Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mosquitoes Heading For Warmer UK

Still Waters

Mosquitoes carrying potentially deadly diseases, such as dengue fever and West Nile virus, could become widespread across the UK in the next few decades, experts have said.

Writing in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal, scientists claim warmer temperatures and more rainfall - both outcomes of climate change - could provide ideal conditions in the UK for the unwelcome visitors, particularly southern England.

https://uk.news.yaho...851.html#shmFfp

Well, they won't stay long. It's bloody freezing here.

• Like 2

Considering mosquitos are the unofficial state bird of Alaska I doubt it's too cold in the UK for them.

Considering mosquitos are the unofficial state bird of Alaska I doubt it's too cold in the UK for them.

The rain will get them, then.

Actually this is a non story really. I used to live in Kent, and got badly bit by mossies. I went to my doctor, and he told me that the local council used to spray the marshes every year to keep them down. But money became tight so they stopped and the little sods returned en mass.

I moved. It was the only answer.

Damn these immigrants! Though for once calling them unclean spreaders of pestilence is accurate... :whistle:

Mark you, up here we've got midges. Just as annoying, so if the midges met any mosquitoes, there would be a bit of a fight!

• Like 1

The rain will get them, then.

:lol: Yeah, they hate to breed in those little pools of stagnant water lying around everywhere.

Just wait until the Giants arrive. They'll put their ice pick in you and leave a welt the size the Queen's hat.

Well, as the "warmer temperatures and inreased rainfall" are all computer predictions using unproven modelling software, then the resulting mosquitous will be virtual insects that only effect the little creatures inside World of Warcraft and RuneScape.

One of us should warn them.

Edited by RoofGardener