Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Genital Mutilation ‘On the Increase in Europe’

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46    Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

• A Fool's Paradise Is A Wise Man's Hell...

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(Tia @ Nov 28 2004, 11:59 AM)
I read an article on this a few years ago, it's a horrific crime.
The girls are often around 5 or 6.
No pain relief is used.
The blade is often dull and dirty.
Aunties, cousins etc will hold the child down while it is performed.
The wound is then sewed back up leaving a tiny opening only, often 'natural plants, thorns' are used for the stitching.
The girls legs are binded together so they must stay still while healing.
Infection and blood loss will kill some.
After all this trauma on the girls wedding night the old wound must be re-opened to allow sexual intercourse by the husband.  sad.gif

View Post

You said it Tia, I couldn't describe it earlier because it's very disturbing, I can't stand seeing somebody in pain....

"Art Vandelay", Marine Biologist, Architect, Importer/Exporter of Corn Chips and Owner of Latex Products Manufacturing Co. Vandelay Industries....at your service.

#47    Asterix

Asterix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

• By Belenos and Toutatis!

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Talon S. @ Nov 28 2004, 01:39 PM)
Assimationists are equal tolerant or foreigns and foreign culture, I personally speak 3 languages, and collect Japanese media and weapons, both cultural aspects of a foreign country. Plus, my father's grandmother is foreign.

View Post

Wow, 3 languages and Japanese media and weapons.. That certainly proves you must be the most tolerant person alive.  rolleyes.gif  Being interested in foreign cultures and accepting them in your ground is two different things. Respect and understanding towards the other culture should exceed the limits of the cultures you actually like. It's easy to like Japanese weapons and anime  rolleyes.gif  or like reading about the History of the Shogun. But true acceptance comes when you make an effort, at least, to tolerate the things you don't understand. This in no case means to accept crimes like FGM or any other form of violence. But, unfortunately, ppl often rush to generalize and include in their personal circle of unacceptance an entire religion, ethnos, or any group of people, small or big.

Edit:
Plus, my father's grandmother is foreign.

Just the fact that you consider a relative of yours to be foreign, underlines your viewpoint

Edited by Asterix, 28 November 2004 - 12:20 PM.

Posted Image
There are two kinds of idiots - those who don't take action because they have received a threat, and those who think they are taking action because they have issued a threat.
Paulo Coelho

#48    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:47 PM

Assimationists are equal tolerant or foreigns and foreign culture, I personally speak 3 languages, and collect Japanese media and weapons, both cultural aspects of a foreign country.

That proves nothing. Being interested in foreign cultures is not the same as accepting them.
Adolf Eichmann, for example, learned Hebrew and Yiddish, read the hebrew version of the OT, and visited British Palestine mandate. I hope there is not much doubt that he wasn't very accepting to the culture that he studied and knew rolleyes.gif tongue.gif.

On the other hand, I personally speak 4 languages (Hebrew, English, Arabic, Esperanto), and I'm very interested in ancient nations' history and culture (I'm collecting nations' mythologies).
I have respect to every nation I had a chance to learn about so far.
Yet I have been accused of being a bigot (unjustly, in my opinion) by some on this forum whistling2.gif.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#49    Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:55 PM

On the other hand, I personally speak 4 languages (Hebrew, English, Arabic, Esperanto)

Wow, you people make me feel so stupid............I can barely speak English at times....... laugh.gif  and that is my only language.......

"Art Vandelay", Marine Biologist, Architect, Importer/Exporter of Corn Chips and Owner of Latex Products Manufacturing Co. Vandelay Industries....at your service.

#50    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:59 PM

wots the point in speakin esperanto tho its useless lol

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#51    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 03:10 PM

Wun you barely just k learned what Esperanto is lol.

And it could be a solution to youre language problem in the EU (or keep paying billions for translators for 25 languages... I wonder how many Maltese->Lithuanian translators are there rolleyes.gif

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#52    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 28 November 2004 - 03:16 PM

uselss language that never took off lol ;-)

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#53    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:35 PM

Actually, it did, and it was even about to become the official language of the League of Nation, but the French vetoed that decision (thinking that french should be the langua franca of the League).
Then the Nazis persecuted and killed hundreds of thousands of espetantists in eastern Europe (thinking that "it is a Jewish language").
Then the USSR opposed it.
Now days it is quite popular, but not in the west. There are probably 10 million speakers in China, many more in south America (especially Brazil) and in eastern Europe.
The Vatican has an esperanto radio station, and so does Radio Warsaw and Radio Beijin.
There are tens of thousands of translated books and songs, and many other originals in the language.
If you want to know almost every culture on this earth, you can learn esperanto and read translated works from those cultures' languages, instead of learning thousands of different lang.
Also if enables you to travel freely around the world, paying only for the flying tickets.
So believe me, it is nothing but dead wink2.gif

Posted Image

#54    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:33 AM

*wonders why everyone is riding up Talon's backside for making a trivial comment (which was, by the way, true), when it was in fact CatAstrofix who made a big deal out of it huh.gif*

Anyway, Talon is correct...somewhere, there will be a bunch of uber-PC loonies, who will be claiming we have no right to be interfering in this, because "they're culture is just as valid as ours".

Yeah right...

Also, Talon never claimed to be the most tollerant person on the planet, or that his interest in Japanese pop culture made him so tongue.gif He was just pointing out CatAstrofix claim that...

You're trying to imply that if someone is tolerant towards foreign ppl and culture, they are also brutal and ignorant towards human suffering...

Is rubbish tongue.gif As he is quite friendly towards other cultures, and takes great pleasure in them, despite being assimilationist. He was not attempting to make any such blanket statement towards multiculturalism, which is the conclusion you guys seem to have jumped to huh.gif

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#55    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 29 November 2004 - 05:13 AM

*reads topic*

*eats a piece of chicken*

As far as I see it , the "Its their culture so bug out" excuse only works when they are not harming anybody by practicing it . This messed up crap crosses that line quite well . Some people have culture , others just need to grow up .

Posted Image

#56    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 05:05 PM

As far as I see it , the "Its their culture so bug out" excuse only works when they are not harming anybody by practicing it . This messed up crap crosses that line quite well . Some people have culture , others just need to grow up .

I totally agree with you, Xenojjin.

The same goes for freedom of speech, in my opinion.
People are of liberty to do and say whatever they want, as long as they do not harm other people with their words and actions.

Posted Image

#57    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 03 December 2004 - 09:37 PM

I agree with you, Asterix, when you wrote:
But true acceptance comes when you make an effort, at least, to tolerate the things you don't understand.
That was beautiful.

...and then Talon wrote:

...and I agreed with you when Talon made that statement_ and you retaliated with:
Just the fact that you consider a relative of yours to be foreign underlines your viewpoint.

Edited by Babs, 03 December 2004 - 09:38 PM.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#58    Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(Babs @ Dec 3 2004, 09:37 PM)
I agree with you, Asterix, when you wrote:
But true acceptance comes when you make an effort, at least, to tolerate the things you don't understand.
That was beautiful.

...and then Talon wrote:

...and I agreed with you when Talon made that statement_ and you retaliated with:
Just the fact that you consider a relative of yours to be foreign underlines your viewpoint.

View Post

I don't think that applies to MUTILATING SOMEBODYS F****** GENITALS, IT'S WRONG ON SOOO MANY LEVELS.  DAMN PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

Who in the HELL can TOLERATE this?  It's OUTRAGEOUS!

#59    Asterix

Asterix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

• By Belenos and Toutatis!

Posted 04 December 2004 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE(Art Vandelay @ Dec 3 2004, 11:41 PM)
I don't think that applies to MUTILATING SOMEBODYS F****** GENITALS, IT'S WRONG ON SOOO MANY LEVELS.  DAMN PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

Who in the HELL can TOLERATE this?  It's OUTRAGEOUS!

View Post

You misunderstood Art Vandelay..We were talking about multiculturalism in general, not FGM..

Posted Image
There are two kinds of idiots - those who don't take action because they have received a threat, and those who think they are taking action because they have issued a threat.
Paulo Coelho

#60    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:31 AM

pfft you people are intollerant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users