Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Part of the darkness is darker than the rest

UM-Bot

Tobias Wayland: I am awake. I was asleep a moment ago, but I’m definitely awake now; although I’m not certain I’m supposed to be. I know I can move, since I am able to rotate my head to the left. I don’t think it’s a good idea to move too much, though; because I’m floating a couple of feet above my bed. My bedroom is dark, but not completely so. The ambient light of the suburbs allows me to see the outline of its contents. My weight bench is there, and so is my dresser; and in front of them, part of the darkness is darker than the rest. This part is roughly man-shaped, and right next to me. I am not afraid. I suppose I ought to be, but I’m not. I’m not certain that the man-shaped darkness knows that, since he reaches out his left hand and places it comfortingly on my chest. I can still feel it today, every time I think about what happened.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 1

I believe you. You are in actuality relaying true events. I am one of a community that is experiencing a different activity.

I appreciate all of the kindness, effort, research and time that many have spent in providing possible explanations. The bottom line though is that unless you have had the experience yourself, it is not considered paranormal, but it is. It is not demonic, just an aspect of the varsity of life and the unknown. People should not assume the unknown to be an evil force of energy.

The experiences that my community have are related to Vibrations in the bed with pushing sensations at times. I have discovered that this specific activity is happening to people on a global bases. I have decided to try to obtain video testimonials specifically on this activity for a documentary.

Yesterday it occurred to me that those with the vibratin bed activity are to unite. ...like a wake- up call. U ITE for what, I do not know, but unite we must.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As to whether terror is an integral part of sleep paralysis, during the only occasion I experienced this, I rapidly realised what was going on as I had read about the phenomenon many times, and despite this I still felt unbelievable terror which only slowly dissipated once I was able to make a sound and move a bit. My case was pretty standard, with a black form on the bed beside me pushing down with their 'hands' on my chest, and a second black form standing at the end of the bed slightly to one side, the same side as the form in the bed. I don't believe in my case there was anything paranormal. As with psychosomatic illnesses, the brain is capable of so many illusions that feel totally real. I would need a lot of convincing this (including the examples in the main article) is anything other than the brain doing what it does. However, I am opened minded and quite happy to be convinced - someone filming themselves during one of these episodes would be hugely illuminating.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Susanc241

"In their castle beyond the night, In their dungeon's evil light, Gather the Gods as even fades, And Darkness Weaves with many Shades....."

• Like 1

Very well written and interesting subject. I have experienced what I assume was sleep paralysis and it was terrifying, I was asleep on my tummy and awoke to feel as if I was being held down. I could move my head to the right and left trying to see what was holding me down and was saying either in my mind or out loud (can't remember which and no one else was home) for it to get off and leave me alone! I felt like it was trying to assault me. I kept telling it to leave and it finally stopped and I immediately flipped myself over, said a prayer and went back to sleep.

I do very much like your style of writing. Very witty. Thank you!

• 7 months later...

As with psychosomatic illnesses, the brain is capable of so many illusions that feel totally real.

You state this as a categorical fact, but it is not. For one, a full understanding of what human consciousness is and how it comes to be would be required before one could even begin contemplating tackling the problem of how that consciousness interacts with its environment, at which point one may have enough understanding to identify what is illusion and what is not. Maybe.

But we don't know any of those things, and, as the general academic materialist paradigm seems to be that consciousness is itself an illusion or "emergent epiphenomena" of the brain, any progress in understanding seems a long way off, at the least.