Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pets Can Transmit Infections to People

Still Waters

Illnesses that spread from pets to humans are more common than previously thought, finds a paper published this week that offers a new set of guidelines for reducing the health risks.

Young children, pregnant women, seniors and anyone with a weakened immune system, such as those undergoing chemotherapy, should be especially careful when around pets, according to the authors of the paper, which is published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

http://news.discover...ople-150420.htm

Toddlers can also transmit all sorts of infections...no one is suggesting we 'get rid' of them though!

Bottom line: Take your pets to the Vet and clean up after them as if they actually were one of your kids. Also, as much as we love our pets it's a good idea if each of you has your own bed. It's healthier and you'll get a better night's sleep as well.

• Like 2

Toddlers can also transmit all sorts of infections...no one is suggesting we 'get rid' of them though!

:w00t:

I am. :devil:

• Like 2

duh!... wonder how much they spent to "find this out". What they are not saying is that common illnesses can also spread from humans to pets (and happens that way many more times than vice-verse).

duh!... wonder how much they spent to "find this out". What they are not saying is that common illnesses can also spread from humans to pets (and happens that way many more times than vice-verse).

Old news to me too. Years ago, my dog got sick, he had a strep infection. Family had strep throat before he got sick. The vet told me whenever you get strep throat or other infection that needs drug treatment , dogs should be treated too or you will keep passing it back to each other! Animals get different symtoms but its the same viruses and bacterias

Bottom line: Take your pets to the Vet and clean up after them as if they actually were one of your kids. Also, as much as we love our pets it's a good idea if each of you has your own bed. It's healthier and you'll get a better night's sleep as well.

I must say I caught more horrible things brought back from school by kids coughing on me and touching everything with their boogers than my animals! Many parents need to teach children not to get all over adults when they are sick. Most pet owners have better control with pets than their kids spreading germs! LOL

Crutzfeld-Jakob Disease (human version of Mad Cow/BSO - bovine spongiform encephalitis) is one of the worst that can be passed between humans and animals (dogs and cats I know), being a prion disease - the kind of things that requires hospitals to use an autoclave to clean any instruments used to treat patients, or else destroy the instruments away in biohazard containment because prions aren't something you can treat or that goes away apparently. Scary stuff, from what I've read.

I had a pet once it was a tick and we called him mr tiny, he gave me borelia. After that I decided that we had to go separate ways.

Toxoplasmosis is a real issue, though, and that's why pregnant women and immune-compromised people shouldn't be changing the litter box. It's a good idea not to allow cats up on the counters, either, because they do have fecal feet. You can only do so much, though, so if they're on your furniture, and you're eating there you could easily get it.

I'm not accusing you of this because you are just passing on a published story, but in my experience telling us that pets can spread disease is a pointless statement of the obvious, one often promoted by pet haters and the gutter press trying to scare us. Stating the obvious in itself is no great problem, it's just what can happen next thats the worry - legislation and persecution in our increasingly intolerent society.

I had a pet once it was a tick and we called him mr tiny, he gave me borelia. After that I decided that we had to go separate ways.

I had a pet cricket once but a tick! That's just way too funny! Was he your pet before or after he latched on to you?

• Like 1

I'm not accusing you of this because you are just passing on a published story, but in my experience telling us that pets can spread disease is a pointless statement of the obvious, one often promoted by pet haters and the gutter press trying to scare us. Stating the obvious in itself is no great problem, it's just what can happen next thats the worry - legislation and persecution in our increasingly intolerent society.

I love animals, but I've also seen posters up in just about every veterinarian's office warning pregnant women not to change the litter box. Facts are facts, and people need to know them so they can be careful...especially, if they are particularly vulnerable.

• Like 1

I love animals, but I've also seen posters up in just about every veterinarian's office warning pregnant women not to change the litter box. Facts are facts, and people need to know them so they can be careful...especially, if they are particularly vulnerable.

True, but facts are more often than not cherry picked to advance an agenda. For example, I've yet to read a scare story in the media that points out that the vast majority of diseases have evolved to attack one species. Dogs for example tend to get dog diseases, and humans tend to get human diseases. Only a handful of diseases cross the species barrier so the pregnant woman in your example is at far more risk from contact with other humans than she ever is from stroking her dog.

I had a pet cricket once but a tick! That's just way too funny! Was he your pet before or after he latched on to you?

Ha ha no just trying to be funny. One of my cats probably let him inside..

• Like 1