Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China's panda population increases by 17%

Still Waters

The number of giant pandas living in the wild has increased by nearly 17 per cent over the last decade, according to a survey by the Chinese government released on Saturday.

John Baker, head of India and China regions at WWF-UK, said the population increase "is a demonstration of the successful conservation actions taken by the government and the people of China".

http://www.telegraph...nsus-finds.html

• Like 2

I'm sorry... but I seen WWF and I still see the abbreviation for World Wrestling Federation instead of world wildlife fund.

Good job! Sounds like they were "this close" to extinction.

Edited by pallidin

If there is already land that has been de-forested, the Chinese could sow bamboo seed or plant bamboo shoots and get new areas established for future introductions of Panda. They could also do this with offshore islands if any are not populated, which unfortunately is unlikely.

And we trust the Chinese government to give us accurate data, Why?

• Like 1

Yeah, I trust their data as much as I trust data coming out of Russia.

If this is true, than this is good.

Can't be any worse than data from the US govt.

But good news, sadly we can't save animals at the rate we're erradicating them though.

• Like 1

I really don't trust this data. It's impossible unless less habitat is destroyed and then restored from previous losses. That doesn't happen in China

Very good to hear. I just hope they don't start winding up on the menu in some dingy backstreet somewhere. If that starts happening in China I'm sure the authorities will take a very dim view on the matter. I pray for you Giant panda. Hang in there.

Yet they let the Baiji go extinct. To me this is hype, Pandas are cute, so it makes people feel good, but it doesn't address the mass extinction issue.

• Like 1