Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thinking without the minds eye

l0st

I once contemplated the thought of thinking in another area of my mind. I wanted to try think in a lower more closer to the middle section of my brain ( because thoughts feel they conjure at the front of my forehead). I went about thinking this for many weeks. Thinking and feeling this thought was becoming more real and with each passing hour i spent inside my head it felt more plausible. Until one day it was about 11 pm. I was laying in bed, sitting in my head thinking of thinking.I have a black room in my head, my fortress, where I am able to do what I feel, from walk in straight lines to conjuring images. Well while I was in bed I have made a process for my brain to become more powerful, simply by shutting down other senses. I would shut my eyes and lay in the dark, one less lot of information coming into the brain. I would then have things as silent as possible thus shutting down my ears. The next thing would be to focus on my dark room until i felt disconnected from my body. Once I achieved this I started thinking of thinking in another section of my head. Now what had happen was this. I looked upon the back wall of my black room and thought can I push that wall down take a step down into the new area I want to think in. In that instant it felt as though I had slotted down into the center of my head, like taking two steps down the stairs. What I was viewing was a little table with a S figured statue in front of me. The S statue was black but had the most vivid white S in the center of it. It felt as though I could have picked it up. At that moment I felt dizzy and the walls were spinning (much as when you have drunk to much alcohol) I feared this feeling because i felt I was getting stuck here. Before I knew it i was shaking my head trying to get back to what ever reality was at the time. I have never been able to achieve that state again. I haven't talked to many people if anyone about this either. I do ponder on it as much as I can though. Anyone have anything similar ever happen?

• 5 months later...

I once contemplated the thought of thinking in another area of my mind. I wanted to try think in a lower more closer to the middle section of my brain ( because thoughts feel they conjure at the front of my forehead). I went about thinking this for many weeks. Thinking and feeling this thought was becoming more real and with each passing hour i spent inside my head it felt more plausible. Until one day it was about 11 pm. I was laying in bed, sitting in my head thinking of thinking.I have a black room in my head, my fortress, where I am able to do what I feel, from walk in straight lines to conjuring images. Well while I was in bed I have made a process for my brain to become more powerful, simply by shutting down other senses. I would shut my eyes and lay in the dark, one less lot of information coming into the brain. I would then have things as silent as possible thus shutting down my ears. The next thing would be to focus on my dark room until i felt disconnected from my body. Once I achieved this I started thinking of thinking in another section of my head. Now what had happen was this. I looked upon the back wall of my black room and thought can I push that wall down take a step down into the new area I want to think in. In that instant it felt as though I had slotted down into the center of my head, like taking two steps down the stairs. What I was viewing was a little table with a S figured statue in front of me. The S statue was black but had the most vivid white S in the center of it. It felt as though I could have picked it up. At that moment I felt dizzy and the walls were spinning (much as when you have drunk to much alcohol) I feared this feeling because i felt I was getting stuck here. Before I knew it i was shaking my head trying to get back to what ever reality was at the time. I have never been able to achieve that state again. I haven't talked to many people if anyone about this either. I do ponder on it as much as I can though. Anyone have anything similar ever happen?

It's a pity nobody replied to you for so long...and I saw this post while looking to see if anybody out there has ever had similar experiences to myself and this is one of them.

I've had this happen to me quite a few times, actually when I have slowed my breathing and heart rate right down, in the attempt to either control or silence my thoughts during meditation.

So, I sit there...just 'watching' my thoughts like an objective observer...remaining totally detached from whatever I was thinking...and using an entirely different 'part of my brain' to do so...when all of a sudden, I had this other thought coming from somewhere else entirely different from all of that, going 'so, just who or what is observing the observer then?'

As my thoughts slowed down...I noticed that they just didn't all flow on and run into each other...there was a small space between each thought and so, I directed my whole mind and consciousness to exist within these 'spaces' and try to make them run for a 'longer time' in my brain...

I remember the last thought I ever get before this happens, is 'how can I not think about even thinking?' before my whole mind and awareness gets ripped through this dark energy vortex...kind of like a black hole and it's very unsettling...but also very calm and peaceful at the same time if I don't fight it.

Either fortunately or unfortunately, I cannot remain in this state for more than about a minute or so, before any thought will come rushing back in and I become consciously aware of myself and my surroundings once more.

So yup, I've definitely had this experience!

Edited by The Necromancer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting. I have had the "spinning" experience many times while meditating, but never what you describe. Does anyone have more thoughts about this? I'd be interested

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the replies guys, these are the closest descriptions I could relate to from my experience. I have never tried to get back to "that place" due to the fact that I do truly believe I was going to be trapped inside my head, as crazy as it sounds I don't want to take the chance, because it felt far to real. I have been told form some that I stumbled across something when I shouldn't have thus the overwhelming feeling I received, would love to hear more about your guys experiences.

I still don't get this "mind's eye" thing. Could someone explain.

I can only explain to my understanding of it. But here it goes. My comprehension of the minds eye is where the pictures come once I think/imagine something. I describe it as the minds eye because of the fact it feels like the thoughts conjure behind my forehead, in between my eyes. That's when I wanted to think some where else in my brain. I do believe it is possible. But I also don't know what went on in my description.

• Like 1

I describe it as the minds eye because of the fact it feels like the thoughts conjure behind my forehead, in between my eyes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that 'commonly' referred to as the third eye/brow chakra?

• 2 weeks later...

the mind is a wonderful thing.. I can compartmentalise within my own head.. its a useful thing.. ie.. if I see something distressing that would make most people break down or freak out.. I shunt it aside so it does not bother me.. though.. the down side is.. people say I lack emotional empathy.. all I know it does make for a stress free life :D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

the mind is a wonderful thing.. I can compartmentalise within my own head.. its a useful thing.. ie.. if I see something distressing that would make most people break down or freak out.. I shunt it aside so it does not bother me.. though.. the down side is.. people say I lack emotional empathy.. all I know it does make for a stress free life :D

The mind is a wonderful thing dingo, I like your outlook, as psychopathic as it may sound hahahaha kidding mate. Thanks for your input to

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

...just saying.

• Like 1

I believe you're right Austin, so why not try and explore it a little more aye? It's been a very long time since the above happened to me, I am always searching inside myself for new self discoveries. I am constantly amazed at the mental growth spurts this has led to.

Hello..I was just wanting to give some possible info into what you are in the process of..back in the early 90s I used to practice astral travel and along with that I came to a few things you may find interesting. during that time I tried hard to empty my head of thoughts and just see what would bubble up and trace it to the source, while experiencing a few seconds of having no thought, I heard a male voice say " you are having a metathought.", I had no idea as to what a "metathought" was...(although now I know that it mean "Thought about thought itself.") as I continued to explore the different states of consciousness and such, the more in became easier to clear my head of thoughts and just maintain a "singularity within self" which is basically having only the awareness of just my mind. I will mention that I am and have been mostly single and in finding work, I would most often find a job where I could work alone, as I started to realize that I was kind of sensitive empath/intuitive; which sucks. as it goes...I started reading about the pineal gland (or the 3rd eye) and started (unbeknownst to myself) the process of kundalini. as I ventured further and further into the inner workings of where my thoughts where originating from, I stumbled onto a few things..one..the pineal gland is an eye but it only works when your eyes are shut..it has cones and rods just like your regular eyes but the difference is that when viewing the world through the 3rd eye..all vision is of a dimmer contrast and has an almost static quality to it but it is real sight and when you look at people, there is something of a phenomenon that one can "see" the is attached to everyone, whether this is a halo or the crown aura..I have no clue, as most of the times this particular "thing" was always dark. now hear comes a word of caution...if you continue in your working you might, as what some refer to as "drowning"..that is when you are so open to other frequencies that one becomes not sure where your thoughts are coming from and/or if they are yours..there are a lot of details that I am excluding for my own sake because when I start to go down a certain stream of thought..things start to really mess with me. see, I have been in bands and doing recording since I was 17..and I have subjected myself (via headphones) to a vast array of sounds, tones, frequencies from ultra high to ultra low, and in doing that I guess you could say that I not exactly drowned but did something that is on one hand really good and on the other really bad..I reached a closeness with all living things to the point that birds would land on my shoulder (this freaked out some of my friends and people in my neighborhood), squirrels, raccoons would walk up to me..but electrical things would foul up..like walking down the frozen food aisle and have the lights go out..or be walking home at night and the streetlights would go out...needless to say..it all came to a head one day when I started hearing and seeing a lot of things...so much that I had to go to the psych ward of my local university hospital..I stayed a full week and left even after the two main doctors wanted to keep me for further testing and such..I was still hearing and seeing things for months after..but for the sake of my own mental well being I collapsed on what I was doing and just let the doctors poke and prod me till they came to the conclusion that I was schizo and started me on a wide selection of chemical cocktails to stop the constant barrage of voices and visions..they never stop...it has been 8 years since my "so-called" diagnosis (I am 45) and I still hear and see things. so...take it as it is...one is going to do what one will do..but I will just say this...BE CAREFUL...there are things, that are vastly way smarter than any one of us humans and when we open too many doors, things will see and hear you...and they all have very cold and cunning intelligence. also...if while working in thoughts, you begin to hear a tone change..you know..the sound you hear when you hear "nothing"...if that changes, stop whatever you are doing and and tense you whole body up, it is only temporary but it works.

Edited by Godzilla52670
  • Thanks 1

In Taoist Nei Gong there are nine 'palaces' arrayed around the head space.

They are all part of your natural process but most are seldom accessed.

There are also many others located inside other locations of the body as well as without it...

To alter the monkey mind very effectively, either to quiet/stop thinking, or to affect the type of thinking, consciously change your breath rate/depth and play with saturation/sublimation (holding full lungs, or relaxing when lungs emptied). Play around with your breathing rate and see what effects it has on your mind, it's stunning. Very simple one to quiet the mind and heart is to breath in for a count of 4, hold for 4, breath out for 6, hold for 6... repeat.

We can live for 4 weeks without food, 4 days without water, 4 minutes without air.

Air is the engine of life and the pulse of consciousness...

• Like 1

Hello..I was just wanting to give some possible info into what you are in the process of..back in the early 90s I used to practice astral travel and along with that I came to a few things you may find interesting. during that time I tried hard to empty my head of thoughts and just see what would bubble up and trace it to the source, while experiencing a few seconds of having no thought, I heard a male voice say " you are having a metathought.", I had no idea as to what a "metathought" was...(although now I know that it mean "Thought about thought itself.") as I continued to explore the different states of consciousness and such, the more in became easier to clear my head of thoughts and just maintain a "singularity within self" which is basically having only the awareness of just my mind. I will mention that I am and have been mostly single and in finding work, I would most often find a job where I could work alone, as I started to realize that I was kind of sensitive empath/intuitive; which sucks. as it goes...I started reading about the pineal gland (or the 3rd eye) and started (unbeknownst to myself) the process of kundalini. as I ventured further and further into the inner workings of where my thoughts where originating from, I stumbled onto a few things..one..the pineal gland is an eye but it only works when your eyes are shut..it has cones and rods just like your regular eyes but the difference is that when viewing the world through the 3rd eye..all vision is of a dimmer contrast and has an almost static quality to it but it is real sight and when you look at people, there is something of a phenomenon that one can "see" the is attached to everyone, whether this is a halo or the crown aura..I have no clue, as most of the times this particular "thing" was always dark. now hear comes a word of caution...if you continue in your working you might, as what some refer to as "drowning"..that is when you are so open to other frequencies that one becomes not sure where your thoughts are coming from and/or if they are yours..there are a lot of details that I am excluding for my own sake because when I start to go down a certain stream of thought..things start to really mess with me. see, I have been in bands and doing recording since I was 17..and I have subjected myself (via headphones) to a vast array of sounds, tones, frequencies from ultra high to ultra low, and in doing that I guess you could say that I not exactly drowned but did something that is on one hand really good and on the other really bad..I reached a closeness with all living things to the point that birds would land on my shoulder (this freaked out some of my friends and people in my neighborhood), squirrels, raccoons would walk up to me..but electrical things would foul up..like walking down the frozen food aisle and have the lights go out..or be walking home at night and the streetlights would go out...needless to say..it all came to a head one day when I started hearing and seeing a lot of things...so much that I had to go to the psych ward of my local university hospital..I stayed a full week and left even after the two main doctors wanted to keep me for further testing and such..I was still hearing and seeing things for months after..but for the sake of my own mental well being I collapsed on what I was doing and just let the doctors poke and prod me till they came to the conclusion that I was schizo and started me on a wide selection of chemical cocktails to stop the constant barrage of voices and visions..they never stop...it has been 8 years since my "so-called" diagnosis (I am 45) and I still hear and see things. so...take it as it is...one is going to do what one will do..but I will just say this...BE CAREFUL...there are things, that are vastly way smarter than any one of us humans and when we open too many doors, things will see and hear you...and they all have very cold and cunning intelligence. also...if while working in thoughts, you begin to hear a tone change..you know..the sound you hear when you hear "nothing"...if that changes, stop whatever you are doing and and tense you whole body up, it is only temporary but it works.

Hey godzilla, some of the things you explained I can relate to, after doing what I explained I wasn't able to distinguish thoughts very well anymore and started to become very groggy inside my head. Things have gotten better the last year how ever I cannot achieve the states I used to. I am at peace in myself currently and am on a new path of learning about myself. I had a run in with a few psychologists myself. I didn't believe what they had to say with all my heart. Nothing psychological but more coping mechanisms for the world around me, they still missed a lot of points though. The fact that deep thinking is what keeps me going is one. I do believe we are a large receptor, as you have said we must tread carefully. I really appreciate you saying this aswell. I have been so close to the edge of loosing the grip on reality due to the mind exercises I was teaching/practicing myself. I shall read a little more on this "kundalini". I hope all is well and you know inside yourself what was going on now or all those years back. One thing I did used to cop was migraines after this type of thinking. 5-7 days of the week they would cripple me. I have heard/seen things that lead me to believe there is some pretty freaky **** in this world, more in our head and our capabilities. I have been told to be careful quite a number of times, I can see how this type of thinking leads to mental health issues, but more in the way of being labeled with mental health issues as a lot of society cannot accept anything else because they don't understand. Western psychology VS eastern philosophy I believe. So far I am very content within myself and glad I went through the above.

In Taoist Nei Gong there are nine 'palaces' arrayed around the head space.

They are all part of your natural process but most are seldom accessed.

There are also many others located inside other locations of the body as well as without it...

To alter the monkey mind very effectively, either to quiet/stop thinking, or to affect the type of thinking, consciously change your breath rate/depth and play with saturation/sublimation (holding full lungs, or relaxing when lungs emptied). Play around with your breathing rate and see what effects it has on your mind, it's stunning. Very simple one to quiet the mind and heart is to breath in for a count of 4, hold for 4, breath out for 6, hold for 6... repeat.

We can live for 4 weeks without food, 4 days without water, 4 minutes without air.

Air is the engine of life and the pulse of consciousness...

I have practiced all sorts of breathing techniques in my younger times, I bike ride a lot now and it is all I do (focusing on breathing that is). I will also read up on "Taoist Nei Gong". I have always loved/believed and felt like I've known why Buddhism is Buddhism. Karma affects my life hugely, I focus everyday on the karma scale and it really helps me. It shows me the what goes up must come down or the pendulum swaying back and fourth is very real in the world. That balance is necessary. Not negative or positive, just the way you interpret. Cheers quiXilver.I appreciate you guys adding your thoughts to this. I have grown much since I had wrote this. I am no longer in fear of my own mind and am starting to really harness it's great capabilities. The sky is the limit type of thing.

• Like 1

When meditating I've often found myself in what seems to be in a dark room back in my brain, versus the front. Maybe it's just perceptial instead of literal, but very interesting

• Like 1

When meditating I've often found myself in what seems to be in a dark room back in my brain, versus the front. Maybe it's just perceptial instead of literal, but very interesting

Really interesting indeed, I bet if we were brought up with this thinking in mind, we would be much happier within ourselves. For example, I never would have thought I was loosing my mind. But I am glad I have gone through the bits and bobs, the mental growth has been quite a ride/journey and I am thankful to the fact we have this awesome ability to venture and learn about ourselves.