Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's up at Orkney

back to earth

1776547-Moving_30_Ton_Stone_Megaliths_By_Hand-Orkney.jpg

Stennes

Then out along the isthmus ...

Orkney_KAP_Ring_of_Brodgar.jpg

Ring of Brodgar.

To ...

orkney-3.jpg

and Skara Brae

Skara_Brae_kap_KB_03.jpg

All seeming to be part of a complex (with remains of 600 cattle slaughtered, that appears to have been done at the same time for a giant feast ) linked together

orkneysmap1.gif

At a time that predates the Great Pyramids and Stonehenge ( some say things seem to have spread from this site south into the mainland, and Stonehenge is a latter development.

IT seems like the very tip of western Europe, the last bastion ? The sites are in a huge bowl, surrounded by hills and mountains in a giant ring, the central portion is surrounded by water, like an island with a drawbridge in and out. They dont think it is military or fortifications. It seems a place, a sacred place that was at the end of ... or at the top of, the 'world' . A type of 'mystical Avalon ' .

The size of the feast seems to indicate similar conclusions about people and lifestyles 'pre-agriculture' , as in Gobekli Tepe ?

And then it all got filled in by people of that ... at a massive expense of labour and effort and abandoned ... again like Gobleki Tepe.

? ? ? ? ? :unsure2:

Is anyone up on the latest ideas about this, or know good sources ?

• Like 3

IIRC there is a line (yes, stop rolling your eyes at the back, I saw you) of sites from the Orkney a Islands to Stonehnge.

• Like 1

Id love to visit Orkney for a holiday, it looks so wonderful.

• Like 2

Its a great place but don't go in the winter - late spring and late summer - September October are best to avoid the hordes of Europeans - don't go in the summer months limited infrastructure and too many tourist but glorious weather.

Phil Copens did some work on the megalithic sites of Britain in "Lost Civilisation" and Peter Ackroyd touched on them in the opening chapters of "Foundation".

I don't know anything about this place but it looks really cool. I'd love to visit for sure :tu: Thanks for this. Beautiful!

I've not heard of this place, but it looks phenomenal. Even more reason for me to hop the pond and make it to Europe.

Your present focus is admittedly rather out of my realm of expertise. However, the following lay-oriented references will hopefully provide you with a bit of background and resources to utilize for follow-up research. More technical references can be sourced.

http://www.orkneyarc...d-social-events

http://www.orkneyjar.com/archaeology/

http://www.historic-...genda-part1.pdf

Edit: Punctuation.

Edited by Swede

Hadn't heard of Stenness before

Unusual 'stones' there !

11-orkney-stones-of-stenness.jpg

Aha ! Thats how they did it ... (that is one fearsome butt ! )

1407333910306_Image_galleryImage_PERMITTED_USE_This_image_.JPG

(Edit : Doh! It did it again :( ... click on 'quote' to see pic )

.... thanks for the refs you guys :)

Edited by back to earth

(ooops)

Edited by back to earth

Id love to visit Orkney for a holiday, it looks so wonderful.

It's pretty cool actually.