Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Levitation Train Breaks Own Speed Record

Still Waters

A Japanese maglev that is the fastest passenger train in the world has broken its own speed record.

Operator JR Central said the train reached 603 kilometers per hour (375 miles per hour) in a test run on Tuesday, surpassing its previous record of 361 mph (581 kph) set in 2003. The train traveled for just over a mile (1.8 kilometers) at a speed exceeding 600 kph (373 mph).

http://www.huffingto..._n_7107274.html

• Like 2

"I'M GOING OFF THE RAAAAILS ON A MAGLEV TRAIN"

• Like 2

375 mph!? i'd have a heart attack! but i suppose there may be a lot of potential for mag-lev transportation.

So, the passengers arrive in Tokyo City while their lunch is still in Yokohama?

• Like 1

I have motion sickness just thinking about it! :sk

I am a certified speed freak (not the drug). I probably would not be able to contain myself if I got to ride this thing. Total rush.

Edited by ancient astronaut

So, the passengers arrive in Tokyo City while their lunch is still in Yokohama?

No. But in case of an emergency braking, the lunch will arrive into Tokyo first.

• Like 1

I've been on one of those once. It was exciting and unsettling at the same time. It made me wish the US would do more in building our infrastructure up because going from San Francisco to New York in less than 8 hours for less than $100 sounds good to me.

Edited by BeastieRunner

Many years ago I rode on one of Japan's bullet trains, I don't think it was maglev tech, but it was going about 175 mph if I remember correctly, perhaps a bit faster. Two things were very cool, the first how fast the landscape races by you; hills, towns and lakes just zoom by. The second, much more unnerving, is when you pass a train going in the opposite direction in the blink of an eye. It shakes the entire train and all you see is a blur.

I rode one of these in Shanghai, the fastest regular commercial train. The acceleration is not extreme at all, just steady, what is really impressive is seeing the world go by at 431 km/h (268 mph) at ground level.

Edited by Razer

Imagine the crash!

Similar to commercial airlines. Obviously a viable option, but it's a matter of time before an accident.

IMHO - an essential technology. Australia would benefit hugely from this technology, but we don't have the money.

• Like 1

I haven't done any research on this but what happens if there is a power outage. It must have wheels too right? Or the friction would probably melt the skids.

And what about electro magnetic fields. I guess you need some serious electromagnets to make it levitate and it cant be healthy to spend so much time in these for the people working on the train.

Is the trains cabin shielded from that? Or else they will all probably have girls when they decide to get children :)