Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jersey Devil Behavior

FloweringShade

Hi there! For a school project I have to find an animal, myth or real, and write a page about them as if I'm that animal (weird, I know). I've chosen my favorite cryptid, the Jersey Devil.

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some help from you lovely people. :)

What kinda of behavior would you say the Jersey Devil has? No matter if it's real or not, if it was, what would it act like? Or from reports, how does it act?

I've got so far from reports: territorial and nocturnal.

Thanks a bunch and sorry if the question seems stupid. :(

• Like 1

I believe it's been allegedly seen up in trees and on roofs. And like some others, it's probably allegedly a buddy of Bigfoot.

• Like 1

It's also supposed to be kind of skittish around people , like most cryptids, thus the running away thing

• Like 1

I believe it's been allegedly seen up in trees and on roofs. And like some others, it's probably allegedly a buddy of Bigfoot.

Thanks a bunch! Man, Bigfoot is quite the charismatic cryptid, eh? (I'm not funny)

It's also supposed to be kind of skittish around people , like most cryptids, thus the running away thing

Thank you!

Thanks a bunch! Man, Bigfoot is quite the charismatic cryptid, eh? (I'm not funny)

He gets around, I'm telling ya...nothing but a big hairy flirt...

• Like 1

This might be of some help: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4282

Most notably, it flew on great leathery batlike wings, and had a horrifying screech. The newspapers were filled with dozens and dozens of accounts: the Jersey Devil killed chickens and dogs, flapped and screeched and chased residents, and left cloven footprints in the snow all throughout the region.
:)

A more in depth history:

http://www.csicop.or...the_real_story/

This would also make a good school report. The very interesting history of the birth of "something" that took on a life of it's own. And has eye-witnesses to its existence?!!!

UM member Rafterman posted on this originally.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Choose a version of the cryptid that is old and grumpy and youthful and full of the promise of life or maybe a cryptid going through a mid life crisis. You could have a juvenile delinquent version of the cryptid skulking around trying to frighten the daylights out of people to join the teen gang.

It screeches as it flies quickly overhead. It has been known to walk up to people's porches and peer in windows. It'll hang out in back yards, leave footprints in the snow, and break lamps with its tail. It flies very fast and tends to avoid people unless cornered, after which time it will attack. It moves like a kangaroo.

These are all things I've read in various books. Hope it helps.

Thanks for all your help guys! Any traits I should put down? I'm thinking curious as one.

Not to throw a wet blanket on the crypto version of the JD, but the REAL story of the JD, the politics of the time, and why he was created is much more interesting.

Not to throw a wet blanket on the crypto version of the JD, but the REAL story of the JD, the politics of the time, and why he was created is much more interesting.

Nah, don't worry. That's a good idea, I'll look into it. :)

It likes to murder goats and drink their blood. So murder seems like a favorite activity of the devil. That should go over well...

• Like 1

It likes to murder goats and drink their blood. So murder seems like a favorite activity of the devil. That should go over well...

I'll definitely get an A with that! :D

Is the project like an autobiography, or just a day in the life? Lots of good sources here--would it be possible for you to post it when you're done? (No worries if you can't or don't want to.)

The reason it has such a huge nose and nostrils is that it can smell the scent of its victim from miles away. It sits in big old trees at night sniffing the breeze until it can get the pheromones of a young woman that is just coming to the peak of her cycle. The creature has a brain defect that it was born with that mistakes the smell of a polyploid macronucleus.Bjaponicum for a threat rather than a possible mate.

As the beast is a territorial creature (with both male and female genitalia) it sees the victim as a threat and climbs the tree to the highest bough and waits for the wind to get strong enough so its leathery wings will allow it to get airborne, much like it's ancient ancestors, the 'pterodactyl' used to do over the cliffs of a land called 'Allaraquoor-aths-ettvi' in the old language. Then it zeros in on the perceived threat using a full moon, ( or close to, within a few days) as it's eyes sight is not great, until it can circle a few times until there are no other creatures visible. Then it lands and as it wants to scare away the threat it hits, scraps and smashes its hooves on the hard ground. If there is no response then it will walk up to the door with the strongest scent of its victim and, now in a frenzy, rears up smashing its hooves hard on the door try to smash it down.

The only thing that can scare it is the innocence of a pure maiden. The only recorded encounters happened to be maidens of virtue who upon answering the door scared the creature with their own beauty and inner strength. In an instant of remembered shame the beast remembers the union of it's own ancestors with that of the 1st mammal to walk on two legs and flees, screaming and howling and cursing god and the devil, back to the bleak wilderness again to roam for as many years as it takes to forget.

So, it's like a reverse unicorn?

not unless there is a cowgirl involved?

The reason it has such a huge nose and nostrils is that it can smell the scent of its victim from miles away. It sits in big old trees at night sniffing the breeze until it can get the pheromones of a young woman that is just coming to the peak of her cycle. The creature has a brain defect that it was born with that mistakes the smell of a polyploid macronucleus.Bjaponicum for a threat rather than a possible mate.

As the beast is a territorial creature (with both male and female genitalia) it sees the victim as a threat and climbs the tree to the highest bough and waits for the wind to get strong enough so its leathery wings will allow it to get airborne, much like it's ancient ancestors, the 'pterodactyl' used to do over the cliffs of a land called 'Allaraquoor-aths-ettvi' in the old language. Then it zeros in on the perceived threat using a full moon, ( or close to, within a few days) as it's eyes sight is not great, until it can circle a few times until there are no other creatures visible. Then it lands and as it wants to scare away the threat it hits, scraps and smashes its hooves on the hard ground. If there is no response then it will walk up to the door with the strongest scent of its victim and, now in a frenzy, rears up smashing its hooves hard on the door try to smash it down.

The only thing that can scare it is the innocence of a pure maiden. The only recorded encounters happened to be maidens of virtue who upon answering the door scared the creature with their own beauty and inner strength. In an instant of remembered shame the beast remembers the union of it's own ancestors with that of the 1st mammal to walk on two legs and flees, screaming and howling and cursing god and the devil, back to the bleak wilderness again to roam for as many years as it takes to forget.

This is amazing!

Is the project like an autobiography, or just a day in the life? Lots of good sources here--would it be possible for you to post it when you're done? (No worries if you can't or don't want to.)

It's like an autobiography. And yeah, if I can I definitely will! :)

• Like 1

The Jersey Devil is also apparently nigh-indestructable too. -In the early 19th century, Commodore Stephen Decatur, a naval hero, was testing cannon balls on the firing range when he saw a strange creature flying across the sky. He fired and hit the creature but it kept right on flying across the field.

http://theshadowlands.net/jd.htm

The Jersey Devil is also apparently nigh-indestructable too. -In the early 19th century, Commodore Stephen Decatur, a naval hero, was testing cannon balls on the firing range when he saw a strange creature flying across the sky. He fired and hit the creature but it kept right on flying across the field.

http://theshadowlands.net/jd.htm

Oh, wow, that's cool. Thanks! :D