Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Devastating volcano could erupt this century

UM-Bot

Scientists have warned that a volcanic eruption could cause widespread disaster in the near future.

It's easy to think of a devastating volcanic eruption as something that has only ever happened in the distant past, but just 200 years ago in 1815 the eruption of Mount Tambora, a volcano in Indonesia, plunged much of Europe in to a year of bitter cold and darkness that came to be known as the "Year Without Summer. "

Read More: http://www.unexplain...pt-this-century

Well that will sort out the global warning.

• Like 1

It's really only a matter of time. It might not happen tomorrow, or in a hundred or even a thousand years, but it WILL happen and humanity will have to find a way to deal with it.

It's speculated that the eruption of the Toba super volcano some 70,000 years ago almost wiped out humanity completely. Some estimates put us down to only around 1000 reproductive adults, though that is on the low end. More than likely there were pockets of hundreds and thousands here and there.

We weathered that storm, so today it is even more likely that we can weather another.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Maybe for a decade or so; I think I would rather not depend on some catastrophe to prevent the harm from warming that we are heading into.
  • Like 1

So there is a "reasonable chance" but it's still "fairly small".

Wow, glad they cleared that one up...... there was me thinking they were going to be vague about it lol.

• Like 2

Maybe for a decade or so; I think I would rather not depend on some catastrophe to prevent the harm from warming that we are heading into.

Maybe Aubrey de Grey should be researching how we are going to survive through this, instead of how we are going to live til 1000.

• Like 2

A decade's disruption of the climate system would be a humongous eruption. Not even Loki-Grimsvoten did that.

Doug

Maybe Aubrey de Grey should be researching how we are going to survive through this, instead of how we are going to live til 1000.

Right now, there are no known magma reservoirs anywhere on earth capable of matching the Toba or Yellowstone eruptions. We'll have about a thousand year's warning when one develops.

Doug

Right now, there are no known magma reservoirs anywhere on earth capable of matching the Toba or Yellowstone eruptions. We'll have about a thousand year's warning when one develops.

Doug

Now experts have warned that there is a reasonable chance that a similar eruption could occur within the next 85 years and that if it does the toll could be much, much worse than in 1815.

http://www.unexplain...pt-this-century

Even one year without summer because of an eruption would cause utter carnage. Today people rely a lot on technology, to many their mobile phones are their lifeline, many (like myself) now rely on solar panels, none of these are likely to be working if we are plunged into darkness and the air is completely polluted.

So even if the eruption were not as bad as the Toba or Yellowstone eruptions, the impact on human life would be far greater = mainly because there are far more humans today and we live in a completely different style, but even then, the Toba eruption had a dramatic effect on humans, what effect would a similar eruption have on humans today, based on our lifestyle and the effects ecologically.

The Toba eruption has been linked to a genetic bottleneck in human evolution about 50,000 years ago,[29][30] which may have resulted from a severe reduction in the size of the total human population due to the effects of the eruption on the global climate.[31]

According to the genetic bottleneck theory, between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago, human populations sharply decreased to 3,000–10,000 surviving individuals.[32][33] It is supported by genetic evidence suggesting that today's humans are descended from a very small population of between 1,000 and 10,000 breeding pairs that existed about 70,000 years ago.[34]

http://en.wikipedia....astrophe_theory

Edited by freetoroam

Doug

Does this analysis take under water volcanoes into consideration?

Now experts have warned that there is a reasonable chance that a similar eruption could occur within the next 85 years and that if it does the toll could be much, much worse than in 1815.

http://www.unexplain...pt-this-century

I wasn't very clear, sorry. I was talking about supervolcanos like Toba. Smaller ones like Tamboura, Vesuvius and Grimsvoten could still do a lot of damage.

Even one year without summer because of an eruption would cause utter carnage. Today people rely a lot on technology, to many their mobile phones are their lifeline, many (like myself) now rely on solar panels, none of these are likely to be working if we are plunged into darkness and the air is completely polluted.

So even if the eruption were not as bad as the Toba or Yellowstone eruptions, the impact on human life would be far greater = mainly because there are far more humans today and we live in a completely different style, but even then, the Toba eruption had a dramatic effect on humans, what effect would a similar eruption have on humans today, based on our lifestyle and the effects ecologically.

The Toba eruption has been linked to a genetic bottleneck in human evolution about 50,000 years ago,[29][30] which may have resulted from a severe reduction in the size of the total human population due to the effects of the eruption on the global climate.[31]

According to the genetic bottleneck theory, between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago, human populations sharply decreased to 3,000–10,000 surviving individuals.[32][33] It is supported by genetic evidence suggesting that today's humans are descended from a very small population of between 1,000 and 10,000 breeding pairs that existed about 70,000 years ago.[34]

http://en.wikipedia....astrophe_theory

Doug

If a decent size meteor hits the earth, it changes everything.

It's like dropping a can of soda, and then opening it.

Edited by Raptor Witness

If a decent size meteor hits the earth, it changes everything.

It's like dropping a can of soda, and then opening it.

Only one mass extinction has been caused by a cosmic impact. The odds against another one any time soon seem pretty good.

Doug

FYI: The Tambora eruption shows up in shortleaf pine tree rings in southeast Oklahoma. The narrow years are 1816 -1820 with 1816 and 1818 being the narrowest.

Doug

i should really start stock pilling food supplys, but i just blew my savings on learning to play the guitar, on the bright side i have a new hoby

That was the exact thing I thought of first, but probably in a different way.

Not really.

Br Cornelius

Geez Br, relax... in my mind it would "sort it out" as those who believe in it, those who emphatically argue against it, and those who response literally "Not really." would concentrate their time on survival instead of global warming as it wouldn't matter at that point - only surviving the catastrophe would matter.

Guest Br Cornelius

That was the exact thing I thought of first, but probably in a different way.

Geez Br, relax... in my mind it would "sort it out" as those who believe in it, those who emphatically argue against it, and those who response literally "Not really." would concentrate their time on survival instead of global warming as it wouldn't matter at that point - only surviving the catastrophe would matter.

Not really means that it would mask the continuing warming for a few years and then it would return as if nothing had ever happened. I thought I needed to be precise since some people didn't get my drift.

Br Cornelius

Only one mass extinction has been caused by a cosmic impact. The odds against another one any time soon seem pretty good.

Doug

We are a single species, the last I checked.

It doesn't take a big change in the climate to harm us, because so many are living on the edge.

The point I was making is that there are other ways of causing an increase in volcanism on earth.

One is by thumping her belly until she burps.

Don't Panic,don't panic.....(runs for tin hat)

• Like 1

Devastating comet could hit the Earth in this century.

There are over million of 'could' possibilities.

Devastating comet could hit the Earth in this century.

There are over million of 'could' possibilities.

you know the odds are that there will be a mass extinction causing thing every other week if you take in to account how many things COULD kill us this century