Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If we find aliens, they will be machines

Still Waters

Alien contact is likely to come from machines living on other worlds outside of the solar system, the astronomer royal Martin Rees has said.

Prof Lord Rees, 72, told the Cheltenham Science Festival 'I'm not holding my breath' for signs of extraterrestrial life, but said if a signal was picked up it would not be from organic life, like humans.

He said that most space exploration would be carried out by machines, which would not constrained by the physical difficulties of existing in space or on other planets.

http://www.telegraph...e-machines.html

• Like 4

This makes sense. Humans evolve, and the time they would have to spend out in space means generations, do we have the technology to deal with that kind of evolution yet? do not think so.

It also means he does not believe we have been visited by aliens of an organic matter already. Wonder what the believers think about this.

• Like 2

Well when you think about it, still safer than meeting eye to eye..

• Like 1

I tend to agree. I never could fathom the sci-fantasies of worm holes, other dimensions, folding space, warping time..

• Like 1

I tend to agree. I never could fathom the sci-fantasies of worm holes, other dimensions, folding space, warping time..

Those aren't necessarily fantasies. They are all permissible by the laws of physics.

• Like 9

Probably.

• Like 2

The aliens can contact me directly with winning lottery numbers in binary code. In return, they can probe me all they want and I won't sue them in Intergalactic Court.

• Like 2

There was a thread on this previously... wasnt there?

• Like 1

Anyway, can you imagine the time lag it will take for an alien machine to report back it had found life...us? Depending from where they originated it would take quite some time to report back to HQ wouldnt it?

Anyway, can you imagine the time lag it will take for an alien machine to report back it had found life...us? Depending from where they originated it would take quite some time to report back to HQ wouldnt it?

One would think. Unless they found a way to use entangled particles to communicate, assuming entangled particles stay entangled over vast distances.

• Like 1

Well yes, as I've often said, it surely makes far more sense to use (probably AI) machine and drones to do your exploration than manned craft. It's how we do it after all.

• Like 1

Which is why it would be logical not to waste time sending signals back to where they came from and waiting for a reply, I think the ideas about exploration of space being likely to follow a colonial pattern seem quite sensible. For example, by setting up a forward base in each planetary system that looks promising (and there's so much more than just this planet in this system that would repay study, after all).

Those aren't necessarily fantasies. They are all permissible by the laws of physics.

You are correct. I should have used a different word.

I still think the math is incorrect in the real world, or universe that is. . Just my personal suspicions, not based on anything other than that. My poor brain is just incapable of wrapping itself around such hypotheses and theories.

And what may fuel such craft through the enormous distances? Not like they can fill up at a gas station is it?

Unless they go as slow as the Voyager probe we sent out 36 years ago which, has only travelled one light DAY in all that time, and in 18.5 billion miles

edit, not miles, km's

Edited by seeder

You are correct. I should have used a different word.

I still think the math is incorrect in the real world, or universe that is. . Just my personal suspicions, not based on anything other than that. My poor brain is just incapable of wrapping itself around such hypotheses and theories.

You're not alone. It's not easy for most people to comprehend much of the science of space travel.

For myself, all I can say about the OP is "Yeah, maybe. Maybe not." Indecisive, sure, but we have no clue how other beings would explore. Maybe they're immortal, and can stand the time needed. Maybe they would make short hops from one system to another (still a long time, but more reasonable than one long voyage). Maybe they're a race of living binary digits, using the souls of undead maintainence workers to colonize the stars. We....just....don't....know (say that in your best Willam Shatner voice at the next party you go to. You'll be a hit. Or you'll get hit. Either way, don't blame me.)

• Like 1

And what may fuel such craft through the enormous distances? Not like they can fill up at a gas station is it?

Unless they go as slow as the Voyager probe we sent out 36 years ago which, has only travelled one light DAY in all that time, and in 18.5 billion miles

edit, not miles, km's

I thought we all agreed on mercury vortex engines???!! But seriously this is a great question I never see answered.

• Like 1

They've already found aliens, in the way of minerals and bacteria.

They've already found aliens, in the way of minerals and bacteria.

eh? as in non terrestial? Dont think so

I'd agree that exploration and first contacts should be done by way of some kind of probe. And if we do communicate with some form of ET entity, it likely would be an exploration device, not an organic being.

Though I do think that if aliens did send some kind of probe here, that creating organic robots (little grey fellows) might not be any real effort at all for them.

And you are trying to convey...what exactly?

Cheers,

Badeskov

In that link I find Agatha Christie's quote spot on. "The impossible could not have happened,

therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances". Think about it.

In that link I find Agatha Christie's quote spot on. "The impossible could not have happened,

therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances". Think about it.

We all are looking at options, but none are trying to invent options besides the believer segment that seems hellbent on pushing something that has no ties to reality.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

I thought we all agreed on mercury vortex engines???!! But seriously this is a great question I never see answered.

Nuclear powered propulsion?

I mean if you accelerate at one G, in one day you would reach a velocity of nearly 2,000,000 mph. In approximately a year at one G acceleration you would be approaching the speed of light.

• Like 1