Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disney flagship store opens in Shanghai

bubblykiss

Photo taken on May 20, 2015 shows the exterior of the Disney flagship store in Shanghai, east China. The store, occupying an area of 5,860 square meters in the Lujiazui business district, was opened on Wednesday. (Xinhua/Ding Ting)

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/2015-05/21/content_20783878.htm

I wonder how the Chinese will feel about buying Disney products? This will be an interesting story to follow.

• Like 1

Surprised they found that amount of space to build it on. Shanghai is pretty crowded.

But it seems they have thought this out: from 2013

But, it’s very, very importanticon1.png that while we bring Disney to a market we make sure that in that market it feels like, for instance, China’s Disney. It can’t just be the Disney that exists in carbon copy form somewhere else in the world.

Where we’re most in tune with this is the development and the design and the construction of Shanghai Disneyland. We spent 11 years negotiating for the ability to bring Disneyland.

And the company made a decision that Hong Kong should come first, that Shanghai, and we looked at other places in China, but it was clear that Shanghai was the number one choice, that Shanghai should come second.

http://deadline.com/2013/06/bob-iger-behind-the-scenes-of-disney-in-china-515526/

• Like 1

My nephew works for Disney and he has been back-and-forth to China (and other spots for Disney). I think this was well thought out. Many people are big fans of everything Disney so we will see how this unfolds.

PS: Edited to add...a lot of the Disney employees have *Hidden Micky* tattoos. It's hysterical where they have them and how a lot of these are done. Just thought I'd add that little tidbit here :P

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 1

My nephew works for Disney and he has been back-and-forth to China (and other spots for Disney). I think this was well thought out. Many people are big fans of everything Disney so we will see how this unfolds.

What a great job he has. Do you get any complimentary Mickey`s?

• Like 1

What a great job he has. Do you get any complimentary Mickey`s?

My sister and I do the Disney Cruise's for like 50% of cost. The problem is the timeline stinks. This sort of deal is only offered like 2 days BEFORE the cruise leaves port. So, getting airfare down there ends up being very expensive and sort of equals out what a regular cruise cost would be...meh. Sometimes we can get a good deal about 6 weeks out but that's only like an 80% reduction. It's only select cruises and based on how filled the ship is and all that. It's called the Friends and Family program or something like that. Disney really is a great company to work for. My nephew started as John Smith from Pokohanas (in Orlando) then he was Beast from beauty and the Beast (he is 6 foot 4) then he was Sully from Monsters, Inc. The costumes are brutal and he lost like 20 pounds. He now is (background is medical and hospitality UCF) air support transfer for medical emergencies on the ships. So if you have a health issue and need to be transported from the middle of the sea to a hospital he does that...he gets people to the Medical help they need from the cruise ships- all of them- he handles the fleet :)

My husband was management at ABC/Disney (in media) for many years so we were always at Disney at discounted rates. My sister also worked for ABC/Disney (nephews mother). He can't get free passes anymore and my nephew only gets free park passes at Christmas-time. They really have buttoned up anything free anymore.

Did you see above about the Hidden Mickey tattoo's? :P They are hysterical.

• Like 1

My sister and I do the Disney Cruise's for like 50% of cost. The problem is the timeline stinks. This sort of deal is only offered like 2 days BEFORE the cruise leaves port. So, getting airfare down there ends up being very expensive and sort of equals out what a regular cruise cost would be...meh. Sometimes we can get a good deal about 6 weeks out but that's only like an 80% reduction. It's only select cruises and based on how filled the ship is and all that. It's called the Friends and Family program or something like that. Disney really is a great company to work for. My nephew started as John Smith from Pokohanas (in Orlando) then he was Beast from beauty and the Beast (he is 6 foot 4) then he was Sully from Monsters, Inc. The costumes are brutal and he lost like 20 pounds. He now is (background is medical and hospitality UCF) air support transfer for medical emergencies on the ships. So if you have a health issue and need to be transported from the middle of the sea to a hospital he does that...he gets people to the Medical help they need from the cruise ships- all of them- he handles the fleet :)

My husband was management at ABC/Disney (in media) for many years so we were always at Disney at discounted rates. My sister also worked for ABC/Disney (nephews mother). He can't get free passes anymore and my nephew only gets free park passes at Christmas-time. They really have buttoned up anything free anymore.

Did you see above about the Hidden Mickey tattoo's? :P They are hysterical.

I went to Disneyland Florida..many moons ago when I was in my early 20`s. Absolutely loved it We went to the Epcot center and Disneyland, I still remember it as if it were yesterday.

Your nephew is very lucky to have that as a memory (apart from the costumes bit) sounds as if he is doing a very good job now, much respect. We support the RNLI very brave men and very worth supporting. They do an amazing job in some very harsh conditions. :tu:

• Like 1

I would like to point out to Disney that cerise isn't pink, magenta isn't pink, crimson isn't pink. The Pink Panther is pink.

Thank you, I feel much better now.

• Like 2

I would like to point out to Disney that cerise isn't pink, magenta isn't pink, crimson isn't pink. The Pink Panther is pink.

Thank you, I feel much better now.

I think Disney should have a pinkfoot, sort of like a cousin to blurfoot. :yes:

it's a small world after all

(i went to Disneyland as a kid, with Ma&Dad.) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Photo taken on May 20, 2015 shows the exterior of the Disney flagship store in Shanghai, east China. The store, occupying an area of 5,860 square meters in the Lujiazui business district, was opened on Wednesday. (Xinhua/Ding Ting)

http://usa.chinadail...nt_20783878.htm

I wonder how the Chinese will feel about buying Disney products? This will be an interesting story to follow.

Most of 'em are probably made in China anyhow.

Anyway, seeing as how the imbeciles in the Obomber administration have now decided to confront China as well as Russia, let's hope that Disney have enough power to restrain the maniacs.