMew1BweQrg

what it really means is they don't know what they are talking about.

\

or they are purposely leaving out how the universe got started. if it started by itself then those planets shouldn't be there. how ever if it had help, then those elements needed to create the planets were there when the universe was created.

\

or they are purposely leaving out how the universe got started. if it started by itself then those planets shouldn't be there. how ever if it had help, then those elements needed to create the planets were there when the universe was created.

The Universe started with the big bang,the elements required to create planets life and everything are made when Stars die.We are in fact stardust made from dying stars,no imaginary Deity or supernatural being required....

http://www.newscient...ml#.VMew1BweQrg

The Old Ones were already ancient when the Earth was born.

"Old Ones"? Are we going Lovecraftian on these worlds? The home neighborhood of Cthugha?

Orange dwarfs are considered good candidates for hosting alien life because they can stay stable for up to 30 billion years, compared to the sun's 10 billion years, the time it takes these stars to consume all their hydrogen. For context, the universe is currently 13.8 billion years old.

Isn't Cthugha orange flame? Coincidence?

Interesting find. Keep finding those planets Science!!

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

The Universe started with the big bang,the elements required to create planets life and everything are made when Stars die.We are in fact stardust made from dying stars,no imaginary Deity or supernatural being required....

yes but what caused the big bang. plus how did anything have time to start the big bang when time didn't exist before the big bang.

• Like 1

I'm starting to believe that daniel is, in fact, and elaborate hoax. He's just a character being played by somebody who is trying to fool us all.

• Like 2

I'm starting to believe that daniel is, in fact, and elaborate hoax. He's just a character being played by somebody who is trying to fool us all.

you can think what ever you want. and nibs i don't care how mad you get at me, i stand by what i said.

you can think what ever you want. and nibs i don't care how mad you get at me, i stand by what i said.

Hmmm... no direct denial.

• Like 2

It might expand the time which life evolved, but apparently they(if they existed) died out like we will very soon on the galatic scale. If life did exist on other worlds billions of years before us, then they either died out via their own ignorance and greed like we will, or they never existed in the first place, or they would be here. I still stand by the Rare Earth theory.

• Like 1

Honest question. How do they know the star is 11 billion years old?

read the article.

#12 : sometime, late at night, i think about the insects philosophers crawling proudly on the fourth moon of jupiter.

• Like 1

read the article.

Didnt see the link, I read the bit on this sites homepage. Still doesnt seem like a very accurate way of dating to be honest but id have to have more time to read up on it.

Didnt see the link, I read the bit on this sites homepage. Still doesnt seem like a very accurate way of dating to be honest but id have to have more time to read up on it.

i agree with you on the timeline.

Honest question. How do they know the star is 11 billion years old?

read the article.

I did, and there's nothing on there about how they dated the star.

unless you're seeing something i'm not.....?

The article linked in the original post goes into how the star's age was determined. They used astroseismology. Certain brightness variations on the star reveal vibrations in its interior. These can be interpreted to show the density of the star. Since a star on the main sequence, such as this one, converts hydrogen to helium, it is constantly increasing its density. Knowing the density allows the age of the star to be inferred.