Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA steps up the search for alien life

UM-Bot

The space agency has formed a new coalition of scientists from a wide range of different fields.

The Nexus for Exoplanet System Science (NExSS) aims to bring together climate scientists, heliophysicists, astrophysicists and several other groups of experts in a concerted effort to find evidence of life on other planets.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/280753/nasa-steps-up-the-search-for-alien-life

• Like 1

Unless congress cuts the funding off. :hmm:

Has Obama appointed a new NASA Tsar?

Jim Watzin is the Mars Czar and Bolden is still the Admin. Holdren might be considered the current czar.

I'm of the mind that life does exist elsewhere and that there's proof already behind closed doors. It seems to me nasa has been inching towards prepping the common folk, to drop the news.

I read stuff like this for years now, and so far, nothing but frozen microbal life was found (and it was found on a comet, here on Earth). In my opinion, you can't conclude if there really are intelligent beings on planets outside of our solar system just by studying the planet's image. Image, esspecially of a far away planet means nothing. If we life in these conditions on this planet, it doesn't mean that extraterrestrials need the same conditions - meaning, life could exist on planets much, much different than our's. IMO we can't find anything unless at least robot is sent to potential-intelligent-life-to-be-found planets.

- Jacker.

I read stuff like this for years now, and so far, nothing but frozen microbal life was found (and it was found on a comet, here on Earth)

No "frozen microbial life" has been found on a comet on Earth.

Some structures which were believed to have been possible fossilised microbial life were found in a meteorite which originated on Mars, although most scientists now believe these structures to be geological rather than biological in origin.

In my opinion, you can't conclude if there really are intelligent beings on planets outside of our solar system just by studying the planet's image.

Probably not, but that is not what the scientists will be doing. You do know that the vast majority of the nearly 2000 planets we kno to exist have not been imaged at all don't you? You do know that the tiny fraction that have been imaged are just a single point of light? Looking at images is NOT how scientists derive their knowledge of exoplanets.

A lot can be learnt from the spectrum of a planet's atmosphere. An alien race could almost certainly deduce that there is something unusual going on on Earth and could probably conclude that there is life here, possibly even an industrial civilisation and they could do that without even need to image the planet.

Image, esspecially of a far away planet means nothing.

Maybe not to you, but to an expert...

If we life in these conditions on this planet, it doesn't mean that extraterrestrials need the same conditions - meaning, life could exist on planets much, much different than our's.

Possibly, however the restrictions of chemistry mean that we can be sure that most life is carbon based. That there are upper and lower limits of temperature outside of which not even extremophiles can exist. Our knowledge of planetary formation mean that it is possible to determine if an atmosphere is unusual and therefore a possible indicator of life. The science already exists to determine if some planets may have life... it's the technology that is lagging behind (and that is catching up rapidly).

IMO we can't find anything unless at least robot is sent to potential-intelligent-life-to-be-found planets.

Fortunately the experts won't be listening to your opinion, they will be listening to other experts.