Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Necronomicon Myths

Strong Flower

The Necronomicon Book (particularly the one by Simon) will be another interesting book I will soon add in my collection.

I have read various information on HP Lovecraft mythos regarding his original book. Here's a fascinating short interview on the nature of the Necronomicon, although my own opinions differ greatly from the man in the video about the authenticity of the mythos.

Please share some Intel and feedback about the video :geek:

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=wYED5woJkMU

It's a made up book with a made up author.

I did like it's appearance in Army of Darkness movies though. Klaatu, Barada, Nikto.....

• Like 7

The book was fabricated by Lovecraft. the "simon" necronomicon is just a cheap attempt to cash inn on the name and is about as interesting as watching paint dry. And not that fancy glossy stuff. Just plain old regular paint.

• Like 4

The Necronomicon is entirely fictional as is the author, Abdul Alhazred. They were always stated to be fictional by Lovecraft.

If you are going to delve more into the Mythos fiction, you probably be told that other 'evil book' titles are also fictional.

• The De Vermis Mysteriis or the Mysteries of the Worm by Ludwigg Prinn was invented by Robert Bloch.
  • The Book of Eibon or Liber Ivonis or Livre d'Eibon by Eibon was invented by Clark Ashton Smith.
  • The Unaussprechlichen Kulten by Friedrich von Junzt was invented by Robert E. Howard.

Plus several other fictional books mentioned by weird fiction authors, that if desired, I can list.

• Like 3

It doesn't matter that it's fiction. The mythos is powerful...and fun.

• Like 5

I have always liked the line 'If knowing the unknowable is crazy, I don't want to be sane." from that video.

• Like 1

Fact: the Necromonicon is real

Fact: France is made of semi-aquatic mice all named Gerald

Fact: The moon is a large square block of living ice that appears to be a circle because the human mind can not comprehend how awesome it really is

Fact: My cat is an agent of a powerful NGO and has been funneling arms and munitions to the contra mapplists in the oaky woods of Baptistia UltraMexico

Fact: My blood is composed entirely of liquified coffee grounds mixed with nanorobots that are riveted together with flowing lightening

Fact: Not everything you read is real. Unless it is about Gnomes, because those dudes are real, and a very real legal problem for me.

• Like 7

A while back I did some extensive research on the Cthulhu mythos. It actually has great parallels with the pre-dynastic Egyptian deity Sutekh and later Ausar/Osiris. That's from a metaphysical approach.

Edited by Khamical X
  • Like 1

A while back I did some extensive research on the Cthulhu mythos. It actually has great parallels with the pre-dynastic Egyptian deity Sutekh and later Ausar/Osiris. That's from a metaphysical approach.

What research have you done? What sources? Have you read any of Lovecraft's or other similar authors works?

I've heard that supposedly the idea of the Necronomicon is from the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

and a student smuggled a card for it into the Yale University Library's card catalog.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necronomicon

LOL! The librarians probably had fits when that they found there was a card for it.

• Like 1

Fact: the Necromonicon is real

Fact: France is made of semi-aquatic mice all named Gerald

Fact: The moon is a large square block of living ice that appears to be a circle because the human mind can not comprehend how awesome it really is

Fact: My cat is an agent of a powerful NGO and has been funneling arms and munitions to the contra mapplists in the oaky woods of Baptistia UltraMexico

Fact: My blood is composed entirely of liquified coffee grounds mixed with nanorobots that are riveted together with flowing lightening

Fact: Not everything you read is real. Unless it is about Gnomes, because those dudes are real, and a very real legal problem for me.

That thing about your blood being liquefied coffee grounds does have a ring of truth to it.

Source, proof, links please.

Oh, you realize that Cthulhu is a fictional entity, right? That and the necronomicon. Any resemblances to actual historical mythologies is either accidental or intentional. Or both, I guess.

Now, time to make a sanity test.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

Source, proof, links please.

Oh, you realize that Cthulhu is a fictional entity, right? That and the necronomicon. Any resemblances to actual historical mythologies is either accidental or intentional. Or both, I guess.

Now, time to make a sanity test.

How do we know that gods are not fictional entities? Someone made them all up at some point, and wrote religious texts. They didn't fall from the sky.

If you're gonna have an invisible friend, why not make it awesome?

• Like 2

How do we know that gods are not fictional entities? Someone made them all up at some point, and wrote religious texts. They didn't fall from the sky.

If you're gonna have an invisible friend, why not make it awesome?

???

They were created by Lovecraft. They are fictional. And they are indeed awesome.

Posts like this make me want to activate my cloaking device and disappear.

Poof!

I caught by accident , a doco on Lovecraft - fascinating. His upbringing and experiences are interesting in light of his 'mythos'.

He had 'intrusions' from the deepest parts of the unconscious. That surfaced, as well as his own 'programming context', amidst an overall paradigm shift bought about by some of the discoveries of the current 'sciences' (astrophysics, psychology, etc. ) in society , hence the popularity with some.

[ I read a great book that correlated some of these changes and shifts in social paradigms ( religion, cosmology, 'mythos' fiction, etc. ) with new discoveries in science ... wish I could remember the title and author for reference, but I cant.

In any case .... its 'in there' (pop culture) now :)

Edited by back to earth

???

They were created by Lovecraft. They are fictional. And they are indeed awesome.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter that they are fictional. Why does everyone assume no one knows Lovecraft is fiction? Lol.

Gods are likely fictional, as well. We just can't always pin down the first person ever to write down their lore. That doesn't stop people from investing lifetimes of belief into them. They could all exist as thoughtforms, just as Cthulhu, Slender Man, shadow people, and anything else you can think up could. Giant astral spiders, for instance. So pick your poison and have fun.

Pleasant dreams.

• Like 2

The glossy covered Necronomicon I got from a bookstore in the 90s, with a red sigil on it, the Simon one I guess (?), was neat to read but there was certainly nothing mindblowing in it. Lots of gates and keys and names and a few rituals and spells that would only have needed some dice notations and spell point values to have made a great resource for D&D. If there is any legitimacy or a Necronomicon with SIGNIFICANT text in it, it's definitely not the one I had. The only powers these books have, including one the college library kept buying, as well as mine, is that they disappear.

The glossy covered Necronomicon I got from a bookstore in the 90s, with a red sigil on it, the Simon one I guess (?), was neat to read but there was certainly nothing mindblowing in it. Lots of gates and keys and names and a few rituals and spells that would only have needed some dice notations and spell point values to have made a great resource for D&D. If there is any legitimacy or a Necronomicon with SIGNIFICANT text in it, it's definitely not the one I had. The only powers these books have, including one the college library kept buying, as well as mine, is that they disappear.

Lovecraft's fiction does reach people on a deep psychological level. That's why it has stood the test of time, has such a cult following, and is part of pop culture today. There is a sort of magic that is created by really really awesome fiction.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter that they are fictional. Why does everyone assume no one knows Lovecraft is fiction? Lol.

Gods are likely fictional, as well. We just can't always pin down the first person ever to write down their lore. That doesn't stop people from investing lifetimes of belief into them. They could all exist as thoughtforms, just as Cthulhu, Slender Man, shadow people, and anything else you can think up could. Giant astral spiders, for instance. So pick your poison and have fun.

Pleasant dreams.

I don't think we're in disagreement here...so what are you trying to point out to me specifically?

I don't think we're in disagreement here...so what are you trying to point out to me specifically?

Reading between the lines, she probably means that a Chaos Magician might use the Cthullu mythos regardless of if it's 'real' or 'unreal' since it has a powerful imprint on the mind anyway. In Chaos Magic, belief is a tool.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Chaos_magic

Edited by samus
  • Like 1

The Necronomicon Book (particularly the one by Simon) will be another interesting book I will soon add in my collection.

I have read various information on H.P Lovecraft mythos regarding his original book. Here's a fascinating short interview on the nature of the Necronomicon, although my own opinions differ greatly from the man in the video about the authenticity of the mythos.

Even in occult circles, the Simon Necronomicon is considered a forgery. Most people seem to think that it's author is Peter Lavanda.

Lovecraft himself admitted that he was a lucid dreamer. Dagon, The Outsider and the Call of Cthullu for exemple are greatly inspired by strange dreams he had. That lead some people to believe that Lovecraft was probably an astral traveler, that his 'work of fiction', is actually filled with occult truths.

OP, you might want to read The World Of H.P Lovecraft: His Life, His Demons, His Universe by Donald Tyson.

Link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8507285-the-dream-world-of-h-p-lovecraft

Edited by samus
  • Like 3

H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg

... you kinda just know that mouth is about to spew out a bunch a tentacles

• Like 1