Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Children recall past lives as Buddhist monks

UM-Bot

Dr. Erlendur Haraldsson has been investigating cases in which children have recalled past life memories.

While the concept of past lives and the idea that people can remember who they used to be remains a highly controversial topic, some researchers have documented tantalizing evidence suggesting that there may be something more to the phenomenon than a child's overactive imagination.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-buddhist-monks

• Like 1

This subject has always fascinated me.

there are just too many cases of young children recalling past lifes with great accuracy and detail for it to be a fruitful imagination,

Our flesh and bone vessels rise and fall but the infinite life force within passes on throughout time, inhabiting one body after an other and seemingly retaining information and experience along the way!

• Like 3

this same thing happened to me when I was 3 till about 9, but as I grew older the memories dissipated.

• Like 1

What if these people are not actually recalling details of their own past lives, but are just retrieving data from the collective consciousness of other people's past lives, like stumbling upon random data in a genetic library or a form of Akashic Records?

• Like 5

If they are remembering past lives as monks then they weren't very successful monks, since the point of being a month is to escape Samsara (the rebirth cycle) and enter Nirvana (bliss).

It seems to me children can be "encouraged" to remember all sorts of things, and the memories become quite real to them. A lot of men are in jail because their wives encouraged certain memories during divorce contests.

There is a serious logical problem with remembering past lives -- where is the memory stored during the interval where the brain has decayed and a new one is growing? We have plenty of physical evidence that memory is a brain function, as well as the plain testimony of what happens when there are diseases of the brain.

I would not be entirely disbelieving though. It is possible to imagine other places where memories are stored in addition to the brain -- some sort of spiritual place -- but it does seem problematic to see how one could ever demonstrate such a thing. I think it is like ghosts and angels and demon possession and lake monsters and wood nymphs -- possible but unlikely and not capable of being proven and so scientific and philosophical wastes of time.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm with Frank Merton on this one... they mustn't have been good buddists monks the first time around to be reincarnated as monks again. I guess good help is hard to find...

On one hand, reincarnation is scientifically ridiculous. On the other, I'm not sure how else to explain things like this, where the information is recorded immediately by someone conducting scientific study. I'd like to read the original report and learn the methods taken.

so he made it !

cool

With a little training, and access to the cosmic consciousness, anyone can enter a stored past life, and interact with the person stored in a sort of virtual reality. That doesn't mean you WERE that person, just that your consciousness is linked to it via the cosmic consciousness. You can learn from this contact/ experience, but you cant alter the stored life of the dead person, or even convince it that it has died. Well at least I have never been able to. It is no longer self aware or learning growing, but you can enter into the stored virtual life and interact with it.

this same thing happened to me when I was 3 till about 9, but as I grew older the memories dissipated.

Is that why you look so sad and depressed ?

What if these people are not actually recalling details of their own past lives, but are just retrieving data from the collective consciousness of other people's past lives, like stumbling upon random data in a genetic library or a form of Akashic Records?

Ummmm , what you describe, is actually what reincarnation is (although you dumbed it down for us), from the Buddhist perspective (since they dont believe in the soul, the only thing to pass on is the 'energy field imprint') ... from the Hindu perspective ? Well the word isnt even in the Bahagvad Gita ! The word used is translated into English. by Indian scholars, as 'transmigration' of the soul, which they do believe in. But it 'transmigrates' - moves to somewhere else.

Think of waves breaking on the shore.

Edited by back to earth

If they are remembering past lives as monks then they weren't very successful monks, since the point of being a month is to escape Samsara (the rebirth cycle) and enter Nirvana (bliss).

Just becoming a monk doesnt lead to that. It can take time and practice and many incarnations - according to them. Even if it is achieved there is the Bodhisatva, one that delays their progress to come back and help ... since they are turning up in the west ... that could hint at something ???

It seems to me children can be "encouraged" to remember all sorts of things, and the memories become quite real to them. A lot of men are in jail because their wives encouraged certain memories during divorce contests.

There is a serious logical problem with remembering past lives -- where is the memory stored during the interval where the brain has decayed and a new one is growing? We have plenty of physical evidence that memory is a brain function, as well as the plain testimony of what happens when there are diseases of the brain.

I would not be entirely disbelieving though. It is possible to imagine other places where memories are stored in addition to the brain -- some sort of spiritual place -- but it does seem problematic to see how one could ever demonstrate such a thing. I think it is like ghosts and angels and demon possession and lake monsters and wood nymphs -- possible but unlikely and not capable of being proven and so scientific and philosophical wastes of time.

Philosophical wastes of time ?

Dont tell Plato

:su

Yeah I'm with Frank Merton on this one... they mustn't have been good buddists monks the first time around to be reincarnated as monks again. I guess good help is hard to find...

No, its just that you are making smart comments and being sarcastic about something you have very little understanding of ... again .

Children always seem to be accused of having overactive imaginations. If you've been around small children a lot

and observe and listen to what they say about situations, they tell it as it is.

Oooh. :3 one more thing that suggests reincarnation.