Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman scared of dentist superglued her teeth

Still Waters

A mother was so terrified of going to the dentist she used superglue to stick her broken teeth back into her mouth when they fell out.

Angie Barlow, 48, performed dangerous DIY dentistry on herself for more than a decade.

Eventually, the toxic chemicals in the glue meant she lost 90 per cent of the bone supporting her teeth in her upper jaw, and she was forced to spend her life savings on treatment.

http://www.dailymail...d-jaw-bone.html

• Like 2

She married the guy she's been stuck on since primary school, I heard.

• Like 2

Eventually, the toxic chemicals in the glue meant she lost 90 per cent of the bone supporting her teeth in her upper jaw,

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3105676/Mother-terrified-dentists-used-SUPERGLUE-stick-teeth-mouth-10-years-slowly-eroded-jaw-bone.html#ixzz3bqLb0NUg

Well erosion does not occur over night, so she must have known what using it was doing to her teeth, she was seeing it happen over time. But she was afraid of the dentist, but using a toxic substance did not faze her? some people, the mind boggles!

She must have been a child when her mother died.

So psychologically - she related her mothers death - by going to the dentist ? -

hence the throat cancer that was found in her mother.

Poor woman, what a terrible crippling fear to have to bare.

Good to know that she finally sought proper treatment.

Gluing her own teeth back in was darn strange though - it's a wonder she didn't die of toxic poisoning :unsure2:

Edited by Astra-

Well erosion does not occur over night, so she must have known what using it was doing to her teeth, she was seeing it happen over time.

No, not necessarily. She quite possibly would not have known. People frequently do stupid stuff to their bodies, see the results yet are incapable of associating it with any of the mentioned stupid stuff they had been doing.

People can eat a horrid diet for years, see their weight sky-rocket and develop diabetes yet are unable to connect that with their deliberate bad diet so why should this woman be any different?

I understand her apprehension of dentists; I am no fan either but if I break or crack a tooth then I just have to simply go whether I like it or not. Well..now she is broke because of her unaddressed phobia. Sad really.

No, not necessarily. She quite possibly would not have known. People frequently do stupid stuff to their bodies, see the results yet are incapable of associating it with any of the mentioned stupid stuff they had been doing.

People can eat a horrid diet for years, see their weight sky-rocket and develop diabetes yet are unable to connect that with their deliberate bad diet so why should this woman be any different?

I understand her apprehension of dentists; I am no fan either but if I break or crack a tooth then I just have to simply go whether I like it or not. Well..now she is broke because of her unaddressed phobia. Sad really.

have you seen the picture of her teeth? erosion does not occur over night. No way she could not have noticed. You are right, people can eat a horrid diet for years, they know EXACTLY whats happening, but either can not be bothered to change because they enjoy it or have some mental issues which makes them unable to stop the cravings or addictions or as in this womans case...go to the dentist.

She must have been a child when her mother died.

So psychologically - she related her mothers death - by going to the dentist ? -

hence the throat cancer that was found in her mother.

Poor woman, what a terrible crippling fear to have to bare.

Good to know that she finally sought proper treatment.

Gluing her own teeth back in was darn strange though - it's a wonder she didn't die of toxic poisoning :unsure2:

I do not understand this woman and feel the mother thing may have been the reason for her not going initially, but then she found the superglue....would not surprise me if it gave her some sort of high and thats the reason she did not go to the dentist.

NO person in their right mind would use a cancer scare to stop them going to the dentist and yet stuff their blood supply and mouth with toxins? but we have already established she is not in her right mind....i put that down to the glue. :tu:

The way I see it is she had an extreme phobia of the dentist after one found throat cancer in her mother's mouth. I think that part is understandable to a point except in her case it totally frightened her away. We should remember that people with phobias can do things that are totally irrational and absurd to anyone who doesn't feel the same way. What she did as a replacement to going to the dentist was very extreme and the mind boggles how she could even do that, but because of it she ended up having surgery and spent even more time in the dentist chair to get her mouth fixed. Her DIY dentistry backfired on her good style.

I'm scared of the dentist but at least I have the sense to go regularly. I'm trying to put myself in her shoes and the way she must have felt to do such a drastic thing in order to avoid going, she must have been desperate. Silly woman, she could have avoided so much if she'd just gone to the dentist right from the start.

• Like 3

Poor thing, I feel bad for her waiting so long to take care of her teeth. I don't remember seeing it in the article, but I wonder if using the household glue along with the rotting teeth, caused any other health issues for her?

• Like 1

For me the problem is that I hate having a bunch of stuff crammed into my mouth. My 'fear' (if you could call it that) isn't because it might hurt a bit, but rather that I'm going to smother/choke to death on all that stuff plus someone's hands. I finally just told my hygenist and dentist and now that they are aware of my issue it's much less stressful for me to go to the dentist.

Just to add, I have pretty good teeth though...I've always gone to the dentist (just never liked it much).

Edited by Lilly
addition

have you seen the picture of her teeth? erosion does not occur over night. No way she could not have noticed. You are right, people can eat a horrid diet for years, they know EXACTLY whats happening, but either can not be bothered to change because they enjoy it or have some mental issues which makes them unable to stop the cravings or addictions or as in this womans case...go to the dentist.

Yes, I did indeed see images of her teeth.

I never said she didn't notice her teeth going bad but that doesn't mean she knew her deliberate actions were causing problems. People can be notoriously oblivious (and stupid) when it comes to their own health.

But I still maintain that people can watch their health go to hell in a hand basket every day and still have no idea that their actions caused it.

People can be over weight and have diabetes yet still have no idea that cramming Mc-Schmuk garbage, twinkies and a 12 pqack of soda down their gullets had anything to do with it.

Yes, I did indeed see images of her teeth.

I never said she didn't notice her teeth going bad but that doesn't mean she knew her deliberate actions were causing problems. People can be notoriously oblivious (and stupid) when it comes to their own health.

But I still maintain that people can watch their health go to hell in a hand basket every day and still have no idea that their actions caused it.

People can be over weight and have diabetes yet still have no idea that cramming Mc-Schmuk garbage, twinkies and a 12 pqack of soda down their gullets had anything to do with it.

i sort of see where you are coming from, but I have a slightly different take on it, I agree that people can watch their health go to hell, but I think they are aware that their actions are causing it.....but due to "addiction" or maybe even "comfort" they choose to continue, unfortunately for many it is only until the body tells them enough is enough, is when they finally decide to seek help.