Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Newly discovered galaxy sets distance record

UM-Bot

Astronomers have identified the most distant galaxy ever recorded at 13 billion light years away.

Known as EGS-zs8-1, the galaxy was discovered by a team of astronomers from Yale University and the University of California.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/281191/newly-discovered-galaxy-sets-distance-record

• Like 5

"t is so distant that the light we are seeing from it has taken over 13 billion years to reach us".

Well that just boggles my tiny little insignificant mind!

• Like 3

THAT ancient galaxy could be exactly where some highly advanced aliens exist. They would have had billions of years to evolve technologies that would seem magical to us.

• Like 4

A Galaxy 13 BILLION light years from us in the Milky Way! Now, what speed was the recession of this Galaxy relative to ours, and the believed age of the Universe. Would it even have been a Galaxy at the point of separation? Impossible. Is there something fundamentally wrong with the way we assign distances and ages to cosmological objects?.. just asking :whistle:

THAT ancient galaxy could be exactly where some highly advanced aliens exist. They would have had billions of years to evolve technologies that would seem magical to us.

Or they could be barely ahead of us.

You have to remember that not every race outside our own planet will be HUMANOID.

There is also no scale for intelligence of beings outside of our galaxy or even within it.

If i were to make a scale from 1 through 10, I'd say that humans are only at 1, compared to any other life that may be out there.

We're still just so young and primitive.

• Like 2

Can we cue the "Star Wars" Theme music now?

"May the force be with you!"

Great news! Congrats to the astronomers who worked with eachother to confirm this.

Getting pretty close to seeing if there's anything 13.82 billion light years away. If there's not, that's the definitive age of the universe. If there's something 15 billion light years out, people are going to have to do some crazy math.

We are in the milkyway keithisco. The milky way is our galaxy this one is very far away and obviously seperate because galaxies are clusters that look like an object in a vast void seperated by near emptiness.

• Like 1

Awesome. Advancements in our technology to explore space has literally excelled at phenomenal speeds in the last 100 years. Centuries and centuries of no in-depth observations, then suddenly wham! We're reaching out and looking far beyond our own galaxy and exceeding what could have been expected.

I look forward to what the next 50 or so years holds for space exploration, it's gonna be fantastic! And too bad i can't be around another 2 or 300 years to see even further advancements. I do wonder what the 'distant' future generations will discover long after i'm gone. At least my children, grand children and my future descendents will be able to experience it.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx
  • Like 2

WOW! 13 billion light years. Now that's a long walking distance. :yes:

post-103357-0-67662200-1431274004_thumb.

Getting pretty close to seeing if there's anything 13.82 billion light years away. If there's not, that's the definitive age of the universe. If there's something 15 billion light years out, people are going to have to do some crazy math.

There is a light barrier, a portion of the universe we can never see because it is greater than the time/distance that light has taken to reach the earth. If the farthest distance light has traveled from any point in the universe towards the Earth is say, 15 billion light years, then any object, at say 16 billion light years, cannot be seen, at least not for another billion years.

Now there may not be anything much beyond that galaxy recently discovered or there may be much more, but at some point we will be blind to it, even if it exists and we have telescopes of several magnitudes the power of those existing today. The problem will not be in the level of our technology but in the properties and speed of light itself.

• Like 2