Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge fish!

Dimwitted

I was fishing out of Swimming Lake it's very small but very very deep & I hooked one of the biggest fish I've ever had on my line & something waaay bigger and toothy

came up and bit the damn thing clean in half.

Here's a link to the lake on google map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/White+Earth,+MN/@47.1116137,-95.8372539,1281m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x52c86cda5dafb1d3:0xcf205f8f7b4ac06a

Big and tooth from MN area... Muskellunge?

• Like 1

Big and tooth from MN area... Muskellunge?

It would be a new world record if it was this looked more like a big sturgeon but sturgeon don't have teeth. When what ever it was took off after my Northern I saw the Northern then a flash of something as big as a canoe and more than half my fish was gone in an instant.

About how big is your canoe? It may be an introduced fish, like the snakehead problem some lakes and ponds had. I am not saying it's a snakehead.

About how big is your canoe? It may be an introduced fish, like the snakehead problem some lakes and ponds had. I am not saying it's a snakehead.

About 10 feet I guess, I wasn't in the canoe "Thank God" but the man that lives in the house by the lake has yet to find the bottom so no one knows how deep it really is so there's no telling what could be down there & it could very well be connected to many many other lake under ground.

I have a lot of questions, but I'm a very curious person. Feel free to ignore me.

How long did you see it?

Did you notice the color?

How long ago did this happen?

Are you 100% certain of it's size? (No offense, some people when surprised remember the sighting differently)

• Like 2

I have a lot of questions, but I'm a very curious person. Feel free to ignore me.

How long did you see it?

Did you notice the color?

How long ago did this happen?

Are you 100% certain of it's size? (No offense, some people when surprised remember the sighting differently)

literaly only a second.

All I could tell was that it didn't have any bright colors.

This last fall can't remember what month

If anything it would have been bigger than I thought.

• Like 1

O.k. thanks for the answers. About how far away was it from you?

O.k. thanks for the answers. About how far away was it from you?

I'd say 8 to 12 feet.

Thanks for answering, honestly, most people act like they are being attacked.

So, head to tooth ratio: Big teeth, little teeth, spiny, wide?

Seeing something that big from only 2.8-ish metres away would have been sketchy as hell. However, as a fisherman myself, I know that light does weird things to size perception when looking at things in water. So, if the think appeared to be 2.5-3 metres long, it was probably more like 1.8-2 metres long. I've caught salmon that look HUGE but turn out to be almost a half-metre shorter than they look. I can only imagine how much more pronounced the effect would be on something larger.

Thanks for answering, honestly, most people act like they are being attacked.

So, head to tooth ratio: Big teeth, little teeth, spiny, wide?

I couldn't really say.

But you are certain you saw teeth (aside from your other big fish getting halved)?

Seeing something that big from only 2.8-ish metres away would have been sketchy as hell. However, as a fisherman myself, I know that light does weird things to size perception when looking at things in water. So, if the think appeared to be 2.5-3 metres long, it was probably more like 1.8-2 metres long. I've caught salmon that look HUGE but turn out to be almost a half-metre shorter than they look. I can only imagine how much more pronounced the effect would be on something larger.

You have a good point, it could very well have been alot smaller so maybe RedSquirrel is right about it being a Muskellunge.

But you are certain you saw teeth (aside from your other big fish getting halved)?

I didn't see teeth just teeth marks

O.k. so it may be a muskie, here are links to a couple images, anything ring a bell?

http://www.davidherasimtschuk.com/data/photos/608_1r20141031_ca_klamathsalmon_dherasimtschuk_e96a5829_3.jpg <---Chinook salmon

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/files/2012/05/GAFP_1206_P431_WI_1.jpg <---- Muskie

& last nights episode of River Monsters he determined his monster could very well have been more than one Muskellunge mabye two were chasing my fish & that's why it looked so big.

Strong possibility. Though, with a lake that large (I totally took a look at it via streetview, gorgeous lake!), who knows how big an introduced fish could get? I remember spotting a large fish once (it should not have been there) and wishing I had brought my camera.

Strong possibility. Though, with a lake that large (I totally took a look at it via streetview, gorgeous lake!), who knows how big an introduced fish could get? I remember spotting a large fish once (it should not have been there) and wishing I had brought my camera.

The pond behind my house is supposed to only be a leech pond but last time I was down there I saw a pretty good sized something jump out of the water. I'll queue that one up.

Now, don't take my guesses for fact, I have no way of really knowing what you saw last fall, for a second! I'm just interested in nature and I love a good detective game.

Could be either or both. I'm not local, so I don't know much. You can check with your local fish and games, they may be able to sort that out.

Could be either or both. I'm not local, so I don't know much. You can check with your local fish and games, they may be able to sort that out.

People do all kinds of things behind The DNR's back, nobody follows the rules here.

But The DNR are the morons who decided to dynamite a 50 year old beaver dam which canged the PH or something in the water & killed all the fish in a bunch of lakes.

Edited by Dimwitted
  • Like 2

That is sad, I mean... I'm all for liberties and such, but introducing species can end very poorly for the local flora and fauna.

You think some one tried to stock the pond or there's actually fish in there

https://www.google.c...22b3a065f4592dd

Looks deep from the air but I don't know how deep it really is.

That looks like an old sinkhole, so it could be quite deep. Has anybody ever dived it?

• Like 1