Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More Mysterious Flashes in S.Russian Sky

She-ra

An inexplicable white-and-blue flash was spotted lighting up the sky over the southern Russian city of Stavropol. A dashcam video has since triggered a heated debate over the origins of the mysterious sight.

Read more and watch video evidence here: http://rt.com/news/241629-russia-ufo-flash-light/

Speculation includes:

...faults in the electricity net, Northern Lights, an asteroid and even UFOs.

Interesting :tu:

• Like 1

Yes. In the article it says something about a nearby military base. Not sure if those types of flashes would be from there or not. They seemed like they lit up a huge portion of the sky. Some speculation even pointed to something UFO-ish. Anyways, thought it was interesting enough to share :)

Thanks DMM!

Edited by She-ra

Two observations. Instant headache from the horrible rap music. Second observation being it reminds me of the Pink Floyd show I saw at Three Rivers Stadium in the summer of '94. It was a hot, steamy, muggy and somewhat cloudy night and the lights and lasers entrapped all of downtown Pittsburgh like a giant UFO. Very trippindicular :)

• Like 1

Ive seen high altitude flares that were very similar, especially with such low cloud cover, and given that there are bases near by Its most certainly military!

(After some research) Russia is up to all sorts of hijinx just now they are runing various "training" missions from both East and West,

many reports of Russian aircraft and submersibles where they shouldn't be all over the globe,

This flash was most certainly a type of high altitude flare test! The russians have used this method to detect stealth aircraft for years

• Like 2

I've seen electrical transformers explode and give off that blue-white light. They can be nearly as bright as lightning over a short distance.

• Like 2

I've seen electrical transformers explode and give off that blue-white light. They can be nearly as bright as lightning over a short distance.

I agree I've seen it happen. It's crazy loud and brilliant arced green lights. But this is on such a collosal scale. It's like a nuclear power plant exploded.

Going by the way the clouds are being illuminated in the video, the source of the light does appear to be originating on the ground, and a meteor would have been detected by radar which it wasn't. Stavropol airport said it had shone it's high powered spotlights on the clouds that night but that doesn't explain why the flash seems to have knocked out some street lamps. I'd say the flash was caused by the airports high powered spotlights and the street lamps just happened to go out at the same time anyway. I mean, that can happen.

Yeah that was the first thing I thought of..

Another one.

Edited by Buzz_Light_Year
  • Like 2

A transformer explosion would have been easy to confirm and not lead on to further speculation

• Like 1

looks like a thunderstorm spectacle to me . saw something like this when i was kid in an eastern european country

(After some research) Russia is up to all sorts of hijinx just now they are runing various "training" missions from both East and West,

many reports of Russian aircraft and submersibles where they shouldn't be all over the globe,

This flash was most certainly a type of high altitude flare test! The russians have used this method to detect stealth aircraft for years

just be happy you don't live in a country that borders with Russia, they keep violating our airspace and deny everything, honestly if i would have a sniper rifle i might just visit Russia and make Putin go ka-put (you know if it was a unregistered gun) as what they are doing closely resembles tactical surveillance like that what you would do if you would be preping for a large scale invasion

just be happy you don't live in a country that borders with Russia, they keep violating our airspace and deny everything, honestly if i would have a sniper rifle i might just visit Russia and make Putin go ka-put (you know if it was a unregistered gun) as what they are doing closely resembles tactical surveillance like that what you would do if you would be preping for a large scale invasion

The cold war never ended,

Putin is most definitely testing how far he can go,

whether its just a show of force and ability or its a rehearsal for something more sinister i dont know!

why does Russia get all the fun stuff? they got the meteor that exploded overhead, the one back in the 1900s that knocked over those trees and this. and Russia always gets footage or evidence of these occurrences. the article said that street lights were also knocked out. (couldn't say how they assume it was because of the flashes).

but honestly, we get bad videos of little silver things people claim as ufos and Russia gets powerful space activity. well, I guess, they can have the activity. wouldn't want an asteroid landing to close to home.

why does Russia get all the fun stuff? they got the meteor that exploded overhead, the one back in the 1900s that knocked over those trees and this. and Russia always gets footage or evidence of these occurrences. the article said that street lights were also knocked out. (couldn't say how they assume it was because of the flashes).

but honestly, we get bad videos of little silver things people claim as ufos and Russia gets powerful space activity. well, I guess, they can have the activity. wouldn't want an asteroid landing to close to home.

Other countries have just as much going on in the skys, but the Russian drivers all got their licences from cereal packets so for insurance purposes the vast majority of vehicles have dash cams to settle court cases, that and Russia is the largest country in the world therefore the odds of it happening there are far greater than say Ireland!

• Like 1

Yeah that was the first thing I thought of..

Another one.

Well, that's going to leave a mark!

• Like 1

*Laughing nervously* You're kidding, of course.

i hope Putin doesn't frequent UM. :ph34r:

Edited by Misanthropic

A transformer explosion would have been easy to confirm and not lead on to further speculation

Well on other side your flare theory never last couple of seconds...

Well on other side your flare theory never last couple of seconds...

its not a theory!

First thing I thought of was a transformer explosion. In 96 I witnessed a very similar flash on my way to work one Saturday morning while it was still dark and it looked a lot like the flash in Russia with white/blue light. Local news confirmed later in the day that indeed it was an exploding transformer.

Edited by StRoostifer

• 3 weeks later...

It's street lighting coming on, a new phenomena in Russia. You will have to give them time to get used to it.