Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tasting 170-year old shipwrecked champagne

Still Waters

Scientists say that 170-year old champagne found on a shipwreck at the bottom of the Baltic Sea actually tasted pretty good. The French bubbly is believed to be the oldest wine ever tasted, and although it was super-sweet, it also exhibited aromas of leather, tobacco and smoke.

French researchers are publishing their chemical analysis of the champagne today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, five years after 168 intact bottles were discovered by scuba divers off the Finnish coastline in 2010.

http://news.discover...good-150420.htm

• Like 4

It was a brave man that popped the cork and glugged that down!

• Like 3

I'm not much of a champagne aficionado but I can appreciate the rarity of the occasion to taste the bubbly of 2 centuries past.

• Like 2

High Fluting scientists always drinking their bubbly from 1845 and lording over me with math and science and their degrees from actual colleges not The Steve Jones Skool of Practical Englesh fully accredited by The Bob Ryan Instatuden for Accrediting The Steve Jones Skool of Practical Englesh.

• Like 2

Oh I guess this is better than tasting the 170 year-old beer that tasted like goat :P

Cool stuff Still Waters. Thanks!

• Like 2

I wonder how they mashed the grapes back in those days, wait I remember....nasty

They should analyze it and find out the exact ingredients. Maybe they could learn something that they didn't know, or debunk a few theories pertaining to how some wines were made back then. Then make the wine and distribute it.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx
  • Like 1