Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Technology progressing to live to 1000 years

Ozfactor

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/researchers-believe-a-biological-revolution-enabling-humans-to-experience-everlasting-youthfulness-is-coming/story-fnpjxnqt-1227304902553

IT is likely the first person who will live to be 1,000 years old is already alive today.

This is according to a growing regiment of researchers who believe a biological revolution enabling humans to experience everlasting youthfulness is just around the corner.

• Like 2

if this eventually becomes reality then we will have to ban people having children!

• Like 4

if this eventually becomes reality then we will have to ban people having children!

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do some of this already... starting with lawyers, politicians and celebrities that give their kids stupid names....

• Like 6

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do some of this already... starting with lawyers, politicians and celebrities that give their kids stupid names....

Agreed!

I see no benifit in living to 1000, i think life would become quite monotonous, 70-90 years is quite enough, the old have to make way for the new, its the cycle of nature

1000 years, well thats a big value. Of course the expectancy of (human) life has been increased from something around 20 up to around 78 or so

during the past and with a very small number of single maximum peaks up to 120 years. But the question is, for the 1k years hypothesis, at what

conditions will these individual be during this life span. It wouldn't be a problem if these 1k years are like an extent of an ange of 100y, means the

1K individual is at an age of 300y in the same conditions, physical and mental as well, as a 100y one at 30y. But also such commensurate extent

will cause problems, when the individuals (plural!) will reach an age of 600-800y and so are getting more and more affected by the negative aspects

of age like illness and so require the attention of (younger) supporters and require financial support as well. It may work if the majority, lets say 95%+,

of the population are 1K`ers, but it will not work if the percentage of 1K`ers is at 50% because our existing economical systems cannot handle such

volume of 1K`ers that are at an age of 600y+.

But I like the 1K idea. And if I would had the option to choose, I would click the immortal button, with the option to end my life by myself if wanted.

Edited by toast
  • Like 3

And if you think you don't identify with current music after 10-20 years out of high school imagine living to a thousand.

Mabon.

• Like 4

If we hypothesise that interstellar travel is the ultimate goal for survival of our species, then the extension of the duration of a single lifespan to such a degree is probably necessary for such travel to be made even remotely feasible.

• Like 1

Well there is life but there is also happiness and misery to consider. I've seen people grow old and loose the will to live as the ailments they suffer stack up year on year to the point that the burden of life is heavy enough to crush even the strongest spirit.

• Like 2

Yeah and who will benefit from longevity? Let me guess those who can afford the procedures to remain youthful. Politicians, Corporate heads, the insanely rich. So basically those that already control the world would live longer to exert more control.

Not a good idea at all.

• Like 3

If we hypothesise that interstellar travel is the ultimate goal for survival of our species, then the extension of the duration of a single lifespan to such

a degree is probably necessary for such travel to be made even remotely feasible.

Well, 80 or 1000y, that would not make a difference. And, some hundred years with the same ppl in a space craft? Horror!

Carpenders movie Dark Star comes into mind here.

Transhumanism has always been an obsession for me.

This is very interesting news; it is something I've always dreamed about and now it may become reality.

Just as Ray Kurzweil said, "Live Long Enough To Live Forever".

the one benifit of the life cycle we have is change!

nothing is permanent, with the rise and fall of each generation come fresh minds with new ideas, where ambition dwindles over time there is always new energy rising.

Evolution dictates that the old make way for the young, that is the way a species can continue. with each new generation, small changes can occur so that offspring have a greater chance to adapt to thier environment,

I have to quote Dr Malcolm from jurassic park

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should"

Edited by Father Merrin
  • Like 2

Wait a minute you lot. Yoda is 900 in Star Wars!!!

No seriously though, it's NOT the the age it's the speed of deterioration that needs to stop. If the same level of deterioration keeps up you'd look like a bag of dust at 250!!

Edited by Rhino666

Yeah and who will benefit from longevity? Let me guess those who can afford the procedures to remain youthful. Politicians, Corporate heads, the insanely rich. So basically those that already control the world would live longer to exert more control.

Not a good idea at all.

Pretty much. If something like this does become reality it should be an "all or nothing" procedure where either the entire population of a country is treated as a standard "right" or no one is.

• Like 1

Not a good idea at all.

Agreed. This scares the heck out of me. If it's not available universally it will completely change what it means to be human, overnight.

• Like 2

!000 years? if they can stop the development of Alzheimer and dementia in the later years ..currently under the age of 100, and doctor the body to adjust to the growing increase of GM foods, then its possible..one day, but I feel the "freak" show will make its appearance before its perfected (if ever)

We are constantly evolving, so how do they by pass that?

• Like 2

Not a good idea at all.

I think they will start with the baby in the womb, I would not be surprised if they are doing the experiments now, there are many doctor Frankenstein s out there, only today they get to work in labs and are funded by the elite. They are given scientist statuses which include "credible" in the titles, as opposed to the old time "mad".

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

Well, 80 or 1000y, that would not make a difference. And, some hundred years with the same ppl in a space craft? Horror!

Carpenders movie Dark Star comes into mind here.

With respect, toast, your imagining of such a scenario comes from a person with a lifespan probably far less than 1000 years. With the increase in duration of lifespan will come a change in certain values and attitudes as people adapt socially. We, with our current lifespan might consider spending hundreds of years with the same people as unthinkably horrible. To a person with a lifespan of 1000 years it might just be a matter-of-course.

Then I am sure within 1000 years we would have figured out how to transfer our consciousness to an artificial one. So really this will lead to immortality, I believe.

Let's think of how horrible this would actually be. The world is already overpopulated and millions starve. So the rich would end up living for a thousand years living as kings. The rest of us will fight and kill each other for what little resources would be leftover.

Don't think that would happen? Look at how the rich act now. Take that POS Bloomberg for example. He'll walk around with armed bodygaurds to protect him, yet wants to strip every American of their rights to defend themselves.

• Like 2

I would imagine that if people had 1000 year lifetimes then suicide would become the leading cause of death. I wouldn't even be surprised if it became socially acceptable to plan a suicide date.

• Like 2

Let's think of how horrible this would actually be. The world is already overpopulated and millions starve. So the rich would end up living for a thousand years living as kings. The rest of us will fight and kill each other for what little resources would be leftover.

Don't think that would happen? Look at how the rich act now. Take that POS Bloomberg for example. He'll walk around with armed bodygaurds to protect him, yet wants to strip every American of their rights to defend themselves.

You are absolutely correct. Bloomberg is a big POS. When he was mayor there were more homeless on the streets of NYC than I had ever seen before. Unfortunately, the POS DeBlassio hasn't helped them either.

The richest city in the world and we have homeless on the streets begging and our abandoned animals are killed daily in a S#%$hole they call an animal shelter. More like a slaughter house.

:td:

nice

if I retire at 65, does that mean I get to collect social security for 935 years?

BEST - Ron

I doubt it, more like the government will make it so you have to work til you are 935 years before you can collect your pension, and I bet they will lose most of that along the way...like they do!

• Like 1