Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Radio Burst Messages Aliens?

Okay this is from the Daily Mail so it might not be a very credible source but I still thought it was worth a share. What do you all think?

Are these mystery radio bursts messages from ALIENS? Study finds freak frequencies from outside the Milky Way ALL form unexplained multiples of 187.5

• Like 2

Mystery Radio Burst Messages Aliens?

One word: NO!

• Like 1

Okay this is from the Daily Mail so it might not be a very credible source but I still thought it was worth a share. What do you all think?

Do bear in mind what day it is today!

• Like 1

Do bear in mind what day it is today!

Nope, the story is straight up, it was in the astronomy section before

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259274&hl=%2Bfast+%2Bradio+%2Bbursts

• Like 2

This was proven to Be a Real message,It was posted quite a while ago ! Believe in what turns your crank !

The Truth is out there ! posted this day of April,1st 2015

The Daily Mail article links to the source article in New Scientist (31st March 2015). There is an interesting quote:

"It is also plausible that the telescopes are picking up evidence of human technology, like an unmapped spy satellite masquerading as signals from deep space".

Of course, it might be an alien satellite.

• Like 1

I think the article is interesting because, regardless as to what is causing the sound, it is being created and we don't know how or why. If it's a new kinf of pulsar, great. If it is from an alien civilisation, also great. Either way, we're going to learn something, and it's going to be cool.

• Like 5

- Thread cleaned -

Yes this is indeed a genuine story, it isn't an April Fool and it's published in multiple, reputable online sources.

• Like 6

Could someone more knowledgeable than I explain in layman's terms what a dispersion measurement is and why multiples of that measurement having a correlation of 187.5 might be significant? Is it coincidence or is it something inherent in the source of the FRB? Does it have anything to do with attenuation? Honest questions by the way, radio signals aren't my strong point and certainly not on a cosmic scale.

• Like 5

I think the article is interesting because, regardless as to what is causing the sound, it is being created and we don't know how or why. If it's a new kinf of pulsar, great. If it is from an alien civilisation, also great. Either way, we're going to learn something, and it's going to be cool.

Always remember: "How to Serve Man" was a cook book! :whistle:

• Like 2

Interesting, but if its from outside the galaxy, then probably whatever is making the signals is way beyond what we can contact back.

Maybe it is one of those Dyson Spheres using their huge amount of collected energy to broadcast a signal powerful enough to be heard everywhere in the galaxy.

Micronaughts maybe..buzzing around trying to see if there is an intelligence out here that responds to radio waves...sound a bit too familiar though...heh...

Given enough time, I think our boffins will sort it, they've managed too in past radio wave bursts...

Sounds pretty darn hopeful so far:

They claim there is a 5 in 10,000 probability that the line-up is coincidence. "If the pattern is real," says Learned, "it is very, very hard to explain."

I have to say, it is the most interesting possible I have seen, other than the WOW! signal. If it is regular, it would be the most interesting possible I have ever seen.

I hope we hear more on this.

• Like 3

and it isn't the first one but fourth if we're about to consider the Wow signal.

Edited by qxcontinuum

and it isn't the first one but fourth if we're about to consider the Wow signal.

That is why I said "if it is regular".

If we keep seeing this, we have a much better chance to analyse it than the WOW! signal, and pinpoint the source.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

they do know that 5 in 10 000 is 1 in 2 000 which are awesome odes, and considering that we launch random things in to space so why cant aliens do the same, beside those numbers are also awesome if you would have that good odes at wining the lottery you would have done it once in 10 years

Edited by mynameisachu

Micronaughts maybe..buzzing around trying to see if there is an intelligence out here that responds to radio waves...sound a bit too familiar though...heh...

Given enough time, I think our boffins will sort it, they've managed too in past radio wave bursts...

There is still no proper explanation for what the Wow! signal was.

• Like 4

Absolutely amazing news this is imo, really look forward to further updates.

• Like 1

No, I would consider it the "best possible" evidence for alien life. Not absolute by any means. It is darn interesting though.

No, I would consider it the "best possible" evidence for alien life. Not absolute by any means. It is darn interesting though.

It certainly is intriguing. In the 1950's scientists suggested that the "ideal" wavelength for aliens to communicate on would be the 21 cm hydrogen line. Then what do you know, the 1977 Wow! signal comes in on 21 cm! It is such a pity there was no actual recording made. Here is a bit of a conspiracy theory - why would a long term experiment specifically set up to detect alien transmissions not actually make recordings? Seems a bit pointless to me (and before anyone repeats the usual explanation that there weren't the resources to make lengthy recordings, how come just about everything Richard Nixon ever uttered whilst he was president was recorded!)

It certainly is intriguing. In the 1950's scientists suggested that the "ideal" wavelength for aliens to communicate on would be the 21 cm hydrogen line. Then what do you know, the 1977 Wow! signal comes in on 21 cm! It is such a pity there was no actual recording made. Here is a bit of a conspiracy theory - why would a long term experiment specifically set up to detect alien transmissions not actually make recordings? Seems a bit pointless to me (and before anyone repeats the usual explanation that there weren't the resources to make lengthy recordings, how come just about everything Richard Nixon ever uttered whilst he was president was recorded!)

very interesting point Derek!

• Like 1

Here is a bit of a conspiracy theory - why would a long term experiment specifically

set up to detect alien transmissions not actually make recordings?

The question is, what kind of recording are you missing? As an EM 21cm pulse cannot be heard or be seen by humans, such signals always require a

kind of technical translation to be visible and/or audible for humans. In case of the WOW signal, the recording, and the technical translation as well, was

done on a print out, so there is at least a visual recording of the WOW signal:

Wow_signal_zps8dgwvwyl.jpg

The question is, what kind of recording are you missing? As an EM 21cm pulse cannot be heard or be seen by humans, such signals always require a

kind of technical translation to be visible and/or audible for humans. In case of the WOW signal, the recording, and the technical translation as well, was

done on a print out, so there is at least a visual recording of the WOW signal:

Wow_signal_zps8dgwvwyl.jpg

Yes, the document basically records the intensity and duration of the Wow! signal. But there is no indication if the 21 cm was in any way modulated (AM, FM) and hence included some sort of message. I am not saying it did, but a recording would have been helpful.

Time traveling T-Rexes in transforming time machines.

• Like 1