Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dutch town terrorised by rogue owl

Still Waters

Residents in the northern Dutch town of Purmerend have been advised to take umbrellas out at night after a spate of attacks by an owl.

Dozens of residents have suffered head injuries over the past three weeks at the claws of the rogue European eagle owl.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-31628508

• Like 1

Cranky owl...I hope he settles down soon, and nobody else gets hurt - or hurts him.

We have Magpie season here where they swoop on anyone that may come close to the vicinity of their nests where their chicks are.

They have big beaks and a nasty peck. They are also a protected bird here.

magpie1.jpg

• Like 1

i did worn them never trust a owl i said... they are planing on overthrowing humanity... any day now

Wow I never heard of such a thing with owls. They are by far my most favorite bird.

I was attacked by a fiesty screech owl before. He/she wouldn't let me walk down a trail I was on. This went on for 15 minutes or so. I'm guessing I wondered in its territory or something I had on set it off. It was frightening and exciting at the same time. Owl always love owls :)

The screech owls that visit my yard, almost every night, have been unusually vocal lately, and with a greater variety of calls. I suspect it's due to the onset of mating season. This could well be the trouble with that Dutch owl.

Edited by bison

If this was brought on by mating season, they're lucky he only attacked their heads.

Decency and site policy dictate that I leave it at that. Must...resist...urge ...to elaborate.

Edited by Foil Hat Ninja

One of my cousins hit one with his car one night and brought the carcass by our house. The talons and beak on that bird are frightening. They could do a LOT of damage if the thing decided you were it's prey.

Fortunately, most of the owls locally here are the Screech Owl variety, about 6-8" tall and mostly a danger to small mice. Of course once in a while we see a Great Horned Owl, considerably more formidable.

Not only Owls but Bald Eagles attack people in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...