Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your spiritual journey

Just_Seeking

As a baby I was baptized through Catholic practice. As a child I knew of God and blamed him for minute problems. As a teenager I found Christ.

When I was locked up as a teenager I broke cried confessed my sins and the next day I was literally let out. I appreciated it and followed for a while. Just to fall away again.

So in my early twenties I became absence with faith and found myself in jail were I turned to Islam for months. And after that touched on Buddhism and scientology. Then turned to Matthew, Mark,Luke,and John. Where I came closer to Christ. Once again I baptized myself, confessed my sins, praised him, and prayed for forgiveness and freedom crying all the way threw. That next morning I was told I was leaving for home.

This last part I truly found Christ and followed his footsteps. I cleaned my flesh everyday, repented everyday, praised everyday for what I had and had not, and prayed for others everyday also read the bible everyday before the cleanse.

Three weeks in I heard God while preaching to methed out teenagers about how I don't go to church but worship everyday. I heard "Why art thou hiding from me." I was shocked and asked them if they heard it. They said no. Two days later I was reading the bible and wondering what God looked like and in the room I heard plain as day "Art thou of me." Neither was my voice or my mind never heard any voices like that before or since. I've had vision, sign, and wonders since. I know my truth and love my God.

Findly opened up about it. Good luck and God bless.

Tell your story I love Gods works it's meant for all but few listen.

• Like 4

IMO There is NO such thing as spirituality....we live a physical and biological life. It's more of a psychological effect if one believes hard enough and the mind tries to connect everything in such terms....power of the mind.

Edited by Monstar
  • Like 2

We we'll see one day for if you are right no hope, but if I am right I hope you find it so we shall be in grace.

To me it's beyond coincidence. My mind is strong but my body is weak and my soul cannot be explained. It is deep my friend I have been through scripture and found the man I am know. When I found Christ I got close to God.

Their is no way for you to understand my journey, my journey was mine and mine alone. I am a breed of man that is hard to find now. I would literally give you the shirt of my back if anyone needs help I will help. I help like my heart beats friend I just do. I stick up for the weak. I will protect all that need a shield I will be that shield.

I follow only Christ teachings and would never denounce him. I'm loyal till death. Good luck and God bless.

• Like 1

We we'll see one day for if you are right no hope, but if I am right I hope you find it so we shall be in grace.

To me it's beyond coincidence. My mind is strong but my body is weak and my soul cannot be explained. It is deep my friend I have been through scripture and found the man I am know. When I found Christ I got close to God.

Their is no way for you to understand my journey, my journey was mine and mine alone. I am a breed of man that is hard to find now. I would literally give you the shirt of my back if anyone needs help I will help. I help like my heart beats friend I just do. I stick up for the weak. I will protect all that need a shield I will be that shield.

I follow only Christ teachings and would never denounce him. I'm loyal till death. Good luck and God bless.

If it works for you....then keep with it, just remember....more could be happening here that isn't related to jesus or spiritual meanings. Again, the mind is very powerful at creating a certain perspective/idea and making it feel convincing depending on ones own persona...very influential.

Edited by Monstar
  • Like 3

Thank you for your story Just_seeking :) Everyone is different and your journey seems very precious to you. I can respect that.

I am not a "religious" person. I am spiritual in that I do believe there is a power greater than myself in the Universe. I feel we are all connected through stars exploding and creating life. So, in that way, we are all connected.

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools through High School. Once I went to University my beliefs regarding "religion" changed. I feel I don't need a building or community to practice my spirituality. I like to do that on my own and in my own ways.

I enjoy and respect nature and I am interested in the sciences (still have a lot to learn) ;)

I practice kindness and love and try to live a moral life in harmony with nature and those that surround me.

I always liked the quote from Voltaire that goes something like (paraphrasing): "I might not agree with what you have to say or believe, but I will defend your right to say it."

So anyways, thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you have found peace and a way of life that suits you best :tu:

• Like 5

IMO There is NO such thing as spirituality....we live a physical and biological life. It's more of a psychological effect if one believes hard enough and the mind tries to connect everything in such terms....power of the mind.

As much as I respect your beliefs, they left fundamental questions without answers. Why does this physical and biological life even exist? What is the meaning of it all? What is consciousness in the first place? Why do you think that your own beliefs are exempt from this 'psychological effect' you're refering to? You see, I think that's what spirituality is about, transcending this physical life, by acknowledging that it is a temporary state of existence.

Edited by samus
  • Like 5

I'm an earthling, my spirituality begins and ends with nature. In my youth I shook off the indoctrination of Abrahamic ideologies. In my 40's I was living on the edge of a huge forest. While there I had a revelation, while sitting under a tree, about the nature of the Universe. Call it what you will, but it changed me. After stumbling around for about year trying to sort it out a friend pointed me to the Pagan section of the library and said it might be what I am look for. I found people who where like minded there. I am a Pagan Druid and I've never been happier.

Peace, y'all.

• Like 6

My spiritual journey began with Christianity I was exposed to it all throughout my childhood and saw the darker more judgmental side of it. I got into occultism because I sought more. Spent a great deal of my youth exploring various belief systems. Became a Christian myself when I was in my early 20's but quit 3 years later after the Christian mindset began to turn me into an elitist prick. So I quit and gave up on "god". While I respect the principals that Jesus stood for I do not see him as the biblical figure. To me he was just a man with a good idea. So I adhere to the golden rule the best I can and do good because I want to. I seek no salvation, no redemption, and I pray to no one. I believe that we are fully responsible for our live. I am agnostic because I simply don't know the truth of what's really going on and why.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 6

Cool stories. I first went to church when I was 5 or 6, cried a lot there because it was beautiful, on a soul level. I've always navigated towards sincerity in these things, and any written words and stories of others can't be answers for me, in themselves. They can show you the ways, the things, but you gotta use your own feet, in the spiritual sense, you gotta experience the things yourself, feel them yourself.

Masanobu Fukuoka, one man of science who had a revelation about nature and god, god resides in all things natural. What is natural? Free will, that's what Edgar Cayce, the renowned sleeping prophet said. Free will, harmony, love, vibrations. I'm on a journey to experience these things, having lived in a tent while going to work for 3 weeks now, works for me, getting closer to nature. Finding the primordial spirit and I've felt greater closeness, alike to that when I was a child in measure. Also Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido martial art, his physical method was to deter opponent by utilizing the opponent's momentum, but his spiritual method seemed to be, to find (to sense) that goodness-potential in opponent the opponent didn't use at the moment of attack and encourage that to manifest, so the opponent wouldn't do harm but have a moment of mercy or such, instead. I've yet to read his books but that's how he comes across to me. He encouraged opponents to use their free will positively and that made him stand out.

Science is not my enemy, I have no enemy, not even those who might wish or do harm to me. Who knows if I can still get mad, sure I probably can, no big deal, but all those things I've felt agitated about... they all had their blind spots and I found that hard to accept. The blind spots exist because people haven't experienced things. So I go out to woods and experience.

Peace.

• Like 6

I've seen to many horrible things and been subjected to to much to believe in anything like that.

I envy you for being able to though, I wish I could.

• Like 3

I've seen to many horrible things and been subjected to to much to believe in anything like that.

I get it <<hugs>> You've had a rocky journey. Maybe one day you will...

• Like 3

As much as I respect your beliefs, they left fundamental questions without answers. Why does this physical and biological life even exist? What is the meaning of it all? What is consciousness in the first place? Why do you think that your own beliefs are exempt from this 'psychological effect' you're refering to? You see, I think that's what spirituality is about, transcending this physical life, by acknowledging that it is a temporary state of existence.

I have found that spirituality and psychology aretwo sides of the same coin. My spiritual practice is not about transcending the physical plane. We're here, we have bodies, clearly we were meant to live in the physical world. So why not explore how our beliefs and our psychological makeup can work together to create a life of joy? Life is the greatest gift we have ever gotten, treasure it, make the most of it, be in gratitude that we're here right now, explore, discover, learn. I've now found an answer to the question of why we're here that I could buy into 100%, so I've moved on to the question of how I can make the most of the time I have here. And I will be sorry to leave when it's my time to go, it's been a fabulous ride!

• Like 7

I have found that spirituality and psychology aretwo sides of the same coin. My spiritual practice is not about transcending the physical plane. We're here, we have bodies, clearly we were meant to live in the physical world. So why not explore how our beliefs and our psychological makeup can work together to create a life of joy? Life is the greatest gift we have ever gotten, treasure it, make the most of it, be in gratitude that we're here right now, explore, discover, learn. I've now found an answer to the question of why we're here that I could buy into 100%, so I've moved on to the question of how I can make the most of the time I have here. And I will be sorry to leave when it's my time to go, it's been a fabulous ride!

I concur 99%...the 1% non concurrence is that...I will not be sorry to leave when it is my time to go...not to be construed to mean that, I will be glad...only that... I will be happy to return to the greater energy of the Cosmos. Life exists because of death...both have their place in the physical reality....and in the spiritual reality...whatever that may or may not be.

There are no answers to the 'questions'...only speculative ones at best. But...that's okay too..because...what that should tell us is that, answering those questions is NOT why we are here. If you want to be loved... love. If you want to be happy...spread happiness. Whatever you give to others is returned to you.

• Like 3

Of course, there isn't but one universal definition of spirituality. Inclusively and broadly speaking, it may be said to be that which gives meaning to one's life, a process of personal transformation.

When I said 'transcending this physical life', it is for me the realization that:

''We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.''

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, scientist and theologian

You're absolutely right, it is for us to make the most out of this experience that is Life.

Edited by samus
  • Like 1

I think all young children are spiritual beings in that they do not have preconceived notions (hopefully not yet, anyway). My spiritual journey began when I was 14 and picked up a copy of Alan Watts 'The Way of Zen'. I was astounded to discover this explanation of Zen was exactly how I thought about life.

Spirituality in this sense is the discovery of one's true nature, without all the added extras psychological experiences add to one's ways of perceiving one's self and the world.

I think a spiritual being is one who is not influenced by external persuasions, let's say. One who sees through the gobbledygook to some uncontaminated truth.

• Like 2

I dont actually know what Spiritual means other than the connotations we put on it or accept for its description but mine began when I was a small child, I saw a woman dressed in white, wearing a tall conical hat gliding out of the washroom I was in and on through a wall...How could that be I wondered, then at a later time, drawings appearing on a window pane at night during a rain storm, skull and crossbones in vivid red etc...then much further in time, around 4 years of age, a voice calling my name.

In all instances I sought understanding from my parents with some saying how imaginative I was and others talking about another world separated from the only world I knew and so on.

So I grew to understand that Spirit was another world that occasionally interacted with my world.

Then religious folks entered the picture and so I ended up attending Sunday School sessions, a great way to eat food different to what I was used to, cakes and rolls and so on and during this period I learnt about God and Jesus but couldn't see the relevance of a foreign idea in my life or the changes I would need to undertake in order to follow the scriptures as deemed right.

During this entire period I was steeped in my own cultures lore so was constantly comparing answers from adults to the understanding that I already had.

It wasn't until much later that I worked out there were different races and subsequently, different ideas about things in general.

When I discovered Alternative concepts to those propounded by folks deep into their religious stuff I finally found accord with another cultures journey into this so called spiritual concept, but unlike the other perspective, this one included the Dark side, devils, sprites etc and so another perspective emerged.

Spirit was to do with benign entities and the devil takes the rest....

In the end I concluded that a spiritual journey was one of self enlightenment according to a set criteria much like religion and that there was no description for the dark side as of yet, even though there are folks who describe Satanism as this Dark side concept.

On balance my assumption is that both are one and the same and that the individual moves through both as befits their needs at the time so, no prizes...

Above all this was the discipline of Psychology, the workings of the mind from all cultures, as much of it as I could find that is and this gave further insights but no definitive basis of understanding so then I reverted back to my initial approach, I believe what I believe based on what I know at the time...

Of course what I know at the time depends on my focus at the time so hope fully, somewhere in the future, an understanding encompassing all the above may come into being...

This is getting too rambling now, my bad.

• Like 1

I love that, Whisperer, believing based on what you know at the time. That's pretty much where I've landed. I know as I grow & change, my beliefs & understandings & perceptions will change, if my past is any indication of the future. I sometimes envy those who are so certain. There are times when I'd like to have that kind of certainty, but for me, that certainty has often led to a closed mind. For me own personal happiness I have to remain flexible and open.

• Like 3

Spirituality is subjective to the person; everyone's journey and belief's are different.

This is so true. Also your Avatar is awesome :clap: I still have all my action figures and their accessories I saved from when I was a kid :yes:

• Like 1

I know this one. You can't change what's happened to you or un-see horrors that fellow humans inflict on each other or any helpless being. As much as I love hearing stories of faith, and as happy as I am for the teller, I would be lying if I didn't say I wished I had my own, too. Hang in there :mellow:

This is so true. Also your Avatar is awesome :clap: I still have all my action figures and their accessories I saved from when I was a kid :yes:

That's awesome!!! Thank you for that - hugs!! mjny44.jpg

• Like 2

I concur 99%...the 1% non concurrence is that...I will not be sorry to leave when it is my time to go...not to be construed to mean that, I will be glad...only that... I will be happy to return to the greater energy of the Cosmos. Life exists because of death...both have their place in the physical reality....and in the spiritual reality...whatever that may or may not be.

There are no answers to the 'questions'...only speculative ones at best. But...that's okay too..because...what that should tell us is that, answering those questions is NOT why we are here. If you want to be loved... love. If you want to be happy...spread happiness. Whatever you give to others is returned to you.

I am with you Joc, there are just some questions that are a waste of time, for me, to ask because there are not answers for them, anyways. My spirituality is similar to yours; I spend my time loving those that are the gifts in my life (I cherish the opportunity to love: my kids, my hubby, my friends, and family). I also think there will come a point that I have had enough and will welcome returning to the universe, however that pans out. Great post!

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

As I have felt strongly, for years, I feel that the spirituality in me makes me happy and enthusiastic. Although, I hear ya, Monstar. I can see where you have come to your thoughts. For me, I just think there is such thing as spirituality and I feel it as like a new limb within my essence. Yeah, you might not understand that, but that is how I see it and feel it differently.

You know, I find this interesting. Like me, I have my experiences and my trials, and my own different spiritual adventure. I feel bad that you went through so much to get where you are.

Believe it or not, I was raised secular. My father was congregational, and my mother is presbyterian, or so I was told, give or take. Anyways, by the time I was born, religion was not practiced in my home. So, I never went to a weekly church, or read a bible. There was Christmas, and Easter, but practiced in it's usual social traditional ways, where no church attendance was involved. Growing up in the North East of the U.S., it was a non-issue. Oh yeah, there were the door to door lectures, and some kids who got snooty about us not going to church, but other than that, it was pretty much secular. Though my mother told me and my sibs, we had a right to choose what we practiced and believed in when we turned 18. They would support it. I did go through a small space of time as an Atheist, but I have had too much experiences and getting answers coming from the most unique places to make me feel, I was not an Atheist. I know I was not a traditional believer, Christianity, Judasim, and such, but I feel I have practiced some form of spiritual believing.

You could say, that there was a search for answers, and non-material path I would take, but I got answers. And that's just it, it was only just me. One part of me does not want to open to others, (I don't think they would believe it) and the other part thinks others will think I'm wrong. Ach, that doesn't matter, my beliefs make me look again at others and see everyone's place in the world. I never went through various lows that would make me rethink my beliefs, but I really think my belief has gotten me through those various lows in my life.

• Like 2