Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs have lived with humans for 30,000 years

UM-Bot

New evidence suggests that dogs may have been man's best friend for far longer than previously thought.

The relationship we humans share with our canine companions is known to date back tens of thousands of years and has long proven a mutually beneficial arrangement for both species.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/281782/dogs-have-lived-with-humans-for-30000-years

• Like 4

i have a siberian husky, i personally think they domesticated humans lol, if there is any husky owners out there, you know what i am talking about.

• Like 5

I have absolutely no doubt this is 100% spot on. Oh scaniaman have you seen the husky video of the dog telling his owner "no"? Hysterical!

• Like 1

Honestly, I think dogs are far more a "woman's best friend" . I strongly suspect it was cavewomen that domesticated dogs.

• Like 2

Honestly, I think dogs are far more a "woman's best friend" . I strongly suspect it was cavewomen that domesticated dogs.

:lol: Right on sista!! Or...she talked her caveman into getting one or two :P
  • Like 1

I highly suspect wolf puppies were brought back camp for the cooking pot. It was most likely the women who saved the more sociable ones from being dinner.

• Like 3

It seems more likely that humans coined on to the idea of using wolves to their advantage, using them as a hunting/camp defence tool, I doubt it wasn't intended or a product of an altogether different intention.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne
  • Like 2

Dogs are the absolute best companions anyone could wish to have.

• Like 4

Wow. 30,000 years.

That's 210,000 in dog years.

Harte

• Like 5

In order to get a wild wolf to go along with helping you hunt and guard camp you're going to have to start with a young pup...and a pup that's open to the notion (the correct temperment).

I think that the initial domestication was probably somewhat earlier, it would make sense for wolves to follow human hunters. By circa 30k bp humans would have had a sophisticated culture, ( they are very much fully modern humans at this point), and possessed decent hunting technology such as spear throwers and possibly archery.

Man was the most dangerous animal on the planet and by far the most capable hunter - wolf packs would have have soon learned to follow at a distance and scavenge from kills. I can imagine humans killing wolves for food and keeping pups - after all there is little food value in a pup - the 'cute' factor was no doubt present, papa hunter probably thought a pup would entertain his kids and save him from having to carve *yet another* mammoth ivory toy animal.

A domesticated pack would be fantastic asset to a family of hunter gatherers.

Edited by Jon101

i have a siberian husky, i personally think they domesticated humans lol, if there is any husky owners out there, you know what i am talking about.

Yeah, i feel like his slave sometimes :D But just gotta love their character. Soon i will get female for my dog and then, well, who knows what :D

Yet there's an article on here called "worlds oldest blood 5,300 years".

How is this relevant, pray tell?.

Didn't Ayla (the Ur-Martha Stewart) do that?

• Like 2

Yes, i read this days ago. Very thoughtful as I proceed to clip my best friend for summer comfort for the first time ever.

Didn't Ayla (the Ur-Martha Stewart) do that?

I read that series of books. It is interesting that the dog was the constant. AND also that I have a vague recollection of crying while reading when that dog died. Did it die in the books? I am not sure.

I had a Siberian Husky once. She was the lead dog for the sled pack. I adored her.