Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Theory on extinction of dinosaurs

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,365 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:03 PM

You might find some of these papers even more interesting:-

http://www.yukonmuseums.ca/mammoth/progabst.htm

There is no evidence that any mammoth was 'flash frozen'.   That's not an opinion, it's a fact original.gif    Mammoths, so far as we can currently determine, became extinct over a long period of time due to changes to climate and vegetation (it became wetter, leading to the creation of tundra and spread of plants unpalatable to mammoths)  - they held out on Wrangel Island in the Arctic Ocean until just 5,000 years ago.

btw those references you give refer to different mammoths and in some cases are wholly erroneous both in fact and assumption.

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#32    iaapac

iaapac

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

• The only difference between genius and ignorance is that genius has a limit

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

I have to wonder why you asked for scientific references when you refute them without examination.  While some refer to other mammoth cases (obviously), each contains a mentioning of the baby mammoth to which I referred.  I respect your opinion but consider it only that . . . . opinion.

#33    Paulwhale

Paulwhale

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:40 PM

It seems logical to me that hundreds of thousands of these gigantic stomachs on 4 legs required astronomical amounts of food to survive and ipso facto left behind astronomical mountains of dung.After a few million years of grazing the vast plains and forests where they were found,the food supplies started to become more and more scarce,a 20 tons plant-eater would have easily cleared an area the size of central park during its lifetime if not larger.Multiply this by 1,000 and you can easily see an area the size of New York become cleared of everything they could eat in no time.Now multiply this by 100 and the problem becomes apparent.Add the problems related to the tons of dung produced and accumulating
and releasing tons of gases in the atmosphere and you have the perfect scenario for a relatively rapid progression of conditions leading to their extinction.They simply ran out of food by eating so much and by releasing so much gases in the atmosphere impairing the growth of new plants and killing some plant species indispensable to their survival.
I am no scientist and it is just and theory,but it seems to make sense to me.Ok,I'm ready for the first 1000 readers to throw their stone at me.

you have mistake here: dinos didn't require astonishing amounts of food at all, a lot, yes, astonishing? no, they were cold-blooded (please don't argue) and cold-blooded creatures need miserable amounts of food compared to their size.

#34    Paulwhale

Paulwhale

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:32 AM

Most large predators besides the alligator were warmed-blooded. They need lots of energy to hunt and kill their prey. Now the herbivores may have been cold blooded which would mean they would have naturally needed less energy; hence, the dinosaurs you speak of may not have consumed as much food as you think.

http://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/dinos/de_4/5c51d90.htm
http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/image_g...o/coldwarm.html

LOL, crocs were cold-blooded as well, there is no proof on ANY dino being warm-blooded, but there is proof on some dinos that they COULD NOT be warm-blooded.

#35    Paramys

Paramys

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

• "Per Aspera, Ad Astra"

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

The huge plant eaters were dumb brutes, they walked in small herds eating and moving on alot of the plants they ate had fruits that passed through the digestive tract and needed the dung to grow so had nutrients as soon as it was deposited so they helped grow back what they ate, when they laid eggs they dug a hole dropped the eggs covered then carried on so the eggs were eaten by carnivores and those that survived hatched and where alone and created there own little herds to try and survive maybe a quarter of them survived eating some of the newly sprouting plants left by the adult dung some died naturally most from predators so not many made it to adulthood so huge populations never really happened nature has a way to curb populations unless the creatures are as smart as us and ignore nature and find ways to adapt

Check out my paranormal page and give a like www.facebook.co.uk/Paramys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users