Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists make hydrogen fuel from corn

UM-Bot

The breakthrough method could pave the way for environmentally friendly hydrogen-powered vehicles.

A team of scientists at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute have developed a way to turn abundantly available corn husks, stalks and cobs in to hydrogen fuel which has up until now required a costly and complex manufacturing process to produce.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/280134/scientists-make-hydrogen-fuel-from-corn

• Like 1

Interesting! And they make it from the cobs and the leftover bits? Even better! I wonder if there has been any emissions testing?

Corn: the cash crop of the future

It's been the cash crop of the present for a long time. After switching from sugar to corn syrup, the incentives to grow corn increased exponentially...

• Like 2

It's been the cash crop of the present for a long time. After switching from sugar to corn syrup, the incentives to grow corn increased exponentially...

Very true. I had to cut out *corn syrup* from my diet though. It made me feel sluggish and weird. I still think this is a great use for corn though and I wonder if the emissions are okay and all that.

Sounds like the people here in Indiana are going to make way more of a profit, given corn is basically all they grow here. That and soybeans.

• Like 1

Break thru my ars, we been doin this fer years! We call it White Lightening, Mountain Dew, or just plain ole Shine. It does have some unwanted emissions called Poots and Toots, but we blame it on demed ole Tennessee barking spiders!

Edited by maximusnow
  • Like 2

The ethanol crap that's added to gasolene here in the U.S. I believe is made mainly from corn. The problem of all these corn products is, it means there's less eatable corn produced, and the corn that is produced for eating is more expensive.

Ethanol production for use in gasolene is just a big scam. The producers receive large tax breaks and make lots of profit from the gooey stuff that's called gasolene these days.. I'm lucky that nearby there's a gas station that sells only non-ethanol gas.

• Like 1

Break thru my ars, we been doin this fer years! We call it White Lightening, Mountain Dew, or just plain ole Shine. It does have some unwanted emissions called Poots and Toots, but we blame it on demed ole Tennessee barking spiders!

:w00t: I just burst out laughing. Had a taste of that once...I think it cleared out any sot of bacteria I might have had in my system. Just a few sips and I was 2-sheets to the wind. That's some strong stuff my friend. The kind I had was flavored with some apples if I remember correctly. I have a friend who lives in lower Virginia and was visiting so it was real down home legit stuff...like recipes and ways to make it passed down thru the family and all that. Too funny!
  • Like 1

The ethanol crap that's added to gasolene here in the U.S. I believe is made mainly from corn. The problem of all these corn products is, it means there's less eatable corn produced, and the corn that is produced for eating is more expensive.

Ethanol production for use in gasolene is just a big scam. The producers receive large tax breaks and make lots of profit from the gooey stuff that's called gasolene these days.. I'm lucky that nearby there's a gas station that sells only non-ethanol gas.

What using more corn will allow the farms to expand and hirer people that are physically able to do farm work. I'm sure there are many immigrants, documented or otherwise, out there that would jump at the opportunity that born in the USA people wouldn't do because it's beneath them. The work ethic in this country has deteriorated to a pale shadow of what made this country great. Yes, there were always people looking for a government hand-out, but the numbers just keep growing due to more people than available jobs and the lack of training in the jobs that are available or the "I'm too good for that" attitude. When my dad was laid off from the auto industry one time,he worked for Manpower on a per day basis doing whatever they had including raking leaves in City Park. He and I even delivered phone books to earn money. If you really want to work instead of getting a freebee, you can. IT just isn't pretty or glorious at times.

Scam or not, from your outlook, it's still cheaper than ethanol-free. So you're will to pay at least $1.00/gal more for ethanol-free gasoline? You must be rich or don't drive a lot or drive a scooter.

As for being better for the ecology, isn't the water vapor from the hydrogen cars bad as well?

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by paperdyer

and kingpins of petroleum and they lobbyists lovers don't want to hear about it!

Edited by qxcontinuum

Tying our energy dependence to our food source just feels like a problem waiting to happen.

• Like 1

:w00t: I just burst out laughing. Had a taste of that once...I think it cleared out any sot of bacteria I might have had in my system. Just a few sips and I was 2-sheets to the wind. That's some strong stuff my friend. The kind I had was flavored with some apples if I remember correctly. I have a friend who lives in lower Virginia and was visiting so it was real down home legit stuff...like recipes and ways to make it passed down thru the family and all that. Too funny!

That is called Apple pie, with a slice of green sour apple and a cinnamon stick, my favorite. If you want to experience a good taste of real moonshine, Midnight Moon apple pie moon shine is similar to the mountain wild brews. It is sold in most liquor stores. www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com

• Like 1

That is called Apple pie, with a slice of green sour apple and a cinnamon stick, my favorite. If you want to experience a good taste of real moonshine, Midnight Moon apple pie moon shine is similar to the mountain wild brews. It is sold in most liquor stores. www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com

That's EXACTLY what it was with a cinnamon stick and everything! It was good stuff and had a way of sneaking up on you that I never knew was possible. I'm not a big drinker anyways...never have been...man, that was a crazy weekend :P But yes, that's what it was :tu:

This is not a story about ethanol from corn, it is a story about hydrogen from corn.

Emissions from hydrogen = water.

Emissions from ethanol are much more complex but less toxic than from gasoline.

CO2 from ethanol is also found in your exhaled breath.

I am not a chemist so I can not speak to all the negatives of burning ethanol, but burning hydrogen is harmless.

Edited by Twin

..sounds expensive. We need to get serious about solar power.. and other inexhaustible forms of energy. We also need to get serious about the other side of energy , consumption and energy efficiency of our devices.

CO2 from ethanol is also found in your exhaled breath.

beer-icon.png

Some of us more than others :clap: