Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

One nation under Allah... ?

Ogbin

Quote: "Students at Pine Bush High School in Pine Bush, New York, knew right away there was something not quite right about the Pledge of Allegiance. That’s because the pledge was being recited in Arabic.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/20/one-nation-under-allah-fury-after-school-recites-pledge-in-arabic/

Any thoughts?

It looks like the pledge was all English, other than the Allah part. Otherwise how would any of the English speaking kids know it was a) the pledge and B) Allah?

It looks like the pledge was all English, other than the Allah part. Otherwise how would any of the English speaking kids know it was a) the pledge and B) Allah?

Students at Pine Bush High School in Pine Bush, New York, knew right away there was something not quite right about the Pledge of Allegiance. That’s because the pledge was being recited in Arabic.

Thats the first paragraph of the story, so no it wasnt all english

Why did they only kick up a stink when in arabic?

"coz this is Murica, and in Murica we speek Murican!"

• Like 3

National foreign language week. No big deal. Arabic, Spanish, Russian..who cares?

• Like 3

"coz this is Murica, and in Murica we speek Murican!"

Some of these students were children in families who had loved ones fighting and or dying in a war where the enemy uses that language. It'd be like saying the pledge of ALLEGIANCE to America in Japanese or German during WWII. It's not just disrespectful it's outright provocative - which was the intent. I'm certainly not surprised it happened in NY. Try it in OZ and tells us how it all falls out, eh?

National foreign language week. No big deal. Arabic, Spanish, Russian..who cares?

The student who caused it did it to be provocative - he admitted as much: Andrew Zink, the student body president, defended what he did and said he would do it all over again – telling TWC News he “knew exactly what would happen”

Arabic isn't even a language offered at the school. Frankly I'm encouraged by the reaction of the students.

Some of these students were children in families who had loved ones fighting and or dying in a war where the enemy uses that language. It'd be like saying the pledge of ALLEGIANCE to America in Japanese or German during WWII. It's not just disrespectful it's outright provocative - which was the intent. I'm certainly not surprised it happened in NY. Try it in OZ and tells us how it all falls out, eh?

What language? Dari and Pashto are the most widely spoken in the area we are fighting.

But no, god forbid our children hear a language from the "evil" middle east in school.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 4

What language? Dari and Pashto are the most widely spoken in the area we are fighting.

But no, god forbid our children hear a language from the "evil" middle east in school.

I'm sure the student who attempted to get the reaction didn't know that any more than most here. He wanted to cause a row and he got it. And if you do not think that those we are fighting in that area are evil then good for you. Some of us disagree. And we reserve the right to be p***ed when our traditions are mocked. And eventually don't be surprised if we do a little instigating ourselves. A LOT of Americans in "flyover country" are well and truly fed UP with the agendas of the left.
  • Like 1

Right?!?! I heard that after the Civil War, sign language was primarily used in 87% of American households. They just couldn't stand to hear the language of their enemies.

• Like 7

I'm sure the student who attempted to get the reaction didn't know that any more than most here. He wanted to cause a row and he got it.

And I'm sure he didn't do this to cause a row, but to make "an effort to celebrate the many races, cultures and religions that make up this great country.” The proof is in the fact that the pledge had been recited in other languages throughout the week.

And if you do not think that those we are fighting in that area are evil then good for you. Some of us disagree.

I don't believe that people who speak Arabic are evil nor do I believe that the people of the middle east are evil. But then I don't have a blind hatred towards these people. The middle east is home to millions of people who are peaceful who just happen to speak Arabic.

And we reserve the right to be p***ed when our traditions are mocked.

Nothing is being mocked, but I'm not surprised that you think it is.

And eventually don't be surprised if we do a little instigating ourselves. A LOT of Americans in "flyover country" are well and truly fed UP with the agendas of the left.

And a lot of people are sick of the blind bigotry and the agendas of the right. Because bigotry and ignorance are the only real reason people are offended by this one language out of many.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 6

WELL as we don't actually have a Pledge of Allegiance here in Oz, and most schools sing the national anthem ONCE a week ... we'd find it odd. We might go "OI! What's the point of that?" and then find something else to whinge about (we are world class whingers after all).

• Like 3

Well my understanding is the US doesn't have an official language.

So they can recite it anyway they want, as long as the meaning is the same.

• Like 3

Some of these students were children in families who had loved ones fighting and or dying in a war where the enemy uses that language. It'd be like saying the pledge of ALLEGIANCE to America in Japanese or German during WWII. It's not just disrespectful it's outright provocative - which was the ntent. I'm certainly not surprised it happened in NY. Try it in OZ and tells us how it all falls out, eh?

People need to understand that another country is not an enemy, nor is thier language, culture or people. People are people, some people have different languages. War is caused by not respecting each other, fearing each other or the attempt to rob each other. It is not the common peoples fault but the rulers and America is as big of an offender as anybody. If we are are offended by the language of promoters of war and is reason not to recite the pledge of allegence in it than we shouldn't be saying it in "American" either.

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 6

Well my understanding is the US doesn't have an official language.

So they can recite it anyway they want, as long as the meaning is the same.

Therein lies the problem. Even though "under God" was not an original part of the Pledge, when it was added it referred to the Judeo-Christian God. Muslims themselves will tell you that the Judeo-Christian God and Allah are not identical. So to whom then are the children then pledging their country to?

• Like 1

Why did they only kick up a stink when in arabic?

Because it brings what is going on with ISIS too close to home that's why!

• Like 1

Therein lies the problem. Even though "under God" was not an original part of the Pledge, when it was added it referred to the Judeo-Christian God. Muslims themselves will tell you that the Judeo-Christian God and Allah are not identical. So to whom then are the children then pledging their country to?

Islam, Christianity, and Judaism all share the same God. Each are sister religions that share many similar stories.

• Like 4

Just more paranoia, seeing threats where none exist. Allah is just another name for "god" and not all muslims are our enemies. Personally, I don't think the reference belongs in the pledge in the first place but to each their own.

• Like 3

Muslims will tell you no such thing. Jews, Christians and Muslims all rely on the Old Testament where the term Allah is found. It's just a translation issue. They are all monotheists and believe in one "god".

• Like 5

Most Muslims I have spoken to say that they worship the same god as Abraham. Their beef with Christianity is that it is the worship of Christ- not God and thusly is idol worship in their eyes. So I guess it can be argued that it is the same god but also not the same god at the same time.

• Like 2

Because it brings what is going on with ISIS too close to home that's why!

Bigotry is formed by associating the all with a small sect of people. Arabic is a language shared by millions upon millions of people all across the globe. To have left this language out of thier multi-cultural demonstration because of fear of reaction would have been racist. We have Arabic speaking people in this country too (America), and some may even go to that school. (I didnt read the article, I know I'm bad. I should have read before responding BUT I AM speaking in context to what is written in these comments). :-)

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 4

Most Muslims I have spoken to say that they worship the same god as Abraham. Their beef with Christianity is that it is the worship of Christ- not God and thusly is idol worship in their eyes. So I guess it can be argued that it is the same god but also not the same god at the same time.

Hmm. Same Abrahamic God, just different names (Yahweh, God, Allah). I always thought that Judaism recognizes the old prophets but they (as well as Muslims) don't recocognize Jesus as the saviour. Islam recognizes Jesus as a prophet while neither Judaism or Christianity recognize Mohammed as a prophet?

As an agnostic, I find religion confusing, which is why I remain so.

Edit: Get your **** together, monotheism.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2