Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Of Holes In Swiss Cheese Solved

Still Waters

Scientists have finally solved a mystery that has baffled them for a century - why does Swiss cheese have holes?

The old wives' tale claimed mice were responsible - but it turns out the culprit is hay.

These "microscopically small hay particles" get into the milk and create holes as the liquid matures into cheese.

https://uk.news.yaho...29.html#webRNWW

I don't get it. Wouldn't all milk have bits of hay in it? Why then wouldn't chedder have holes in it?

• Like 1

Hay holes.

So if we put a bunch in there we'd have cheese foam. "Diet" cheese we could call it.

OK! All that has to be done is take the same milk bucket and filter half of it to capture the hay. Then make Swiss cheese out of it and see if the holes aren't in the filtered sample. Doesn't this make you wonder what in the stall touched the hay before it was in the bucket? :innocent:

Now that I think about it more, aren't most cows milked by machine with the milk going into a sealed container?

Regardless, with or without holes, I still don't like the taste of Swiss cheese. Which is kind of ironic as some of my ancestors came from Switzerland.

• Like 1

not a realistic discovery . It is the bacteria . elders knows it

I worked in the cheese making business in Monroe Wi. when younger and I submit the idea this story is more about the BULL , rather than the cheese from the cow . The holes are in Swiss Cheese because of the unique kind of bacteria used for it's texture and taste .

• Like 1

I worked in the cheese making business in Monroe Wi. when younger and I submit the idea this story is more about the BULL , rather than the cheese from the cow . The holes are in Swiss Cheese because of the unique kind of bacteria used for it's texture and taste .

exactly

and for the records, the piece of cheese depicted in the image is Gruyere

Edited by qxcontinuum

• 2 weeks later...