Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Net speed record smashed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 06:43 PM

Scientists have set a new internet speed record by transferring 6.7 gigabytes of data across 10,978 kilometres (6,800 miles), from Sunnyvale in the US to Amsterdam in Holland, in less than one minute.

Using a quantity of data equivalent to two feature-length DVD-quality movies, the transfer was accomplished at an average speed of more than 923 megabits per second, or more than 3,500 times faster than a typical home broadband connection.

Article Here

With technology like this around already, albeit in experimental phase, itís amazing how most of us are still relying on our 56k modems! dry.gif

To Broadband and beyond!!...cool.gif                                                    

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#2    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 07:09 PM

what they didnt say in that article is my computer holds the world net speed record for slowness  biggrin.gif                                                  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#3    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:12 PM

To Broadband and beyond!!..

oh yes let's hope that the telcom networks get their backsides into gear, to update all the exchanges........ I WANT BROADBAND NOW!!!!! unsure.gif  smile.gif                                                  

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#4    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,909 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:50 PM

DS, I thought my computer held that record, it has a fit if I have one page open on the net, or do something simple like have it switched on for any gret length of time.                                                  

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
ó David Gemmell

#5    dAz

dAz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Tommy @ Mar 14 2003, 06:43 PM)
To Broadband and beyond!!...cool.gif

mad.gif AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

and that's all i'll say on the matter.  laugh.gif

dAz                                                  

#6    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 14 March 2003 - 10:30 PM

Damn that's fast!!!!!!  I'd love to have Internet at that speed.

The fastest i got with my internet was 600Kb per second and i though that was fast?!

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#7    Bloated Corpse

Bloated Corpse

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 02:55 AM

The problem is that broadband installation is centered around the metropolatin areas simply because thats where business is. The rural areas won't recieve it untill the demand really outweighs the cost of installing it. Moving from the big city to somewhere that isn't considered yet for broadband was a devastating blow but I took it with my chin held high. I went from 800 mbps to a 56k modem and I get ticked when it's this dial connect diconnect and do it all over again dance. There is also another alternative which is more costly than regular broadband at 39.99 to 50 dollars a month, which is satellite service that runs a cool 70 bucks a month and is only subjected to your choice. Choice A is satellite down phone out, which is really slow and choice B is to use it both up and down which will transfer between 700mbps to 900mbps, but it is affected by the weather.                                                  

Wabi Sabi

Wabi-sabi is the quintessential Japanese aesthetic.

It is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete.
It is a beauty of things modest and humble.
It is a beauty of things unconventional.

#8    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 15 March 2003 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Bloated Corpse @ Mar 14 2003, 09:55 PM)
I get ticked when it's this dial connect diconnect and do it all over again dance.

BC,   I know just what you mean,
             my pc does that dance too!   laugh.gif                                                  

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users