Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The brown wizard from The Hobbit

LostSouls7

Yes so I finally saw The Hobbit last night. And I must say I connected with the character of The Brown Wizard. He cares for nature and the earth and was a protector of the woods and animals.

Well I don't say more about him because you should watch the movie. But he is a good example for the whole world. I am happy I got to learn of the brown Wizard. I will follow in his footsteps it was destiny to learn about him and change my spiritual destiny.

• Like 2

Radagast? Cool in the films, not particularly significant in the book

• Like 1

Yes I didn't read the book but I saw the cartoon.

I do like that they added him. He shows a different kind of Wizard.

Ah old poop hair.

Read the book, it is actually rather a pleasant read.

I am going to read the book. I am sad to find out the brown wizard was never in the original.

Well I like him.

• Like 1

I am going to read the book. I am sad to find out the brown wizard was never in the original.

Well I like him.

Very much of what was in the movie was not in the book. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there was even a single female character in the Hobbit, and Bilbo, Gollum and Gandalf were among the few (only?) characters that also appeared in the Rings trilogy. It's been quite a while since I read them. Much of it was done as a tie in for the sake of continuity (and that six movie pack BluRay Combo, no doubt). As for the "Brown Wizard", I shy away from people covered in bird poo.

• Like 1

I came into this thread to answer, ... yes, it is the seventh doctor. :innocent:

• Like 2

Hi there,

Lord of the Rings, J.R.R Tolkien super nerd here! :st

Radagast is mentioned in the Hobbit but does not really play a part. Gandalf mentions him and says something like "Perhaps you have heard of my cousin Radagast who lives near the Southern Borders of Mirkwood."

Wizards in the Tolkien universe are not humans who learned magic but rather lesser angels called Istari and there are five:

Saruman the White

Gandalf the Grey

Radagast the Brown

Alatar and Pallando the Blue Wizards (The names are somewhat debated on, but most accept those names as Canon)

The two Blue Wizards are sort of debated about but most assume (based on Tolkien letters) they went into the East and convinced groups out there not to join to the side of Sauron.

I personally disliked Radagast in the movie, he seemed too clownish, and his activities really throw off the CORRECT time line of the series.

Edited by woodsbooger
  • Like 9

If you like Radagast and the other wizards, if my memory serves me correctly (it might not, i've been hit in the head.....a lot) You might like the Silmarillion

• Like 4

If you like Radagast and the other wizards, if my memory serves me correctly (it might not, i've been hit in the head.....a lot) You might like the Silmarillion

Yes, but I wouldn't TOUCH the Silmarillion until you have read the Hobbit then the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also, if you decide to read Lord of the Rings, my advice to you (coming from someone who has read it every winter for over 7 years) is DO NOT read it like a normal book with a typical plot diagram (Introduction, Conflict, Climax, Falling Action, Resolution) because it does not read like that. It has all of those things, but they are SO stretched out it's insane. Read it like you are reading a history book of a fabulous mythical world. You are going to get so much information thrown at you, some that does not seem relevant (and technically isn't when considering the story of Lord of the Rings) hence why I say it's more like a history book. Also, don't be afraid to skip a page or two when it comes to any songs or long pointless stories.

Tootles!

• Like 7

Well thank you I will read the books. Yes it seems it would read like a historical

magical grimmore !

That sounds wonderful! Yes The brown wizard was goofy. But I did like his connection to nature

that was wonderful !

Wow so the wizards are lesser angels?

That is interesting.

I thought they were just humans who learned about magical powers.

Edited by LostSouls7
  • Like 1

Yeah theyre all angels more or less.

Saying that though is a crazy oversimplification. From what I've read from you in other threads it's probably something right up your alley

• Like 3

I loved the movies, but the books and the movies are different. I liked Radagast in the movie, but I like my showers, too.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 3

Yeah theyre all angels more or less.

Saying that though is a crazy oversimplification. From what I've read from you in other threads it's probably something right up your alley

Yes, it is a oversimplification, but that was my intention, I can't write everything here.

I loved the movies, but the books and the movies are different. I liked Radagast in the movie, but I like my showers, too.

I also love the movies, I have not read the book I need to!

I also like Radagast! Yes but I also enjoy my nice showers as well.

And even in ancient times I would bath in the lakes or whereever i could etc.

I think Bilbo did say they have plumbing back then though ?

• Like 1

If memory serves me correctly, somewhere in the Lord of the Rings books, doesn't Gandalf have some disparaging comments about Radagast?

• Like 1

Also, don't be afraid to skip a page or two when it comes to any songs or long pointless stories.

Then you would miss Tom Bombadil.

I say don't skip a word.

The song the Dwarves sing when cleaning up their mess in Bilbo's home is fantastic and hilarious.

Harte

• Like 5

Alatar and Pallando the Blue Wizards (The names are somewhat debated on, but most accept those names as Canon)

The two Blue Wizards are sort of debated about but most assume (based on Tolkien letters) they went into the East and convinced groups out there not to join to the side of Sauron.

I think these names were created from the old Middle Earth RPG back in the day. The also created non-canon names for the Nazgul as well. Not really important enough to look up personally. There is a part in the movie when Gandalf couldn't remember the names of the Blue Wizards. A nod to the fact that Tolkien didn't have names for them, either.

Again....I think.

• Like 2

He also smokes weed! Being a lover of nature this makes perfect sense.

Nice touch Mr Jackson..:D

• Like 5

I found the movies an unsettling mix of the moody, the hilarious and the banal. The dour and gloomy portrayal of Thorin Oakenshield, clashed with that of his amusing dwarven companions who only needed a Snow White to make the picture they evoked, complete. The almost sterile, phlegmatic portrayal of Bilbo(as compared to the book version) made the actor seem to have to come out of character of necessity to fulfill the demands of the script. As for Radagast the Brown, his solo parts of the the movies seemed like delightful vignettes of a wonderful Disney film I would dearly love to see, and clashed with the more somber tones of the rest of the film. At least the Orcs and goblins weren't the slimy horrors they were in the Movie Lord of the Rings.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

I think these names were created from the old Middle Earth RPG back in the day. The also created non-canon names for the Nazgul as well. Not really important enough to look up personally. There is a part in the movie when Gandalf couldn't remember the names of the Blue Wizards. A nod to the fact that Tolkien didn't have names for them, either.

Again....I think.

Nah, Tolkien named them in the Unfinished Tales

• Like 4

Again....I think.

Yeah it's the Unfinished Tales

• Like 2