Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meet the Woman Who Can No Longer Feel Emotion

She-ra

Today, 47-year-old Leigh Erceg is a gifted artist and poet who enjoys spending time working on mathematical equations.

But she wasn’t always that way.

In 2009, Erceg experienced a traumatic brain injury after a serious fall into a ravine. But the effects of the injury turned Erceg into a completely different person. Before, she was a NASCAR-loving tomboy with no interest in math or art. Today, she’s gifted in those two areas, and has also gained the ability to experience synesthesia, which is when you can “see” sounds and “hear” colors while listening to music.

But she lost one big thing in the injury: the ability to feel emotions.

Read more here: https://www.yahoo.com/health/meet-the-woman-who-can-no-longer-feel-emotions-119042248662.html

• Like 6

Sad story, but reminds me a bit of Spock. :blush:

• Like 1

I was going to make a joke about her symptoms lining up pretty nicely with vampirism, but I know 3 people with traumatic brain injuries and it is a god aweful thing to behold.

The loss of memory is terrible but the double whammy of emotions leaving as well seems to be overly harsh. And I can't imagine any recompense of enhanced abilities making up for it.

• Like 3

Hmm.... that explains, while visiting the Grand Canyon, I was talking with my wife and she said "You're smarter than that" then proceeded to push me off the cliff's edge.

:passifier:

• Like 1

A very sad story. Maybe she'll get better in a few years. The Brain has been known to reroute pathways, maybe it will in her case as well.

so they are calling this Acquired Savant Syndrome a 'rare malady' ?

How about removing accidentally the brain blockages set in by the creator ?

so they are calling this Acquired Savant Syndrome a 'rare malady' ?

How about removing accidentally the brain blockages set in by the creator ?

How about not? Age of stupid indeed.
  • Like 1

Not to demean her experience but if the brain is capable of being altered like that it has to make one wonder if science could not find a way to tap in to it, preferably without bad side effects?

Not to demean her experience but if the brain is capable of being altered like that it has to make one wonder if science could not find a way to tap in to it, preferably without bad side effects?

Start with Congress.

I would suspect that the many scientists have wondered the same thing. Who would not want to be smarter, or have an almost mystical understanding of color, sounds, music, art, mathematics and so forth? If there was only a certainty of altering the brain in a positive way, but, fiddling around in a brain can cause unexpected negative results also.

I have read a similar story. There was this autistic man and he was cured from his illness when he was struck by a lightning.

• Like 1

one think i know for sure: smart ppl don't have a place in society . our modern society needs only brain dead consumers who can work like animals two job spending money on cell phones and entertaitment , or products that are ending up to be taxed 20 times between producer and first hand seller.

one think i know for sure: smart ppl don't have a place in society . our modern society needs only brain dead consumers who can work like animals two job spending money on cell phones and entertaitment , or products that are ending up to be taxed 20 times between producer and first hand seller.

What planet is this on? It appears you don't know anything about smart people.
  • Like 1

I have read a similar story. There was this autistic man and he was cured from his illness when he was struck by a lightning.

I would love to see this article if you can find it again :)

One of my very best friends suffered a massive stroke when we were 23 years old. (It was later found that she has a very rare blood disorder that caused it)

Prior to the stroke, she was a math genius. She acquired her her Batchelder's degree in mathematics, she had very little patience for the arts, or anything else that required any kind of "fanciful thinking" the stroke transformed her. She's now an almost savant like painter and can paint anything she's seen from memory.

After recovering from the stroke, which did leave her paralyzed on her left side, she still retains her mathematical abilities, bit is no longer interested in them. She spends her life painting and working as a volunteer for a number of charitable organizations.

She's definitely not the person I grew up with anymore, but as luck would have it, I like this new person too! She had the opposite reaction to her brain injury, she's more emotional now.

Brain injuries are just weird.

• 4 weeks later...

when i was 7 i meet an accident, my temporal lobe soften and i too suffer head injuries ..,,,,zzzz but good thing happened there is no changes at all lol....

It is a really sad loss, but with her forthcomings she can feel how it may be..

I've lost a lot of emotion dealing with something emotionless and it taught me to be more endearing when sometimes I'm just not.

• 2 years later...