Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA plans to give the moon its own moon

UM-Bot

Robotic grapples will be used to place a boulder from a large asteroid in to orbit around the moon.

NASA had been previously planning to snag an entire asteroid and bring it in to near-Earth orbit, but now it appears that this idea has been scrapped in favor of retrieving only a small piece of one and then placing it in to orbit around the moon instead.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...on-its-own-moon

• Like 1

It is the first leg in developing space. You need material to build stuff in space. Blasting material on a rocket from earth isn't very practical. If you can mine an asteroid, then you save big time on shipping from earth.

• Like 1

I'd say this were an interesting experiment, but considering the RIDICULOUS COST to drop a large rock beside the moon, I think they should scrap it until they are able to do it at a more affordable price. I mean come on.

• Like 2

Wow. They can do all that (mission planning, building, launch, etc.) for 0.3 percent of the federal budget? Not bad at all.

Try to think a little bigger than scratching around on the Earth, guys.

• Like 2

Wouldn't this **** up the Earths ecosystems though by placing a Satellite big enough to mine off of?

Wouldn't this **** up the Earths ecosystems though by placing a Satellite big enough to mine off of?

Hardly, the gravitation would be minuscule compared to Earth's.

• Like 1

Is nasa struggling for ideas just now?

It was a plane with propellers last week.....now there gona give the moon a moon!

You would think we had cured world hunger and all fatal disease the way they are spending on such futile projects!

• Like 3

That is great. Should be a good exercise for the NASA scientists to take an object for a distance then let it orbit the moon.

WHY? Seriously why do this? What effect is this going to have on the earth? Tides, etc? Is anyone else just a little bit nervous that perhaps having a large asteroid near the earth is inherently dangerous? I may be totally off base here, but I really don't like this idea! When people try to control nature, bad unexpected things can happen.

Edited by KariW

I may be totally off base here

You are. A boulder sized object will have zero effect on the tides.

It seems like most of the posters didn't even read the article, which seems to be quite normal.

Oh, and HOW DARE NASA spend money to further our understanding of our place in the universe and ways in which we can explore it! Can you believe their nerve????!!!!

• Like 3

For reals. Add to that, I'm pretty sure that several people in the near-Earth asteroid thread were complaining that NASA couldn't stop an asteroid.

How do you think they practice that. Geez.

• Like 1

extremely stupid. Earth will likely capture it and there will be a disaster... wtf?

. Earth will likely capture it and there will be a disaster... wtf?

Actually I wasn't as worried at first until after I read the article. So they want to bring an asteroid to orbit the moon and practice budging it from its trajectory and seeing if it still hits or not. Well I really hope thier planetary defense techniques prove successful. Why is it a UK site is conveying nasa's plans though is that usually how they announce missions? That's a serious question because I'm not sure.

• Like 1

distance-to-moon-with-planets1.jpg

Huh. ...only by tilting Saturn... :)

• Like 1

Is nasa struggling for ideas just now?

It was a plane with propellers last week.....now there gona give the moon a moon!

You would think we had cured world hunger and all fatal disease the way they are spending on such futile projects!

Hahaha I know. Is Dr Evil running that program over there at NASA?

• Like 2

May I suggest you divert the money you have spent on your clearly non-essential personal computing device and its connection to the Interwebz to curing hunger and all fatal diseases. And that money you spend on entertainment, luxury foods, your car...

You already spend some money on hunger and diseases? So wait.. you .. prioritise? How on earth could that possibly work?

Hey, maybe the gubmint should do that too ......... oh .. wait....

:D

Well actually they are bringing more than one over so that they can pummel the Moon Base on the far side of the moon and then resume moon projects without getting scared away again...not to mention flattening all those structures laying about the place, gets in the way of fracking...

meanwhile...back at the ranch, another scheme will be in operation to down another Roswell interloper and we will all be looking the other way when that happens....

• Like 2

you .. prioritise? How on earth could that possibly work?

Hey, maybe the gubmint should do that too ......... oh .. wait....

:D

I doubt anyone in our Govt. could even SPELL prioritise Chrlzs.....

I doubt anyone in our Govt. could even SPELL prioritise Chrlzs.....

Well, not in the way you want, anyway... :D

Hey don't get me wrong, my point is that surely ALL government funding other than that for absolute life essentials, should go to hunger and disease control.

Unless you agree that prioritising is a more sensible approach. You can argue all day how important the things that *you* love are and how they are ignored.. but that isn't really the point..

• Like 1