Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The effects of radioactivity on Arachnids.

Dimwitted

So I was walking down a road on the outskirts of Alamogordo NM where they tested the A-Bomb one night & I see something crossing the road so I shined my flashlight at it & It was a vinegaroon the size of a cat, I'd heard stories of giant scorpions on White Sands but I was kinda doubtful at first.

Edited by Dimwitted

Having just googled what a Vinagroon is I think they should resume nuclear testing until they kill them all!

Edited by George Ford
  • Like 2

Having just googled what a Vinagroon is I think they should resume nuclear testing until they kill them all!

Yeah there freaky & there everywhere.

I've seen this film .....

It's not a Camel Spider, it a very common Arachnid in the area or are you refering to radioactivity makeing them big as ****.

Had never heard of the term Vinegaroon before, but we use to call those things Whip tail scorpions. And yes, they can get quite large.

It's not a Camel Spider, it a very common Arachnid in the area or are you refering to radioactivity makeing them big as ****.

What's a camel spider?

I was referring to "THEM!" From the fifties.

• Like 2

These are by far the biggest arachnid related critter we have locally. Nasty looking but basically harmless, unless you get sprayed in the face I suppose or get a nasty pinch from the "claws." Have not seen one in years. Another local misunderstood animal like the Blue-tailed Skink which some people think are deadly.

• Like 1

Ever wonder why you don't have moths the size of eagles or ants a foot long? It has to do with the way arthropods breathe, at least in insects. The inefficient way they breathe means that they are good at miniaturization but not good in larger sizes since they cannot take in enough oxygen to distribute to their cells. This suggest that when 2 foot dragonflies roamed the skies the O2 level was considerably higher than it is presently. Not certain how the Vinegaroon breathes, but I would be very surprised one could get to the size of a cat, even a kitten.

I think giant radioactive arachnids went out with the movie "Tarantula," a horror classic.

p525_p_v7_aa.jpg

• Like 2

Ever wonder why you don't have moths the size of eagles or ants a foot long? It has to do with the way arthropods breathe, at least in insects. The inefficient way they breathe means that they are good at miniaturization but not good in larger sizes since they cannot take in enough oxygen to distribute to their cells. This suggest that when 2 foot dragonflies roamed the skies the O2 level was considerably higher than it is presently. Not certain how the Vinegaroon breathes, but I would be very surprised one could get to the size of a cat, even a kitten.

I think giant radioactive arachnids went out with the movie "Tarantula," a horror classic.

p525_p_v7_aa.jpg

Yeah, they'd like you to think that.

Until it turns out the scientists who told you about the breathing thing was actually thousands of spiders in a costume.

• Like 3

What's a camel spider?

I was referring to "THEM!" From the fifties.

Ohhh I see, Horrible movie.

p525_p_v7_aa.jpg

Man I was trying to get a pic of a Dobsonfly from Arkansas almost as long as my forearm but it's on my facebook & it just sat there trying to load for about three minutes & I got p***ed off & almost punched my monitor but it's a big one I'll try again later.

Edited by Dimwitted

Yeah, they'd like you to think that.

Until it turns out the scientists who told you about the breathing thing was actually thousands of spiders in a costume.

funny-pictures-4chan-auto-comics-474229_zpsn7zjmf6v.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not afraid of spiders because they might bite me. I'm afraid of spiders because they exist.

• Like 2

I'm not afraid of spiders because they might bite me. I'm afraid of spiders because they exist.

Oh hell!... You're supposed to be the rational one here.

Where's your proof that spiders exist and that they want to harm you?

Edited by Likely Guy

Ohhh I see, Horrible movie.

What?

WHAT!!

WWHHAATT!!!

Thanks for the visual. I'll just go into this corner and cry for a while now.

you know hay also likes corners?

SPIDERS that's what.

• Like 2

Only dark corners. And folds. They love folds. Like in jacket hoods and bedsheets.

And shoes.

And toilet seats.

Car engines.

Cloths lines.

Rubbish bins.....

• Like 1